ADVERTISEMENT

California

TMan92

All-American
May 29, 2001
San Juan Capistrano, CA
Starting to see more of these articles. I mentioned that I am pretty certain I had the virus in early February and how many people I know in Orange County got really ill without testing positive for the flu.

Will be interesting to see how the antibody experiments look that they are currently doing randomly in LA.

https://sfist.com/2020/04/10/some-s...us-caused-californias-oddly-early-flu-season/

I think its entirely possible you had Coronavirus in February. But keep in mind 80-90% of people that think they have Coronavirus symptoms, haven't had it when tested.

I also don't understand how California hospitals weren't overrun in February, if it was spreading then. Especially as the article hypothesizes its possible herd immunity was achieved.

Just my WAG but I think in the end it will be determined this virus doesn't spread as much in warmer weather.

I think its entirely possible you had Coronavirus in February. But keep in mind 80-90% of people that think they have Coronavirus symptoms, haven't had it when tested.

I also don't understand how California hospitals weren't overrun in February, if it was spreading then. Especially as the article hypothesizes its possible herd immunity was achieved.

Just my WAG but I think in the end it will be determined this virus doesn't spread as much in warmer weather.

I don't disagree. It was just really weird here in January. Lots of pneumonia and a couple parents of friends died of it (older people). Just was being chalked up as a bad flu.

Need to get the antibody testing cranking to figure this out.

Also, who knows if I had it. It was a really strange couple weeks and I had just gotten over a cold a week or two earlier (I never get back to back colds in a year). I have never felt weaker from a sickness in my whole life when it hit me after getting a sore throat.

Here is another article from the LA times

https://www.latimes.com/california/...rus-deaths-signs-of-earlier-spread-california

Last edited:
I don't disagree. It was just really weird here in January. Lots of pneumonia and a couple parents of friends died of it (older people). Just was being chalked up as a bad flu.

Need to get the antibody testing cranking to figure this out.

Also, who knows if I had it. It was a really strange couple weeks and I had just gotten over a cold a week or two earlier (I never get back to back colds in a year). I have never felt weaker from a sickness in my whole life when it hit me after getting a sore throat.

Here is another article from the LA times

https://www.latimes.com/california/...rus-deaths-signs-of-earlier-spread-california

We don't need any more testing. The President told me that we don't need it, and he's a smart, honest man.

Starting to see more of these articles. I mentioned that I am pretty certain I had the virus in early February and how many people I know in Orange County got really ill without testing positive for the flu.

Will be interesting to see how the antibody experiments look that they are currently doing randomly in LA.

https://sfist.com/2020/04/10/some-s...us-caused-californias-oddly-early-flu-season/
I thought the NYT Already established that it came from Europe, in January. Weird.

But apparently failed to mention a fair amount of Chinese traveled to Italy earlier in the year before the outbreak

So as we've established the "China Travel Ban" while good in theory, was pretty much actually useless in practice. The fact that Trump thought that single act was going to be enough to stop a virus that doens't recognize borders, walls, race, gender, etc is mind-boggling short-sighted.

The fact that so many of his supporters continue to harp on that one act is just as mind boggling.

I thought the NYT Already established that it came from Europe, in January. Weird.

The outbreak in NY was mainly caused by US citizens and Europeans coming back from Europe. That is not wrong. Many flights from Europe come through NY and NJ.

I would guess 80% of the people that came back from China went through California. This includes Chinese nationals and the large amount of US citizens that work and travel between Asia. The travel ban allowed US citizens to come back. Same as the Europe ban.

The time gap on why the west coast most likely had the issue earlier was the first community based cases were on the west coast. Then Europe got it at the same point and the secondary cases by Europeans that originally got it from a Chinese source came to the US after the Chinese travel ban.

Add the NYC population density to the mix and you have the larger case totals and deaths.

Warmer, and/or maybe more sunny. I remember reading a research article several years ago now that said the big food festivals have less cases of food poisoning/ilness when it was more sunny, not necessarily warmer. Sure, a different bug, but UV is powerful. I have read a few research articles on the topic and while inconclusive most tend to lean toward the summer will slow it some.

The outbreak in NY was mainly caused by US citizens and Europeans coming back from Europe. That is not wrong. Many flights from Europe come through NY and NJ.

I would guess 80% of the people that came back from China went through California. This includes Chinese nationals and the large amount of US citizens that work and travel between Asia. The travel ban allowed US citizens to come back. Same as the Europe ban.

The time gap on why the west coast most likely had the issue earlier was the first community based cases were on the west coast. Then Europe got it at the same point and the secondary cases by Europeans that originally got it from a Chinese source came to the US after the Chinese travel ban.

Add the NYC population density to the mix and you have the larger case totals and deaths.

It's also hypothesized that Detroit could have been badly hit as it is also a major international flight hub. Complete hypothesis, but would be interesting if they analyzed it as they did with NYC to see where it came from.

But apparently failed to mention a fair amount of Chinese traveled to Italy earlier in the year before the outbreak

Did you read the article?

It mentions one European country specifically -- Italy.

And it clearly states:

-There was a ban placed on foreign nationals who had been to China within a 2 week period on January 31
-The ban on European travelers came on March 11, which it states was weeks after Italy had gone on lockdown

The hole in that strategy was obviously between Jan. 31 and March 11, it had already been spreading around Italy, so Italian nationals and Americans in Italy who had never been to China...were coming to the US.

Thus, how the NYC spread heavily came from Europe.

The problem with the bans also included:

1. There was never a ban on Americans coming from either China or Italy/Europe. It banned the foreign nationals, but if you had a US visa or passport, you could still travel from those hot spots. Of course, we know that the virus doesn't identify by nationality, so it filtered the entry at best, but obviously didn't come close to stopping it.

2. There was and currently still is very little screening on airline passengers. A US citizen can still fly from Italy to the US today. And international or domestic passengers aren't being screened for temperature, told to self quarantine 14 days, etc.

Warmer, and/or maybe more sunny. I remember reading a research article several years ago now that said the big food festivals have less cases of food poisoning/ilness when it was more sunny, not necessarily warmer. Sure, a different bug, but UV is powerful. I have read a few research articles on the topic and while inconclusive most tend to lean toward the summer will slow it some.
This has been one of the coolest, rainiest March/April periods here I can recall. That said, Jan/Feb were pretty dry, but not particularly warm by our standards. Wouldn’t rule out that it’s impacted us. While we shut down earlier than most places, like everywhere else we still have people blowing it off, and we still have cases popping up in the county. 480 some as of today I think.

Reactions: Purdue97 and BSIT
This has been one of the coolest, rainiest March/April periods here I can recall. That said, Jan/Feb were pretty dry, but not particularly warm by our standards. Wouldn’t rule out that it’s impacted us. While we shut down earlier than most places, like everywhere else we still have people blowing it off, and we still have cases popping up in the county. 480 some as of today I think.
And what I find amazing is Michigan now has more deaths than California which tells me California's governor was more proactive ahead of the curve and / or Michigan got more infections from Europe than China.

Very little.

The global economy has been hammered. People around the globe have died, and will continue to die until a vaccine is distributed to everyone around the globe that needs it.

But yeah China's cover up has very little to do with this. Interesting analysis.

Reactions: doubleyous
And what I find amazing is Michigan now has more deaths than California which tells me California's governor was more proactive ahead of the curve and / or Michigan got more infections from Europe than China.

Detroit is one of the main airports that is flown into from China. That said, death tolls need to be looked at closer. For example, here in IN, I think approximately 18 of the deaths are due to one nursing home that the virus got into. And before the presence was realized, some had been transferred. My aunt's nursing home near Keystone at the Crossings took some people in, and now that place has an out break. My aunt has it(88 year old/no symptoms yet) but others there are not fortunate. That demographic of over 80, in assisted care, with other health issues does not fair well at all.

Reactions: BSIT
Detroit is one of the main airports that is flown into from China. That said, death tolls need to be looked at closer. For example, here in IN, I think approximately 18 of the deaths are due to one nursing home that the virus got into. And before the presence was realized, some had been transferred. My aunt's nursing home near Keystone at the Crossings took some people in, and now that place has an out break. My aunt has it(88 year old/no symptoms yet) but others there are not fortunate. That demographic of over 80, in assisted care, with other health issues does not fair well at all.
Yes, there are a lot of flights from China to Detroit. We lived in the Detroit metro area for 21 years and my wife use to travel there often. However, the timing of how Detroit and NYC outbreaks lagged the West coast and occurred after the China travel restrictions which tells me they probably got infected from Europe. I could be wrong but the outbreak timing is why I'm saying it.

Look at this article. The list looks like a who's who of hot spots.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/coronavirus-china-travel-restrictions.html

Also in reading this, I think we should have quarantined all of these people somewhere and not just let them go home.

The global economy has been hammered. People around the globe have died, and will continue to die until a vaccine is distributed to everyone around the globe that needs it.

But yeah China's cover up has very little to do with this. Interesting analysis.

China's cover up didn't cause Trump's lack of action in Jan, Feb, and early March.

He had the intelligence as far back as November.

He ignored it all and did little until after the private sector and states started taking action.

So China could have throwing up blinking lights and it would have mattered little to our President. His own government was throwing up blinking lights and he not only ignored it, he actively stood in the way.

China's cover up didn't cause Trump's lack of action in Jan, Feb, and early March.

He ignored it all and did little until after the private sector and states started taking action.

So China could have throwing up blinking lights and it would have mattered little to our President. His own government was throwing up blinking lights and he not only ignored it, he actively stood in the way.
And the carping goes on and on and on. Nothing will satisfy some. So had Trump closed down the country in January people would complain since virtually no cases were known here and it would damage the economy.
Some of the worlds smartest people on this board know how to handle this situation. Tomorrow’s a new day so bring on more of the same Trump bashing. We know he didn’t or hasn’t done hardly a thing right since his inauguration.

Look around the world. Educate yourself on what's going on with the global economy & lockdowns around the world. Is that all Trumps fault as well?

Unbelievable to me that a virus can likely start in wet market in China, and then China proceeds to cover it up for a period of time (silencing the Dr who first discovered it, kicking reporters out of country, etc etc) and we are more upset with the U.S. federal government.....than we are with the government of China. WTF??

Reactions: Purdue97
Look around the world. Educate yourself on what's going on with the global economy & lockdowns around the world. Is that all Trumps fault as well?

Unbelievable to me that a virus can likely start in wet market in China, and then China proceeds to cover it up for a period of time (silencing the Dr who first discovered it, kicking reporters out of country, etc etc) and we are more upset with the U.S. federal government.....than we are with the government of China. WTF??
Trump Bad. Dementia Joe Good.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2

The US Federal government is responsible for the United States. China is not. Its that simple. Sure I think what China did is dispicable but thats what happens with authoritarian rule . There is nothing I can do to hold them accountable. So it would be a waste of time and energy to dwell on somthing I cannot change. Fortunately I live in America and can do something about my governments response. The US Federal government and its leader were warned time and time again that this is going to be very bad and they failed to act. They had at minimum a month and a half to get the mechanisms in gear. They chose not to start planning for when it got here. They didn't ramp up production of ppe's, ventlators, didnt start developing tests or testing protocols, no plans on how to stop the spread. Trump thought the uncomprehensive China travel restrictions were going to keep it away. They were more concerned about how a bad stock market would look for reelection then protecting the health of our citizens. The feds didn't get the ball rolling the states did. You can't claim the moral high ground when you also choose to hide and misrepresent what is going on.

Good 10 minutes on why the left is using their hindsight to once again try to blame Trump for something. Brett Baier and Jesse Waters, and Dana nail it.

Last edited:
The US Federal government is responsible for the United States. China is not. Its that simple. Sure I think what China did is dispicable but thats what happens with authoritarian rule . There is nothing I can do to hold them accountable. So it would be a waste of time and energy to dwell on somthing I cannot change. Fortunately I live in America and can do something about my governments response. The US Federal government and its leader were warned time and time again that this is going to be very bad and they failed to act. They had at minimum a month and a half to get the mechanisms in gear. They chose not to start planning for when it got here. They didn't ramp up production of ppe's, ventlators, didnt start developing tests or testing protocols, no plans on how to stop the spread. Trump thought the uncomprehensive China travel restrictions were going to keep it away. They were more concerned about how a bad stock market would look for reelection then protecting the health of our citizens. The feds didn't get the ball rolling the states did. You can't claim the moral high ground when you also choose to hide and misrepresent what is going on.
What country was prepared for this that has all the testing hospital help and equipment?

What country was prepared for this that has all the testing hospital help and equipment?
My family and I don't live in another country. We live hear so that is my first concern. What country that has the intelligence capabilities we have sat on their hands for months and did no preparing whatsoever? How is it that many other countries were doing large scale testing and tracing well before we were?

This is what our president was saying when it mattered

This what he was doing when it mattered
https://images.app.goo.gl/VJFxe5BE7hYNmVnJ7

My family and I don't live in another country. We live hear so that is my first concern. What country that has the intelligence capabilities we have sat on their hands for months and did no preparing whatsoever? How is it that many other countries were doing large scale testing and tracing well before we were?

This is what our president was saying when it mattered

This what he was doing when it mattered
https://images.app.goo.gl/VJFxe5BE7hYNmVnJ7
Watch the video I posted and listen to Jesse and Dana. They are spot on.

The media does not lead this country. They weren't elected to keep americans safe.
Those two aren't pretending to lead - they offered commentary on what the reaction from the public would've been had Trump shut everything down prior to the first death in this country. Look - just admit that you hate Trump and have been looking for something to blast him for to weaken his candidacy. You, the left, and the leftest media think you've found it. Its kind of hard for you to make your case when just about every dem politician took the virus less serious than Trump.

when you also choose to hide and misrepresent what is going on.

The closest comparison to our way of life in United States is the European Union. It is far from an exact comparison, but certainly the closest you can find in terms of population and way of life.

The current mortality rate from Covid 19 from European union is around 3 times what it is in US.

Those two aren't pretending to lead - they offered commentary on what the reaction from the public would've been had Trump shut everything down prior to the first death in this country. Look - just admit that you hate Trump and have been looking for something to blast him for to weaken his candidacy. You, the left, and the leftest media think you've found it. Its kind of hard for you to make your case when just about every dem politician took the virus less serious than Trump.
They’re conveying an opinion thats it. I dont agree with them or you. All I know is what I've seen Trump do and heard Trump say. That dictates how I feel about the subject. Not what I consider propaganda tv talking heads. I dont look for other politicians for leadership I look to who's in charge, the president, its his job. I have NO problem admitting I don't like Trump. He is not an honest person. So I cannot give him the benifit of the doubt anymore. Fool me once.

Last edited:
Reactions: BuilderBob6
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT