ADVERTISEMENT

BTN Picks Purdue 3rd... And more.

Reactions: punaj
Ranked behind their arch rival in the standings and no Boiler on the All-B1G team. The only way this Purdue team wouldn't win 30 games is if they started to kiss their own ass. Thank you BTN.

I don't understand how anyone that watched hoops last year could have IU ahead of us. They play 0 defense, lost a few players and Purdue added a McAA and swept them twice. Oh well, we will get to prove it on the court.

I don't understand how anyone that watched hoops last year could have IU ahead of us. They play 0 defense, lost a few players and Purdue added a McAA and swept them twice. Oh well, we will get to prove it on the court.

When they're putting together preseason rankings, they look at each team's individual pieces then add them all up. The most points are generally awarded to the player's with the most athletic ability. Indiana has more players than Purdue that look like NBA guys. Of course, that's only looking at the players from the front and not all sides. There are few, if any, players in the country I would trade for Raph, none are on Indiana.

The important thing is being near the top. Ranked one or two spot above or below someone is just splitting hairs. Maryland added more talent than Purdue did, but they also lost Dez Wells, who I thought was easily their most dominant player. Octeus was somewhere between Purdue's 4th-6th best player. So they gain less but also lose less than the Turtles. Preseason predictions are not an exact science. Purdue was predicted outside the Top 10 in B1G last year and finished 3rd.

For the life of me I can't understand how iu is picked 2nd in the league. They lost several transfers (Hoetzel, Robinson April, Ritchie), and kicked 2 of their top 8 players off the team not to mention Davis. That's 7 players and add only a couple 3 stars and a 4 star (yes four star was his average rank). Last year they finished 7th in the league. It's beyond me why people are high on this team. But on the bright side, this always happens and it just makes their failure to meet expectations that much sweeter.

For the life of me I can't understand how iu is picked 2nd in the league. They lost several transfers (Hoetzel, Robinson April, Ritchie), and kicked 2 of their top 8 players off the team not to mention Davis. That's 7 players and add only a couple 3 stars and a 4 star (yes four star was his average rank). Last year they finished 7th in the league. It's beyond me why people are high on this team. But on the bright side, this always happens and it just makes their failure to meet expectations that much sweeter.
It seems like every time there is bad news about that program they go up in the rankings?! One of the most overrated iu teams I can ever remember. They are totally dysfunctional.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
It's because of the astute and brilliant coaching of Two Tone Tommy McClapperson.

Did you forget you lost your starting PG, likely best backcourt player from an already questionable backcourt?

Think its when you consider that non of the players we lost were impact players, the best guy we lost averaged 6/4, added a quality missing piece in Bryant, a backup center with experience in Bielfeldt, and considering our schedule is likely the easiest in the B1G, i can see why, doesn't make them right but i can surely see why. 2-5 were very close in points in the poll, it will be a very tight race during conference play.

DA Bull: I can see why, doesn't make them right but i can surely see why. 2-5 were very close in points in the poll, it will be a very tight race during conference play.[/QUOTE]

Then surely, you can also see why we question it.
1. This is the Purdue board.
2. It's our hated rival and so it's our job to bad-mouth them, surely.
3. Your coach.

Da Bull hit it right on the head with the schedule. This unbalanced schedule is a big deal. Just put our B1G schedule beside theirs and it is obvious who has the easier road in the conference. It isn't even close. I hate the unbalanced schedule but it can't be ignored when making predictions for the coming season.

Reactions: mathboy
Think its when you consider that non of the players we lost were impact players, the best guy we lost averaged 6/4, added a quality missing piece in Bryant, a backup center with experience in Bielfeldt, and considering our schedule is likely the easiest in the B1G, i can see why, doesn't make them right but i can surely see why. 2-5 were very close in points in the poll, it will be a very tight race during conference play.

To clarify, you downplay losing a guy who averaged 6.5/4.3 and talk up a guy who transferred in after averaging 5.1/3.6. And the guy who left is more experienced minute wise than the guy coming in.

I agree on the schedule. You are fortunate on that front.

To clarify, you downplay losing a guy who averaged 6.5/4.3 and talk up a guy who transferred in after averaging 5.1/3.6. And the guy who left is more experienced minute wise than the guy coming in.

You're reasoning using facts with an IU'er? What were you thinking? We need to talk:)

DA Bull: I can see why, doesn't make them right but i can surely see why. 2-5 were very close in points in the poll, it will be a very tight race during conference play.

3. Your coach.[/QUOTE]

Sure ifbyou dont want to be objective to the situation. But they asked how it could be possible, i outlined a few reasons why. If you choose to ignore or disagree thats your prerogative, but they're very valid reasons why, especially the schedules. I think Iu, PU, MSU are pretty equal overall, next way to sort is by schedule. I think Wisc, UM, and OSU are a step behind those 3.

But one guy started and one will be a backup. I like Bielfeldt more simply because Hanner as athletic as he was got lost on defense quite a bit and made poor decisions. We have enough athletic guys on the floor we need more heady players like Bielfeldt, Hartman is about all we had in that department though i think Johnson can be one of those guys, he made a ton of mistakes as a freshmen.

3. Your coach.

Sure ifbyou dont want to be objective to the situation. But they asked how it could be possible, i outlined a few reasons why. If you choose to ignore or disagree thats your prerogative, but they're very valid reasons why, especially the schedules. I think Iu, PU, MSU are pretty equal overall, next way to sort is by schedule. I think Wisc, UM, and OSU are a step behind those 3.[/QUOTE]

Did you call me an ifbyou? I don't know what it means but it must be bad:) Mods!!!

Why don't they have a category for Most Overrated Coach? Could be a very interesting vote.

But one guy started and one will be a backup. I like Bielfeldt more simply because Hanner as athletic as he was got lost on defense quite a bit and made poor decisions. We have enough athletic guys on the floor we need more heady players like Bielfeldt, Hartman is about all we had in that department though i think Johnson can be one of those guys, he made a ton of mistakes as a freshmen.
Can't wait to see him come in and guard AJ or Haas when Bryant fouls out

Sure ifbyou dont want to be objective to the situation. But they asked how it could be possible, i outlined a few reasons why. If you choose to ignore or disagree thats your prerogative, but they're very valid reasons why, especially the schedules. I think Iu, PU, MSU are pretty equal overall, next way to sort is by schedule. I think Wisc, UM, and OSU are a step behind those 3.

Did you call me an ifbyou? I don't know what it means but it must be bad:) Mods!!![/QUOTE]

They need an Iphone 6++ for my sausage fingers.

Reactions: GemstateBoiler

You could be right. The UM guy might improve the team chemistry more on the court than many realize. He is a smart player, but I recall him not being a great passer, nor did he move without the ball very much. Who knows if that was what he was asked to do, or that was his style of play. I do recall him being a serviceable player with the ball, and that might be all IU needs.

I do think IU will place a lot of pressure on Bryant to be very good, very quickly. Sometimes it can take a freshman about half a season to understand the game, and his role in the game play. Because of that, I think IU might struggle early and be better later in the season. I know that is the opposite pattern of what we have seen in past years.

I agree with you on IU's easy schedule playing a part in the BIG race. It is going to be a hell-of-a-season coming up.

:cool:

You could be right. The UM guy might improve the team chemistry more on the court than many realize. He is a smart player, but I recall him not being a great passer, nor did he move without the ball very much. Who knows if that was what he was asked to do, or that was his style of play. I do recall him being a serviceable player with the ball, and that might be all IU needs.

I do think IU will place a lot of pressure on Bryant to be very good, very quickly. Sometimes it can take a freshman about half a season to understand the game, and his role in the game play. Because of that, I think IU might struggle early and be better later in the season. I know that is the opposite pattern of what we have seen in past years.

I agree with you on IU's easy schedule playing a part in the BIG race. It is going to be a hell-of-a-season coming up.

I think he'll be forced to rebound and get put backs. Crean as most know doesn't play a lot through his center. It will be interesting. Zeller had shooters around him but other than Dipo not a lot of athleticism, Vonleh didn't really have either around him, Bryant will have both. Not really sure what to expect except for the fact that he should be better than what we had last year, but he's got more talent around him than Zeller and Vonleh had.

I think he'll be forced to rebound and get put backs. Crean as most know doesn't play a lot through his center. It will be interesting. Zeller had shooters around him but other than Dipo not a lot of athleticism, Vonleh didn't really have either around him, Bryant will have both. Not really sure what to expect except for the fact that he should be better than what we had last year, but he's got more talent around him than Zeller and Vonleh had.
And he's really, clap, clap, hitch pants, twitch, gonna get some good bench, clap, clap, sip drink, clap, guidance.

That is BTN, the B1G coaches voted AJH 1st team. They also picked Purdue 3rd. As to IU, they have 2 really good offensive guards while we have a ? at PG. We do have greater depth and size but you can only play 5 guys at a time.

They can be picked there all they want, they won't finish in the top 3 so preseason rankings mean little.

Did you forget you lost your starting PG, likely best backcourt player from an already questionable backcourt?

Isn't Bielfelt like 6'8, 235? If he's going to be Bryants back up at the 5, he's going to get eaten alive, especially by players like Hammons and Haas. He'll be a little annoying pest who will have 3 fouls on one possession trying to act like he can be physical with them.

Let's look at how important Dez Wells was to the Terrapins by looking at his per 40 minutes stats compared to the rest of the team. In parentheses, I'll put where Octeus ranked on Purdue in each category per 40 minutes.

Points. - 1st (8th)
Assists - 1st (3rd)
Steals - 3rd (4th)
FT attempts - 2nd (4th)
FT % - 2nd (5th)
3-point % - 1st (2nd)

As you can see, Dez was the most important piece for Maryland in terms of production & efficiency, and definitely more important than Octeus was for Purdue. Ya, Maryland added a lot of talent in the offseason. But it's hard to improve when you lose your best player. Purdue didn't lose really anything and they also gained a lot of talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Da_Bull
Isn't Bielfelt like 6'8, 235? If he's going to be Bryants back up at the 5, he's going to get eaten alive, especially by players like Hammons and Haas. He'll be a little annoying pest who will have 3 fouls on one possession trying to act like he can be physical with them.

Yes against you guys Beilfeldt will struggle, but not every team in the B1G has 2 quality 7 footers, not many in the country if any have 2 centers like that. But i think against a lot of the backup 5s in the B1G he'll do fine playing 10-15 minutes a game. We had 6'6 Hartman playing a lot of minutes at the 5 during B1G play last year. Looking back at some stats, sad part is Perea lead the team in rebounding in a total of 2 games last year, Mississippi Valley State and Nebraska. Thats pathetic.

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwvlzmu1zgezzjaxnzuyztvmode3nddlzjzkmdu3y2nm-e1423105811991.jpeg

This beastly man who toyed with Purdue for 25 minutes to the tune of 13 pts, 7 rebs, 4 assists, and 2 steals on 50% shooting from the field and 88% from the line is no longer at Maryland. Good luck going into Mackey for a repeat performance without this guy.

Ranked behind their arch rival in the standings and no Boiler on the All-B1G team. The only way this Purdue team wouldn't win 30 games is if they started to kiss their own ass. Thank you BTN.

Da Bull hit it right on the head with the schedule. This unbalanced schedule is a big deal. Just put our B1G schedule beside theirs and it is obvious who has the easier road in the conference. It isn't even close. I hate the unbalanced schedule but it can't be ignored when making predictions for the coming season.

Thank you

I was right

Kinda nailed it

Nailed it

Thanks

He held his own.

Yes against you guys Beilfeldt will struggle, but not every team in the B1G has 2 quality 7 footers, not many in the country if any have 2 centers like that. But i think against a lot of the backup 5s in the B1G he'll do fine playing 10-15 minutes a game. We had 6'6 Hartman playing a lot of minutes at the 5 during B1G play last year. Looking back at some stats, sad part is Perea lead the team in rebounding in a total of 2 games last year, Mississippi Valley State and Nebraska. Thats pathetic.

Again nailed it. Looking back Perea was awful in the post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT