laguna1

All-American
Nov 1, 2001
Per this.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

EHhgZAfXkAAm_Q3

EHiOTZzUwAAmvdv

Last edited:
This is skewed by the signing bonus. The average number is about $5.25/yr over 7 years. That puts him in Pat Fitzgerald/Scott Frost territory. Definitely worth it if he can put this program on the map. Of course I'm not paying for 99.999% of it anyway, so..

My only concern is if you're going to pay a top 15 salary for the head coach you can't go budget on the assistant pool. For example, if the DC is not cutting it, Brohm needs to be able to replace him with a top 25 coordinator.

With great salary comes great expectations.
Yeah I think we have great expectations for him... maybe not to have us winning ten 10 games this year or next. But through the course of his time here obviously the administration (and myself and many posters) believe that money will pay off. Some people want instant gratification but I’d rather have a build up to sustained success than a flash in the pan great season and then no thought for the future or security in a coaching staff

Reactions: Purdue85
This is skewed by the signing bonus. The average number is about $5.25/yr over 7 years. That puts him in Pat Fitzgerald/Scott Frost territory. Definitely worth it if he can put this program on the map. Of course I'm not paying for 99.999% of it anyway, so..

My only concern is if you're going to pay a top 15 salary for the head coach you can't go budget on the assistant pool. For example, if the DC is not cutting it, Brohm needs to be able to replace him with a top 25 coordinator.

The OL has had some issues. To replace him with a top tier OL coach would probably cost an extra 200k. Worth it IMO, but it has to come from somewhere.

The problem is, it’s hard to tell if it’s the OLC’s fault or a lack of talent. The OL started off with 3 first time starters. Even after some movement, it still has 3 first year players. And the Upperclassmen have struggled, but that could be due to playing next to a bunch of first year players. There aren’t a lot of OLines in the country that would have success with 3 first year players, especially if those players were RS freshmen/sophomores.

Should Williams get a pass this year like Brohm gets? Or does Brohm see something concerning with a lack of development? My guess is the OL plays better to finish out the year. But I still think Brohm has a decision to make, and if he does, he will need more money to do it in my opinion. And yes the OLC is worth putting the money into, especially with the type of offense Brohm likes to run.

The OL has had some issues. To replace him with a top tier OL coach would probably cost an extra 200k. Worth it IMO, but it has to come from somewhere.

The problem is, it’s hard to tell if it’s the OLC’s fault or a lack of talent. The OL started off with 3 first time starters. Even after some movement, it still has 3 first year players. And the Upperclassmen have struggled, but that could be due to playing next to a bunch of first year players. There aren’t a lot of OLines in the country that would have success with 3 first year players, especially if those players were RS freshmen/sophomores.

Should Williams get a pass this year like Brohm gets? Or does Brohm see something concerning with a lack of development? My guess is the OL plays better to finish out the year. But I still think Brohm has a decision to make, and if he does, he will need more money to do it in my opinion. And yes the OLC is worth putting the money into, especially with the type of offense Brohm likes to run.

There is unused money in the assistant pool to upgrade if necessary.

I think there was a bit there, then Brohm saved even more when he hired Wallace to replace Tommerdahl

I think Brohm will chalk this up as a developmental year. Unless he sees fundamental problems with the coaching. I heard Williams say something to the effect of "We could just cut block on every play, but we're trying to learn to do things the right way." That is a good sign. They put together 6 wins with duct tape and spackle for two years. Now I think they are trying to establish a base for something greater.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT