ADVERTISEMENT

Bright Future

We gained the lead with Carsen on the bench. I think he guys playing around and behind him are very good players. If we have to play next year without Carsen and Cline, we will be just fine.

OSU and the rest of the BIG should be glad we are in a rebuilding year and we haven't just reloaded. Humm?

Reactions: Boilerrush
Between this year and next we need him to take a huge step. Otherwise He's just a role player for 4 years. Even though he thinks he's an NBA player.

Reactions: Emartin70287
Between this year and next we need him to take a huge step. Otherwise He's just a role player for 4 years. Even though he thinks he's an NBA player.
We need all of our players to take a huge step. That's what coaching is for.

Do you think Nojel never hit an outside shot in HS or AAU? Maybe, just maybe he might find the shot the same way he found his FT.

All I know is I've only watched him once outside of a game situation (S16 in Boston last year) and he hit at least 5 threes in a row.

OK, you are either an IU fan or, more likely, an OSU fan. Let's have full disclosure if you are going to focus your posts on criticising a Purdue player after a big win.

Reactions: Schnelk
Just because Nojel put his name in the draft portal doesn't mean that he was actually thinking about turning pro. He got feedback for where his game needed improvement. He got it and is increasing his skills and usefulness in CMPs system.

Reactions: Schnelk
OK, you are either an IU fan or, more likely, an OSU fan. Let's have full disclosure if you are going to focus your posts on criticising a Purdue player after a big win.
I'm a Purdue fan. Frustrated with some guys development that's all.

Eastern is so over rated. He thinks he's a pro?? He's not anywhere ready for the next level. Tired of watching him miss layups.
Such criticism. I make no excuses for my son play he no he didn’t play well he acknowledged that but to call him over rated interesting comment and he more ready to play at the next level than u think. He missed lay ups bcuz he hurt his knee did u not see that but he played through it to help the team win. But still held C.J. Jackson under his average. Stop looking at the negative he not perfect oh by the way didn’t Purdue WIN.

We need all of our players to take a huge step. That's what coaching is for.

Do you think Nojel never hit an outside shot in HS or AAU? Maybe, just maybe he might find the shot the same way he found his FT.

All I know is I've only watched him once outside of a game situation (S16 in Boston last year) and he hit at least 5 threes in a row.
Or maybe he is following exactly what the coaching staff wants him to do and isn’t shooting jumpers.

Such criticism. I make no excuses for my son play he no he didn’t play well he acknowledged that but to call him over rated interesting comment and he more ready to play at the next level than u think. He missed lay ups bcuz he hurt his knee did u not see that but he played through it to help the team win. But still held C.J. Jackson under his average. Stop looking at the negative he not perfect oh by the way didn’t Purdue WIN.
Thought you were gone forever. You had to be proud Jan. 19th. Kid is ball’n Don’t get sucked in.

There are SO many great things the NE does that adds to the team.

- lock down defender
- can guard players other than guards
- lock down defender
- sets up the offense
- lock down defender
- REBOUNDS

Is he a pro prospect? Don't know. He'll have to continue to improve on his free throws, and he MUST develop at least a mid-range jumper.

Oh, did I mention lock down defender?

As a former coach, I loved it when I had someone who could do this (like Tony Jones - my all-time favorite).

Don’t worry about that guy, he’s only a troll. I’ll take a guy like Nojel every year!!! I love how he sets the defensive tone each game and takes only what is given on offense while supporting his teammates at all times. Good win Boilers and keep it going Nojel!!!

Nojel is going to be important as next year's glue guy holding things together as the leader while we adjust to the loss of Cline, Edwards and Eifert.

Eastern is so over rated. He thinks he's a pro?? He's not anywhere ready for the next level. Tired of watching him miss layups.

Get off the board with this sh*t. Hijacking a positive thread to go out of you way to talk this garbage about a player the OP didn't list???? You realize that its SMART to get feedback from the experts of his craft. And if you're going to harp on a few mistakes and let them overshadow the positives he does for this team, we don't need you as a Purdue fan.

Let's not put words in his mouth. He's a promising guy, has work to do - just like everyone.
Here is a genuine question/concern...the guy can barely finish with any consistency with his strong/dominant hand, yet, continues to make things more complicated by repeatedly trying to use his off-hand. Last night, he had a layup on the left side and used his right hand that just made no sense.

The guy is phenomenal at the defensive end, but, his overall basketball IQ (including last night's pass off his chest from Carsen that even the announcers were making fun of) is indeed something that needs work still as you suggest...and he simply has to be better able to finish at (or around) the basket...he had another layup on the left side last night where his shot never even got above the rim (which is crazy hard to do at that level and with his size)...thankfully Williams rebounded it and scored...his next shot was a running off-hand skyhook essentially, that ultimately Grady rebounded and drew Wesson's fifth foul.

If/when he can finish at the rim and in the lane, it will be huge (for him, and, for Purdue)...hopefully it happens at some point in light of that. The will is there I think...just needs to continue to work as you had pointed out, and, hopefully that will translate to improvement and success.

Last edited:
Here is a genuine question/concern...the guy can barely finish with any consistency with his strong/dominant hand, yet, continues to make things more complicated by repeatedly trying to use his off-hand. Last night, he had a layup on the left side and used his right hand that just made no sense.

The guy is phenomenal at the defensive end, but, his overall basketball IQ (including last night's pass off his chest from Carsen that even the announcers were making fun of) is indeed something that needs a lot of work...and he simply has to be able to finish at (or around) the basket and he is not good at doing so...he had another layup on the left side last night where his shot never even got above the rim (which is crazy hard to do at that level and with his size)...thankfully Williams rebounded it and scored...his next shot was a running off-hand skyhook essentially, that ultimately Grady rebounded and drew Wesson's fifth foul.

If/when he can finish at the rim and in the lane, it will be huge (for him, and, for Purdue)...hopefully it happens at some point in light of that.
So he had a off night scoring the ball last night but from my memory that has not been a problem at all in the past. Jell is pretty damn good at finishing around the rim. BTW what is his strong or dominant hand? I have seen him dunk with both, shot FT’s with both, and shot jumpers with both.

Defensively he is fine, but yes needs improvement making the lay ups. It looked to me as if he was avoiding the foul too much and didn't go up strong. There are areas EVERYONE can improve. As much as I love Carsen, you do see he still forces some things and he lost the handle last night several times. Every player can and will get better. Nojel works so hard on defense, that sometimes we don't see as much effort on offense. JMO

Reactions: DAG10

It's been a while; welcome back.

I remember well a comment that you made to an IU fan discussing Romeo here and how well he would do against Purdue. You simply said Jan 19th.

Well on that day Nojel showed everyone what a player he is. He took Langford out of the game - and likely the NW game as well. NE was an important part of the Purdue win.

You also said early on that as the season progressed this team would become dangerous. Looks like that is dead-on as well.

He's a bucs fan so take his comments with a grain of salt.

Your son has shown massive improvements already this season and is one outstanding defender. I love watching him play.

The guy is phenomenal at the defensive end, but, his overall basketball IQ (including last night's pass off his chest from Carsen that even the announcers were making fun of) is indeed something that needs work still as you suggest...and he simply has to be better able to finish at (or around) the basket...he had another layup on the left side last night where his shot never even got above the rim (which is crazy hard to do at that level and with his size)...thankfully Williams rebounded it and scored...his next shot was a running off-hand skyhook essentially, that ultimately Grady rebounded and drew Wesson's fifth foul.

If/when he can finish at the rim and in the lane, it will be huge (for him, and, for Purdue)...hopefully it happens at some point in light of that. The will is there I think...just needs to continue to work as you had pointed out, and, hopefully that will translate to improvement and success.
Just so you no Nojel dominate hand is his right hand he is right handed period just shoots with his left hand but can make layups with either hand he just missed the layups period everybody is entitled to off nights won’t have many of those days missing wide open layups. He got kicked in the thigh was in a lot of pain why he was out and played thru the pain when he got back in the game so it’s possible that bothers him jumping either way he has on off night last I checked he’s HUMAN. He’ll be ready for mich state tho

So he had a off night scoring the ball last night but from my memory that has not been a problem at all in the past. Jell is pretty damn good at finishing around the rim. BTW what is his strong or dominant hand? I have seen him dunk with both, shot FT’s with both, and shot jumpers with both.
He’s actually right handed but he can use both hands equally. You absolutely right he had an off night it happens he wasn’t happy with his performance offensively but he didn’t let that stop him from doing other things to help the team win. He’ll bounce back Sunday he said he knows what he gotta do I trust in that statement.

Reactions: Dakota Girl

Not sure if this is ignorance or trolling. I hope for your sake it’s trollling.

Our family absolutely loves watching Nojel play ball! His D at IU—Romeo was phenomenal! He has had a great year. Everyone has an off night occasionally, but I can tell you—Boilermaker Nation loves Nojel! He’s a stud!

Nojel exasperates me. I think he's got a great attitude, he's a great defender. I'm sure he listens to coach, which is why he plays. And his free throws have gotten much better (even if they still look a little funny.) And he's a great rebounder as well.

And yet he misses layouts and dunks, and sometimes just kicks the ball out of bounds. And he won't even take an open 15-footer at this point.

It's just a strange mix of skills and ability. In some ways, the things he does really well almost highlight the things he doesn't do as well.

I believe he'll keep improving and working hard. I like him, I just wish he would learn to shoot better and finish around the rim.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT