ADVERTISEMENT

Breakdown of B1G Schedules

Ya, it's a rough league any way you slice it. I'm not looking for an easy schedule. An easy schedule won't make the Boilers better. I am interested in the one-ways -- who we get at home, and who we get on the road.

Reactions: punaj
So is this the rankings from Kenpom 2016 or the new rankings for 2017
I have the same question. If using 2015-16 stats it is not very useful. But not sure how Kenpom would have 2016-17 preseason SOS given his ratings are stat based.

edit: I looked up his methodology and it is based on a regression of the past nine seasons.

We need to push for an extended B10 schedule. I really don't understand who would be against increasing it to 20, or even 22, games. Start the B10 season at the beginning of December. That gives you 3 extra weeks. Does anybody get excited about seeing us play Indiana State or someone like that?

Increasing the B10 schedule creates more exposure on TV, more exciting games in person, a better Boiler team due to better competition, and more even scheduling across the B10 (not as many "easy' or "hard" schedules)

We need to push for an extended B10 schedule. I really don't understand who would be against increasing it to 20, or even 22, games. Start the B10 season at the beginning of December. That gives you 3 extra weeks. Does anybody get excited about seeing us play Indiana State or someone like that?

Increasing the B10 schedule creates more exposure on TV, more exciting games in person, a better Boiler team due to better competition, and more even scheduling across the B10 (not as many "easy' or "hard" schedules)
Better yet, do away with the B10 tourney. Winner takes top spot and if you're good enough after that......

Won't happen IMHO. Increasing the B1G schedule takes away home dates and gates from the league overall. League teams can all schedule their own Indiana State and get good to great gates, vs only have getting gates due to conference games. Love to see it, but doubt it happens to that degree.

Better yet, do away with the B10 tourney. Winner takes top spot and if you're good enough after that......
Split conference into 2 divisions like football. Expand to 19 game conference season. Play intra-division teams 2x and inter-division teams 1x. Conference tourney for top 3 teams in each division plus next 2 teams by overall record. Regular season crowns divisional title. Tourney crowns conference champ.

Reactions: BoilerBiker
Won't happen IMHO. Increasing the B1G schedule takes away home dates and gates from the league overall. League teams can all schedule their own Indiana State and get good to great gates, vs only have getting gates due to conference games. Love to see it, but doubt it happens to that degree.

Agree......No way can I see the conference regular season going beyond 18.....when the BTT first started, it dropped to sixteen games for about a decade. The unbalanced schedule (among other things) is the price paid for expansion. When Penn State came along, it was tolerable (with 2 single plays), then the BTT, then Nebraska, now Maryland and Rutgers.....and it's like roulette with which teams end up getting a schedule break. Division scheduling would simplify the process, but that could really end up being unbalanced as well.....like with football. Unfortunately, Purdue cannot take full advantage of the Western division without a competitive team.

Also, just like with football, the Championship Game (BTT) is here to stay......

The one thing I would like to see considered is moving the BTT championship to Saturday, but I guess the conference brass likes being the last game on Sunday......and the NCAA Tournament Committee pretty much ignores it unless an automatic qualifier is in play.

I caught that, too. The bottom teams have the tougher schedules because they don't play themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT