ADVERTISEMENT

Bruno's

Down in the Levee. Pretty much the furthest northeast corner of the Levee, east side of what I remember being a strip mall building. Stood for Let’s Munch Out.
you're right I forgot about that place but had many subs there, didn't they used to advertise making 3 and 6 ft subs?

Reactions: DrEss
Even sanctimonious hypocrites like zz are entitled to their opinions -- self-conflicted as they are, attempting to dictate what others should think about what others might think -- but I prefer to cite and patronize the actual work by Orlando Itin and Brad Cohen, who both devotedly and lovingly followed their founding fathers, Bruno and Arni, in continually offering their families’ beloved cuisines while adding their own personal touches in serving countless thousands of dedicated patrons from Purdue and Greater Lafayette for more than 69 years and 59 years, respectively.

An owner need not be an active community institution, but both father-son sets have been.

From seeing Jim Everett in GQ fashion navigating lobby patrons to seeing Todd Blackledge filming his “Taste of the Town” review on Bruno’s Dough, from seeing Robbie Hummel dining with his parents before dashing to cover a game to seeing Matt Painter hosting a recruit’s whiny parents, from routinely seeing Purdue quarterbacks treating their linemen to pizza to always marveling at the hundreds of Boilermaker photos, posters and gear personalized for Orlando, all while dining regularly over the years with loved ones, family and friends, I will miss Bruno’s personally.

“Adieu.” Or “Ade.” Or “Uf Widerluege.” (I might’ve said “Auf Wiedersehen,” but they dropped wienerschnitzel from the menu long ago.) And, hardest of all, “Arrivederci, meat ravioli.”

As for the Purdue memorabilia, according to WLFI-TV, a sale is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, February 17.
Hi pot!

79-80 there was a sandwich shop that delivered to the dorms. They had great sandwiches, including a 5 or 6' long sub (not subway) that we'd get sometimes. They used a really good oil/vinegar/herbs dressing on them. Dang if I can remember their name. Not a big known chain now. Anyone?? Bueller????

Pizza keg good. Pizza king on the bypass was good and a local favorite. Arnies had a great following. I liked Griners. Garcia’s was good. I went to Pizza Hut a lot to collect their looney tune glasses. I still have about 8 of them almost 50 years later. Noble Romans had a great reputation . It’s hard to believe there were so many local pizza places that little Caesar’s and dominoes were not even thought of when you wanted a pizza. And instead of having pizza delivered, you went to the restaurant just to get away.

The place had an Italian name that I thought started with a G. But it was not Griners. Pizza keg was on the top of the hill by Von’s. This place was down in the lower part of the levee by Sears . It was not Pizza Hut. It was by the steak house.
Garcia’s pizza ?

Reactions: jtanoos1
What about Alfano’s stuffed breadsticks? Man, those were good. Rumor had it that guy was behind on his rent and just packed up and moved to somewhere in Illinois in the middle of the night one night.
Pete was paying his employees in cash. IRS or IDR caught on. He closed Alfano’s and Pepper Pete’s overnight and left the country. I heard he went to Italy.

Reactions: pboiler18
Garcia’s pizza ?
It was Noble Romans. They had great pizza, but it was a little more expensive than the Keg and other pizza places.

In moving almost every 3 years to different parts of our country, I have found very few places in our country are able to adequately make that deep dish Chicago style pizza I grew to love while at Purdue.

Pete was paying his employees in cash. IRS or IDR caught on. He closed Alfano’s and Pepper Pete’s overnight and left the country. I heard he went to Italy.
Oh man. That’s believable. I think we heard the skipped rent story from the guy at the record store that was down there by Alfano’s (J&L Records maybe?) I liked Pepper Pete’s too. They had a great combo deal with a small pizza, cheese sticks or wings and a drink.

Was AJ Wingers related to the current AJ’s on Vine?

For discussion purposes only, my wife did her doctorate at IU. I will say nothing about their school. But I liked Mother Bears pizza and Paulieyes(sp) on the square. Paulieyes has since moved and closed. My favorite pizza is still two local places in Chicago. One was Genos by water tower plaza. And one was near McCormick place .

Did Griners become Garcias? Griners was in that little mall on Nov hill next to Vons. I can remember that was next to Vons that was separate and then Von’s paperbacks used to be a hamburger place.

Last edited:
Pizza keg good. Pizza king on the bypass was good and a local favorite. Arnies had a great following. I liked Griners. Garcia’s was good. I went to Pizza Hut a lot to collect their looney tune glasses. I still have about 8 of them almost 50 years later. Noble Romans had a great reputation . It’s hard to believe there were so many local pizza places that little Caesar’s and dominoes were not even thought of when you wanted a pizza. And instead of having pizza delivered, you went to the restaurant just to get away.
Griners subs, that's IT!!!
edit: Greiners Subs

Last edited:
Did Griners become Garcias? Griners was in that little mall on Nov hill next to Vons. I can remember that one Vons that was separate and then Von’s paperbacks used to be a hamburger place.
Greiners is the oldest sub shop in Indy and still there. The one in Lafayette closed. They had great sandwiches. I'm going to have to find them in Indy now. :)

Oh man. That’s believable. I think we heard the skipped rent story from the guy at the record store that was down there by Alfano’s (J&L Records maybe?) I liked Pepper Pete’s too.
JR Records? Was down in the Levee and I think is still there. Bought Springsteen bootlegs there back in the day.

Greiners is the oldest sub shop in Indy and still there. The one in Lafayette closed. They had great sandwiches. I'm going to have to find them in Indy now. :)

2126 Shelby St, Indianapolis, IN 46203 - reminds me of a place I visited frequently in Murray, Kentucky - ages ago.

AF1QipMCEVjBITmgQbDninvtL_AkB10KGcdjHffPhjmJ=s1360-w1360-h1020

AF1QipO_DMvk-dJgx3DXcXtvnjj2LFDWx-_SjTKoTsoJ=s1360-w1360-h1020

AF1QipNiyMqxRUM-FTsBV57UGbvslLGFHDjKHO4wiXkV=s1360-w1360-h1020

• Love
Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
Wish I remembered more of these places. I remember liking Noble Roman's. And there was a Greek diner that we liked (Apollo maybe?) Other than that just vague memory of names.

Wish I remembered more of these places. I remember liking Noble Roman's. And there was a Greek diner that we liked (Apollo maybe?) Other than that just vague memory of names.

Apollo or Athena maybe.....it was pretty good....on the hill somewhere or up from the Levee, IIRC.

Oh man. That’s believable. I think we heard the skipped rent story from the guy at the record store that was down there by Alfano’s (J&L Records maybe?) I liked Pepper Pete’s too. They had a great combo deal with a small pizza, cheese sticks or wings and a drink.

Was AJ Wingers related to the current AJ’s on Vine?
He seemed like a nice guy, if not a great businessman.

This JC article talks about some of these Purdue institutions:

I liked Veno's pizza on the west end of campus. Close to my dorm and a lot of football players frequented it.
Was that in Purdue West?

Is there a plan to do something with that by the way ? Pretty sad looking nowadays.

Was that in Purdue West?

Is there a plan to do something with that by the way ? Pretty sad looking nowadays.
Yes, I was just about to post the same. I liked their food. Drink specials were pretty decent from what I remember.

Pizza Keg’s lunch special, a clone of Noble Roman’s Sicilian Deep Dish, kept folks alive, backed by Happy Hour pitchers of liquid gold, helping digest back-to-back lectures. Right, Wheels?

OXO at Pete’s Pinball Palace would be followed by a late-night hot ham ’n cheese carryout from that decommissioned shack, the Time Out, just the warmup for an all-night term paper.

Once upon a time on State Street, students could enjoy 24-hour dining service at the Triple XXX, especially after rolling downhill from Harry’s.

Everyone watching a fully loaded bootleg buddy, waving his lighter to fire up a concert crowd after climbing atop the roof of Slayter Center, made even the lead guitarist try to see what’s up.

A hungry growing gang would wait in Noble Roman’s dining area for a delivery buddy to accidentally drop another boxed pizza. Oops. Free. Except the 27 drinks.

The Stabilizer reserved tables and supplied free ice-cold pitchers for the one and only bar-sponsored intramural team on campus. The real national pastime.

Two coed carloads from Townhouse saved for weeks just to do one seafood night at Morris Bryant, usually the grand goal for parental visits, if not Sarge Biltz.

Ages before the rise of any 16-story apartments, Ten West provided exclusive night views from plush lounges, overlooking the city lights over cocktails.

Nickel / Quarter Beer Night at the Knickerbocker led many a good Boilermaker, from father to son, to later question the vision of a train in the middle of the street.

Triple-Bubble Hour at HoJo’s -- Howard Johnson’s by the interstate -- led to front tables to watch Gemini -- Silver Twins Candi and Randi, future co-stars of “B.J. and The Bear.”

Ah ... the wonders of higher education.

Green bottle night at Mr. Bill’s on South River Road…

Refusing to let Kool Ray leave the stage at 2am at the Stabilizer…

Meister Brau for seven bucks a case…

Hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with the target-rich female environment on Thursday Nights at Nick’s…

How the hell did I graduate in four years???

An Arni's chopped salad is still my favorite salad of all time. I havent lived in WL in over 20 years. Phoenix/Scottsdale area obviously has allot of great food, but I love that salad at Arni's,.

Did they have their auction of memorabilia? Or did they place that on hold? Will the same family still own the restaurant?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT