ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Title...

seminolesboilers

Sophomore
Oct 8, 2011
Winning a Big Ten title involves a number of factors...avoiding upsets(or bad losses), a favorable schedule, protecting home court, and being able to win on the road to name a few important ones. I looked at how each of the top six teams in the Big Ten based on RPI ( Iowa, Indiana, Maryland, Purdue, Michigan State, and Wisconsin) have fared in these categories to this point in the season.

Each of the top six teams in the conference has suffered a bad loss to this point:

Iowa (@Penn State)
Indiana (@ Penn State)
Maryland (@Minnesota)
Purdue ( @Illinois)
Michigan State (@home to Nebraska)
Wisconsin (@Northwestern)

Who has a more favorable schedule? In terms of playing each other...this is how it will break down:

Wisconsin plays 9 games against the other top teams (only has Iowa once away)
Purdue plays 8 games against top competition in conference (only has IU away and MSU home both once)
Iowa plays 8 games against top opponents ( Maryland away and Wisconsin home both once)
Indiana plays 7 games against the top tier (Purdue home, Maryland home, Michigan State away all once)
Michigan State plays 7 tough games in conference ( IU home, Maryland home, Purdue away all once)
Maryland plays 7 games against the other top teams (Iowa home, IU away, Michigan State away all once)

Who has protected home court the best?

Iowa and Indiana 0 losses at home within conference
Purdue and Maryland 1 loss at home within conference
Michigan State and Wisconsin 2 losses at home within conference

Winning away from the friendly confines...here are the road records within the conference to this point:

Iowa 4-3
Indiana 4-3
Maryland 4-3
Purdue 3-4
Michigan State 4-3
Wisconsin 3-3

The unbalanced schedule is a major factor. It favors IU, Maryland, MSU...and is toughest for Wisconsin. No top team has taken advantage of others slipping up (Each has a bad loss). Road records are very close...but the teams who have been able to protect home court (Iowa and IU) currently lead the conference.

I would give Iowa the edge at this point with the head to head game against IU at Iowa City. More deciding games to be played...and tomorrow is a big opportunity for Purdue to improve their conference standing and NCAA Tournament resume with a big win on the road.

Great post. I was just thinking today that the other top teams in the league have done as much as possible to give us a shot at a title. We just aren't taking advantage of it. I'm hoping we go down to B-town and get a win, but my instincts are telling me it's a tough row to hoe. They're undefeated at home and beginning to shoot well from outside. If we control the pace and close out on shooters, we have a shot. A real shot. If they start drilling the outside and force us into a running game trying to catch up...we're toast. We can't lose composure and think we're going to run OR if we go cold from outside but continue to jack them up....it's going to be tough to come out with a win. WE MUST IMPOSE OUR WILL ON THEM. Make them play our game and we're fine. BOILER UP!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT