ADVERTISEMENT

BOT Compensation Committee approves Katie Gearlds contract extension, raise

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Today, the BOT Compensation Committee approved the contract extension terms for Katie Gearlds.

Working to confirm the terms, but per Mike Carmin’s report, Gearlds will be extended through the 2028-29 season, with her salary increasing from $550k to $700k.

Still has to go through a final approval, but this was something that has been in the works for awhile now.

Can anyone explain why she deserves a raise this huge? It's not like any other D1 school would offer her a head coaching job.

Can anyone explain why she deserves a raise this huge? It's not like any other D1 school would offer her a head coaching job.
I have to agree that this seems a bit out of proportion after a losing season and noticeable regression on many fronts.

Extending her contract, along with a more modest raise (like maybe $50K?), would still send a solid message to current & future players that Purdue believes she is the right fit for the job and has things heading in the right direction.

The article on the GBI website about her new contract terms (and CMP’s) is a rose-colored-glasses, optimistic piece, citing “post-season play” in each of her first 3 years…. Well, “making it” to this most recent post-season was certainly nothing to beat one’s chest over. But it’s a homer publication; and I’m honestly glad the team got to play a couple more games, especially for Ellis, JT, and C. Harper (who had to watch from the stands, with a pair of crutches as her sidekick).

To be clear, I like CKG and am rooting for her and the team to take a big jump next season. She took over a really fractured, slumping program and brought immediate energy, a little swagger, lightened the mood, and most importantly, I think, restored hope. 2023-2024 was a slide backwards, for sure, but I’m anxious to see what the 24-25 season brings.

Reactions: Gesysp
I am also okay with the extension, if done smartly. KG is far from a proven commodity, so yeah, a 50k raise but with a significantly reduced payout after she's been here five years in case last year wasn't an anomaly.

As far as this coming season, I'll be impressed if we win more than a dozen games. All the talent but the pf from Akron are underclassmen with no collegiate starting experience from a losing team last year. Several show some talent, but it's not like it's a collection of top 25, can't miss kids, game ready from day one. They all need a lot of coaching up and development, and them going through those growing pains could be very ugly.

I am also okay with the extension, if done smartly. KG is far from a proven commodity, so yeah, a 50k raise but with a significantly reduced payout after she's been here five years in case last year wasn't an anomaly.

As far as this coming season, I'll be impressed if we win more than a dozen games. All the talent but the pf from Akron are underclassmen with no collegiate starting experience from a losing team last year. Several show some talent, but it's not like it's a collection of top 25, can't miss kids, game ready from day one. They all need a lot of coaching up and development, and them going through those growing pains could be very ugly.
Yep. No disagreement here on any of this. Hoping the incoming freshman guard Poole develops quickly and confidently, alongside the younger Reynolds sister.
But the growing pains characterization is likely spot-on. Strap in for a bumpy ride, eh?

Reactions: MichaelRR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT