ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm worth the money?

purduepat1969

All-American
Sep 28, 2011
I've been a proponent of Brohm for the past three seasons. But his coaching has been bizarre and questionable this year.

1) The way he's handling injury reports and Rondale's situation.
2) His ultra-conservative play calling on offense this year. This offense has been ineffective to say the least. In 3 games the offense has averaged 22.7 points per game. And the first 2 games were against questionable defenses.
3) His insistence on sticking with O'Connell today when it was pretty clear he wasn't effective in the first half. I can only assume Plummer has done something unforgivable or is just that bad in practice.
4) Giving nearly every handoff to Horvath. I'm not beating on Horvath. He's been an asset, but you can't continue to give 100% of the reps to one RB.

I'm not ready to give up on Brohm. But this is year 4. I assumed our offense would be much better based on the talent we recruited. Last year we said it was injury and the inexperience at OL. What is it now?

I believe we have been #1 in passing the past 2 years which is Brohm's forte. The problem is we have become just that.....a pass happy team. Reminds me of Leach and what has he done or become. We need balance in order to take another step forward. Every good team has balance and that's why we are just avg.

I still think Brohm is the man for the job and worth the struggles. I feel like he has regressed as a coach a bit since he started trying to reign in his anger and outbursts on the sideline. Sounds strange but some guys just are the type to be in the zone and rip people’s heads off and expect perfection (yanking Blough or Sindelar multiple times after an interception). I think he needs to revert back to a little more fire and aggression and the players would probably reflect some of that on the field. And I think he’s trying to stick with a single quarterback for the first time which is good but I think this year it’s almost to a fault to stick with one guy

Reactions: purduepat1969
I believe we have been #1 in passing the past 2 years which is Brohm's forte. The problem is we have become just that.....a pass happy team. Reminds me of Leach and what has he done or become. We need balance in order to take another step forward. Every good team has balance and that's why we are just avg.
If we became Leach we would have taken a big step forward.

Unfortunately we pass for a lot of yards and few points scored, which is all that matters. We are one dimensional.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I've been a proponent of Brohm for the past three seasons. But his coaching has been bizarre and questionable this year.

2) His ultra-conservative play calling on offense this year. This offense has been ineffective to say the least. In 3 games the offense has averaged 22.7 points per game. And the first 2 games were against questionable defenses.
3) His insistence on sticking with O'Connell today when it was pretty clear he wasn't effective in the first half. I can only assume Plummer has done something unforgivable or is just that bad in practice.
4) Giving nearly every handoff to Horvath. I'm not beating on Horvath. He's been an asset, but you can't continue to give 100% of the reps to one RB.

I'm not ready to give up on Brohm. But this is year 4. I assumed our offense would be much better based on the talent we recruited. Last year we said it was injury and the inexperience at OL. What is it now?
I agree with point 2. There is little creativity or willingness to risk/reward. NW took 2 or more downfield shots before we decided to take 1 in the first half. I was watching that. Didn’t focus on it as much the second half.
The other puzzling point is we get it to red zone then seemingly forget to take an end zone shot or two. Would actually love to hear how the coaches would grade themselves this game.

Unfortunately we pass for a lot of yards and few points scored, which is all that matters. We are one dimensional.
We have like 15 wide receivers on the roster. Being one dimensional is okay as long as they score. They are not scoring enough points against the opponents played to date. I expected the offense to be much better thus far without much of a running game.

Pat, you know my feelings about the guy. Horrible game prep for Northwestern.

A mobile QB would really open things up.

I have absolutely no idea why Wright was out a large portion of the game. I like how Sparks has gutted things out and stayed, much respect. However, there is no way you can tell me he should be playing a down over Wright.

I also can't understand how we can't get Sheffield more involved in the slot. Its like those plays are only reserved for Moore.

I’ll point out the obvious: playing most of the season in bad weather doesn’t help us.

A mobile QB would really open things up.

I have absolutely no idea why Wright was out a large portion of the game. I like how Sparks has gutted things out and stayed, much respect. However, there is no way you can tell me he should be playing a down over Wright.

I also can't understand how we can't get Sheffield more involved in the slot. Its like those plays are only reserved for Moore.
The player substitution and playing time on offense is bizzarre. All of a sudden Anthrop comes in at the slot and he's a major target of O'Connell? But we don't target Sheffield? And how Sparks even gets into the game, I have no idea. He's dropped more passes than he's caught.

It's almost like Brohm feels he owes playing time to these guys for some reason. I'm at a loss for the logic around the decisions.

With the success moore enjoyed as a freshman, I kind of expected more from Carr, Sullivan and Yaseen this year as freshmen and as recruiting rankings go I kind of expected a lot more from Rice, Bilodeaux, and Anderson. But , you can only play just so many 4 star receivers.

It's our first loss. although it was to a team we've out recruited the past 3 years. We're definitely not getting the expected returns of our higher rated recruits. I honestly thought based on their rankings, we'd see more contributions from certain players. Hartwig has looked awesome. Why haven't our other recent 4 star recruits? Many of our three star recruits are out performing our much more heralded 4 star recruits. look at QB and RB.

Reactions: NVboiler
The Brohm era has not gone well. I think he is in over his head. I don't really want him fired but he is not worth the $$$$$$$$$.
I would have to say let him go and look for a coach with a more balanced offense.
Purdue deserves better.

Not tonight .. brohm appears to have hang ups about not playing the most talented players .. and rewarding constant mediocrity from players he likes

Amad Anderson and Jared sparks couldn’t be more self checked .. if brohm is about performance they move to the back of the line.

Dedrick Mackey played terribly tonight and got used. Why can’t Howard and trice be the starters. Mackey isn’t fast

Having only one running back at this point is unacceptable. Even if King wasnt injured, two is still not enough. NW seemed to be in second and long the whole game, only to end up 3rd and 1, 2 or 3; then subsequently, pick up the first down. Purdue would run on first down...get nothing, or less...and drives would become one dimensional and fizzle out. Need more serviceable rrb's, that bring a mix of skills to the game.

Not tonight .. brohm appears to have hang ups about not playing the most talented players .. and rewarding constant mediocrity from players he likes

Amad Anderson and Jared sparks couldn’t be more self checked .. if brohm is about performance they move to the back of the line.

Dedrick Mackey played terribly tonight and got used. Why can’t Howard and trice be the starters. Mackey isn’t fast
Trice played incredibly well in tight coverage. Mackey did not.

Having only one running back at this point is unacceptable. Even if King wasnt injured, two is still not enough. NW seemed to be in second and long the whole game, only to end up 3rd and 1, 2 or 3; then subsequently, pick up the first down. Purdue would run on first down...get nothing, or less...and drives would become one dimensional and fizzle out. Need more serviceable rrb's, that bring a mix of skills to the game.

getting Doerue back is nice although I’m guessing he must not be 100%. Murphy has been suspended and Hewitt must need a lot of work. It appears two more are being added next season, although they need a home run threat in the backfield.

Not close..At that kind of cash.
You have to win 9 -10 games in a normal year..
Brohm has to consistently get you into the Big Championship for his contract..
As a Hoosier. I'll say this also..Archie Miller needs to win bigger too..

Having George out there would helped
Not close..At that kind of cash.
You have to win 9 -10 games in a normal year..
Brohm has to consistently get you into the Big Championship for his contract..
As a Hoosier. I'll say this also..Archie Miller needs to win bigger too..
So being the 8th highest paid Coach gets you consistently in the B1G championship? I get you hate Brohm, but 8 teams don't make the B1G championship. Just leave the contract alone he is merely 8th highest paid Coach in the B1G. Nebraska is getting the worst bang for their buck with Wisconsin getting the highest return.

Reactions: Beorik
I think Purdue paid him ahead of schedule. I also think 10 years from now we will look back and consider it worth it.

Reactions: Poprudy
I think Purdue paid him ahead of schedule. I also think 10 years from now we will look back and consider it worth it.
I hope you're correct. But his decision making and play calling has been bizarre to say the least. He's not putting his team in the best position to win. And I've been less than impressed with his player development. Plummer was the guy last year and now he's not. Not even getting any playing time to prove otherwise. And our best defensive player is a JUCO that just showed up with Diaco. I'm not saying Karlaftis isn't great, because he is. But I've seen more improvement with D personnel from Diaco in this short period than I've seen from any offensive players not named David Bell.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I hope you're correct. But his decision making and play calling has been bizarre to say the least. He's not putting his team in the best position to win. And I've been less than impressed with his player development. Plummer was the guy last year and now he's not. Not even getting any playing time to prove otherwise. And our best defensive player is a JUCO that just showed up with Diaco. I'm not saying Karlaftis isn't great, because he is. But I've seen more improvement with D personnel from Diaco in this short period than I've seen from any offensive players not named David Bell.

Umm... Karlaftis is clearly our best defensive player.

Reactions: Riveting
Is it a chicken or egg situation? Do we only hire mediocre coaches or is West Lafayette perfectly situated to turn good coaches into turds. Either way we end up with way too many turds. I started school at Purdue in 1983, all coaches except Tiller have been turds. We’re closing in on 40 years of Mr Hankey.

Yea I hope I am right too 🤞.
I know you are struggling to see growth and believe me I understand that we struggled a ton last year and the offense has not gotten back to looking as explosive as it did with Blough and Moore. But here is the development I see.

O’Connell - I know many don’t like him as a player but to take a walk on and have him leading the Big in passing so far is developing a kid. Some would argue that is insane development.

Horvath - Again a former walk on to our first 3 straight 100 yard games since Alstott is development.

Wright - seemed to have a lot of trouble catching the ball consistently. Now looks like a potential top Big WR in a couple years.

O-line - yesterday was not a good day for them but clearly they are much improved from a year ago.

Durham - hard to say. We have had two really great TEs leave the lst couple years but he looks like he could be good. He is in his second year right? Maybe I am wrong.

D-Line has had its ups and downs this year but they played well yeaterday Without our beat player and if Neal gets back to form that may be a real strength of the team.

Linebackers - look better than I expected. The juco is playing great bus Barnes looked like superman at times yesterday. And again we have lost a couple great linebackers since Brohm has been here so he seems to be getting then ready.

Seconday - still looks iffy to me. But we give a lot of cushion and that could be scheme. Some of the young guys look to have some real talent though and I feel the future is bright.

Again I really do understand the frustration but I personally think we are coming along.

Umm... Karlaftis is clearly our best defensive player.
Mitchell has 24 total tackles and 5 tackles for loss. He leads the team in tackles for loss. He's played like the best defensive player on the team. Karlaftis may have more rushing impact, but Mitchell is playing extremely well.

Mitchell has 24 total tackles and 5 tackles for loss. He leads the team in tackles for loss. He's played like the best defensive player on the team. Karlaftis may have more rushing impact, but Mitchell is playing extremely well.
Agree he is playing incredibly well. Looks amazing really.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT