Big Ten Tournament: Round 1 Thread

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
Basketball is back!

Ohio State v Wisconsin

and

Minnesota v Nebraska

Who are we rooting for? Honestly don’t think any of our potential opponents are a cake walk. OSU has been really bad but has some good players. Wisconsin has the potential to play well as we’ve seen. And both Iowa and MSU can play well when “On.”

Reactions: lovelyblonde
I'm thinking Wisconsin and Nebraska win. But who the hell knows. Never know who will randomly go off for a game.

I'm thinking Wisconsin and Nebraska win. But who the hell knows. Never know who will randomly go off for a game.
Nebraska is my cinderella for the big tourney! I know many probably don't usually use that term with the conference tourney, but I am going to use it since it's a bottom feeder team.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Gophers can’t contain Tominaga.
He is a dangerous little booger for sure, but I still think any team can win this. Minnesota a few weeks ago hung with Indiana all game and while Indiana was down a starter this year, Minnesota had SEVERAL players out and still managed to hang around. I WILL NOT look past any team.

Reactions: TX4GB
Currently Ohio State -2 and Nebraska -5.5. Both good lines IMO. I could see the 12/13 game going either way. Nebraska should cover but feels like a bad beat type of game where Minny doesn't really get back in it but loses by 5.

who has the best away record? ... I'm too old and lazy to research anymore.
It seems Wisc and MN have slightly better away records.

Last edited:
Basketball is back!

Ohio State v Wisconsin

and

Minnesota v Nebraska

Who are we rooting for? Honestly don’t think any of our potential opponents are a cake walk. OSU has been really bad but has some good players. Wisconsin has the potential to play well as we’ve seen. And both Iowa and MSU can play well when “On.”
won't watch but I'd prefer osu to win and hopefully Battle outscores Toyota

Gophers can’t contain Tominaga.

Dribble left hand - fake-uh right.......dribble right hand - fake uh-left....shoot beyond arc and when go in......raise arm and three fingers like so.......if do right, no way can stop you.

b0db501b-785d-485c-b9c2-b99510d97f40_text.gif

I suppose I want Wisconsin to beat OSU to keep Wisconsin's NCAA Tournament hopes alive. On the other hand, I wonder many games OSU would have to win to get serious NIT consideration. The Buckeyes are 5 games under .500 overall, but they're #63 in the NET--which is in the NIT at-large ball park. I can't remember the NIT ever taking a team under .500, but could it happen if OSU gets to, say, the B1G semi-final?

I suppose I want Wisconsin to beat OSU to keep Wisconsin's NCAA Tournament hopes alive. On the other hand, I wonder many games OSU would have to win to get serious NIT consideration. The Buckeyes are 5 games under .500 overall, but they're #63 in the NET--which is in the NIT at-large ball park. I can't remember the NIT ever taking a team under .500, but could it happen if OSU gets to, say, the B1G semi-final?
I thought .500 was the rule but I suppose that may have been eliminated at some point.

I thought .500 was the rule but I suppose that may have been eliminated at some point.

No longer a requirement, but I think committee members still may use it as a factor.

Regular season conference champions who don't make the NCAA field automatically qualify for the NIT.

Reactions: Schnelk
No longer a requirement, but I think committee members still may use it as a factor.

Regular season conference champions who don't make the NCAA field automatically qualify for the NIT.
I believe 7 have qualified that way so far, but one of them is St. Mary's, so 6 really.

I want OSU. The only reason is that likely ensures both OSU and Whisky miss the dance. Hate both programs.

In other conference news, Eric Hunter Jr is not playing for Butler today because of "academics." Manny Bates as well. Awfully strange on its face.
Just sat down to watch. I wondered why he didn’t start the 2nd half. Very strange.

At this rate Wisconsin is not only going to the NIT, they might end up playing on the road in the NIT

In other conference news, Eric Hunter Jr is not playing for Butler today because of "academics." Manny Bates as well. Awfully strange on its face.
Bates posted that his grade slipped below a B which is what is expected for graduate students. Assuming it was the same for Hunter.

Anyone with Hulu having technical issues with both BTN and FS1 (Big East) games? First half of OSU/Wisky was fine, but I’ve not been able to see either game in the last 40-45 minutes. My ESPN Network stuff is fine. Weird.

Reactions: Schnelk
Also, congrats to Lutz for taking A&M CC taking them to the tourney after winning the Southland tourney. The broadcast said they have one of the highest FT% in the country.
Not out of the realm of possibility for us to play them, especially if we are a 1. CC is probably a 16.

Reactions: TX4GB
He is a dangerous little booger for sure, but I still think any team can win this. Minnesota a few weeks ago hung with Indiana all game and while Indiana was down a starter this year, Minnesota had SEVERAL players out and still managed to hang around. I WILL NOT look past any team.
Speaking of booger, Nebraska’s team reminds me of the Revenge of the Nerds.

Anyone with Hulu having technical issues with both BTN and FS1 (Big East) games? First half of OSU/Wisky was fine, but I’ve not been able to see either game in the last 40-45 minutes. My ESPN Network stuff is fine. Weird.
Yes, I too had problems. It seemed to be linked to the commercial where they were advertising the 5K run.

Reactions: Schnelk and 4IUSox2
Two great games tonight. B1G showing what it’s known for. Exciting games, physical basketball and poor officiating.

The Tominaga illegal screen was a killer, but Nebraska had plenty of chances in that last two minutes. Minnesota had a stretch of five straight possessions resulting in three turnovers, a missed front end, and two more missed FT's.

Tominaga led all scorers with 23.

The Tominaga illegal screen was a killer, but Nebraska had plenty of chances in that last two minutes. Minnesota had a stretch of five straight possessions resulting in three turnovers, a missed front end, and two more missed FT's.
Minnesota seemed to stop running offense at a certain point and started playing more street ball. Cooper had 12 assists with maybe 10 minutes left, and didn't get another one.

The Tominaga screen was a bad call, and one a guard doesn't get very often. The other one was legit, and one Hunter Dickinson would have been proud of.

PurdueDave, thank you for confirming this Hulu issue and YES, it was that exact 5K run commercial that did it!!! Now I can tell my wife it wasn’t just me and I’m not nuts!!!

Reactions: DrEss and Schnelk
Yes my stream stuck and I eventually quit looking.

Some interesting games for Round 2:

Rutgers/Michigan (winner plays Purdue)

Ohio State/Iowa (winner plays Michigan State)

Penn State/Illinois (winner plays Northwestern)

Minnesota/Maryland (winner plays Indiana)
Michigan and Rutgers - Michigan needs this win to keep their hopes alive. Same with Rutgers or are they a lock?

I want OSU to get us another Francon 1.

PSU needs this win to keep their hopes alive from what I see.

Maryland should win but they are Jekyll and Hyde team this year. Certainly have the guards to make some noise in the tourney but would be funny to watch Minnesota win the B1G and get an auto bid.

Reactions: TX4GB and rgarlitz
Sorry to hear other Hulu users had same issue too, missing last 15 minutes of OSU/Wisky. When I switched over to Villanova/Georgetown on FS1, did basically same thing, so it was definitely a Fox thing. I turned everything off for about 30 minutes and was then able to watch BTN’s Minny/Nebraska game. So probably lasted for me, about an hour and 15 minutes.

Michigan and Rutgers - Michigan needs this win to keep their hopes alive. Same with Rutgers or are they a lock?

I want OSU to get us another Francon 1.

PSU needs this win to keep their hopes alive from what I see.

Maryland should win but they are Jekyll and Hyde team this year. Certainly have the guards to make some noise in the tourney but would be funny to watch Minnesota win the B1G and get an auto bid.
go fightin Illini

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT