We are witnesses.

Great crop of PGs in the B10.
Does Smith now top the B10 list?
Does he top the list nationally?

Buie 18.9 ppg. 5.3R 3.4A. 1ST
Hawkins 9.5ppg 3.7R 7.5A 1.7ST
Thornton 16.2 ppg. 3.7R. 4.1 A. 1.2ST
Young. 20.9ppg. 4.8R. 4.2A. 1.3 ST
I think he’s the best OVERALL point guard and best at running his team. Buie and Young are best SCORING PGs…but Braden is not far behind and he isn’t the focal point like they are so if he was, maybe he could be on that level.

I think Braden is just as good as Hawkins at running the team, if not better. Thornton is a good scoring pg but inconsistent….IMO

Nobody will remember but I told you all this would happen before he set foot on campus.
But then I also said the same thing about Lewis Jackson before he arrived. Though I think LewJack DOES do it if he had 1 good foot (out of 2).

Reactions: rgarlitz
Since Cousy award has come out, smith is averaging:

15.5 points
7.3 assists
8 rebounds
2 steals

Recalculating.....recalculating....... :)

tumblr_nv4v8sAhKH1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Love Braden and not saying I'd trade him but.....if Purdue had Buie, we might be undefeated.

True. Those extra years of experience help him & would us in this hypothetical. And I like how he wills his team, even what there is left of it, to Victory.

But interesting to step back and compare a Soph Braden to Buie.
Smith. Vs Buie. Soph yr
12.7. Ppg. 10.3
5.8. Reb. 2.3
7.3. Assists 4.0
47.3. FG%. 36.9
44.1. 3pt%. 36

As Sophomores it's really no contest. Granted Smith has a better team to work with... And for sure NW was terrible team then, but soph Buie was part of that.

I was just about to post this! Haha.

I thought for sure he was going to break it last night.

But yeah pretty amazing stuff for a kid with almost no D1 offers. He continues to get better and better. Well on his way to being the best PG Purdue has ever had
Not sure he isn’t already there?

Reactions: TC4THREE
Not sure he isn’t already there?

Showing him @ 206 for the season and 359 for his career so far through 64 games.

Bruce Parkinson had 207 in 1975 (28 games) and 690 assist in 112 games.

nvm....I misunderstood your point......haha. All this Boilerepherine-induced trauma has extracted its toll.

He's right there.

Reactions: tjreese
Showing him @ 206 for the season and 359 for his career so far through 64 games.

Bruce Parkinson had 207 in 1975 (28 games) and 690 assist in 112 games.

nvm....I misunderstood your point......haha. All this Boilerepherine-induced trauma has extracted its toll.

He's right there.
I hope to see Bruce at a game, but our paths haven't crossed. There is probably nobody Bruce would rather lose the assist to than Braden. Dustin and Austin played a lot of ball together.

I hope to see Bruce at a game, but our paths haven't crossed. There is probably nobody Bruce would rather lose the assist to than Braden. Dustin and Austin played a lot of ball together.
Curious…could you share more on them playing ball together? Not as versed in that!

Curious…could you share more on them playing ball together? Not as versed in that!
So Dustin was one year older than Austin. Austin was the PG and Dustin the shooter at Northwestern High school (outside of Kokomo). Kim's brother played with them. Dustin went out to Arkansas and became a PG out there. I could write a bit more since I knew them back when they were in elementary school. Anyway, they played high school together. They were both very good from the get. Austin's height worked against him at Purdue. Jane (mom) is not very tall...

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I was just about to post this! Haha.

I thought for sure he was going to break it last night.

But yeah pretty amazing stuff for a kid with almost no D1 offers. He continues to get better and better. Well on his way to being the best PG Purdue has ever had
I love Braden but I’m not sure he is the best. Carsen played some point and was first team all big ten soph and jr years and 2nd team all American. The argument could be made he was more of a shooting guard.

Although Bruce Parkinson is a big fan and would probably not mind losing his record to Braden, they played at a different time and Bruce also didn’t have back-to-back NPOY to pass to inside. They also didn’t play as many games back then as they do now, in fact Braden has already played one more game than Bruce did when he broke the record. And when he did he crushed it and held not just Purdue but big ten record until mateen Cleese’s broke it decades later. Had he not hurt his wrist he may have had a long nba career too.

Others arguably better Pg than Braden are Troy Lewis, Everette Stevens, and Brian Walker. John Wooden clearly but back then they really didn’t have PG, SG, CG, etc.

I love Braden but I’m not sure he is the best. Carsen played some point and was first team all big ten soph and jr years and 2nd team all American. The argument could be made he was more of a shooting guard.

Although Bruce Parkinson is a big fan and would probably not mind losing his record to Braden, they played at a different time and Bruce also didn’t have back-to-back NPOY to pass to inside. They also didn’t play as many games back then as they do now, in fact Braden has already played one more game than Bruce did when he broke the record. And when he did he crushed it and held not just Purdue but big ten record until mateen Cleese’s broke it decades later. Had he not hurt his wrist he may have had a long nba career too.

Others arguably better Pg than Braden are Troy Lewis, Everette Stevens, and Brian Walker. John Wooden clearly but back then they really didn’t have PG, SG, CG, etc.
Troy was not a pg, everette not as good...brian I thought about and can't remember enough since he had Jerry Sichting helping him IMO. Bruce was never the same after he broke his wrist. AS been stated elsewhere different times make for impossible comparisons many times between great players if close. Braden's scoring, rebounding and assists are all very good for a PG. Losing Zach will take away some things Braden does today, but Braden is best in the open floor and using his quickness. He might get a few assists next year with Kanon

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

Walker was good, but he had JBC and he didn't come close to Smith's numbers.

Troy Lewis was the SG on the same team where Everett Steven's was the PG.

Reactions: tjreese

I will take Smith over all of them

Since Cousy award has come out, smith is averaging:

15.5 points
7.3 assists
8 rebounds
2 steals
I'm sure those numbers are pretty common across the other finalist. In fact, there are probably 10 guys with better numbers.

I mean, could you image being given a task to go find a group of top guard talent based seemingly on objective det of facts, like the numbers above, and leave off the ONE player leading the country in such numbers.

One would look pretty stupid. Good thing that didn't happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT