ADVERTISEMENT

Big picture

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
I realize nobody wants big picture perspective just hours after a tough loss, but here it goes anyway.

So it turns out, when it comes to the 2017 Boilermakers, in the infamous words of Dennis Green, they are who we thought they were. Actually, they are still better than most thought they would be. Most preseason projections were 3 or 4 wins, in a year one of a massive rebuild. We had some early season cause to believe that Brohm came in, snapped his fingers, and the rebuild was years ahead of schedule. Turns out the offense was feasting on mostly terrible defenses that masked some serious deficiencies. Really, if you have been listening to Coach Brohm, the offensive struggles should not be a surprise. The defense dominated the offense in camp. He knew there was simply not enough talent and experience on this offense to sustain success. It is the reason for rotating QBs, desperately hoping the competition would draw one of them beyond themselves.

It's always more fun to win than lose, but this is a season of transition. Of growing pains. Today was a giant growing pain. This season is about setting the table for the future. It's about implementing an identity. It's about the staff developing guys and figuring out which players are going to be the keys to success. And it's about recruiting key pieces for the future. We just had a major win in that area last night in Karlaftis.

Honestly, after today's game I am left with the feeling that it doesn't matter much in the big picture whether we end up 7-5 or 5-7. The ultimate goal is for more than 7-5.
Not giving up on this year's team, but the only guys that will likely be around when we get to that special place where offense, defense, and special teams are all playing well and there is talent and depth in the pipeline, are the coaching staff and maybe the current freshmen.

So, as for me, I am going to go back to the mindset I started this year with, which is to try to enjoy the process for what it is and take wins as a bonus. I do think it would be a boost to the program to make a bowl game, so I am pulling for it. Just not an 'expectation' at this point.

We might catch somebody sleeping and win 1 more by any more than that is a pipe dream.

Reactions: DG10
We might catch somebody sleeping and win 1 more by any more than that is a pipe dream.
It might look different in the light of day tomorrow. This was a conference road game. I'll give them that. And as out of sorts and mistake prone as the offense looked, they still managed to roll up a lot of yards. I still think we beat the Illini and one other.

Why do you think the offense is struggling so much?
Rotating QBs. One guy has no confidence while the other gets the benefit of the doubt over the other.

Iffy OL play. Line will mold and gel over time but they aren't great.

Inconsistent play calling. No matter how bad our hands were today, the staff was in their own heads and made some horrendous calls factoring in down and distance.

No great WRs.

Lots of things working against us here. We seem to be getting worse, not better in that side of the ball.

I realize nobody wants big picture perspective just hours after a tough loss, but here it goes anyway.

So it turns out, when it comes to the 2017 Boilermakers, in the infamous words of Dennis Green, they are who we thought they were. Actually, they are still better than most thought they would be. Most preseason projections were 3 or 4 wins, in a year one of a massive rebuild. We had some early season cause to believe that Brohm came in, snapped his fingers, and the rebuild was years ahead of schedule. Turns out the offense was feasting on mostly terrible defenses that masked some serious deficiencies. Really, if you have been listening to Coach Brohm, the offensive struggles should not be a surprise. The defense dominated the offense in camp. He knew there was simply not enough talent and experience on this offense to sustain success. It is the reason for rotating QBs, desperately hoping the competition would draw one of them beyond themselves.

It's always more fun to win than lose, but this is a season of transition. Of growing pains. Today was a giant growing pain. This season is about setting the table for the future. It's about implementing an identity. It's about the staff developing guys and figuring out which players are going to be the keys to success. And it's about recruiting key pieces for the future. We just had a major win in that area last night in Karlaftis.

Honestly, after today's game I am left with the feeling that it doesn't matter much in the big picture whether we end up 7-5 or 5-7. The ultimate goal is for more than 7-5.
Not giving up on this year's team, but the only guys that will likely be around when we get to that special place where offense, defense, and special teams are all playing well and there is talent and depth in the pipeline, are the coaching staff and maybe the current freshmen.

So, as for me, I am going to go back to the mindset I started this year with, which is to try to enjoy the process for what it is and take wins as a bonus. I do think it would be a boost to the program to make a bowl game, so I am pulling for it. Just not an 'expectation' at this point.
Good post. Well stated and accurate. Some may not like to hear it right now because that was indeed a bad loss, but it's the reality.

I keep wondering why the same receivers are playing every game, especially after the disaster today
Agreed. I'd like to see more of Holmes, Zico, Catlett... just to see what they can do. I know often the reasoning is they don't understand what they are doing well enough. Here's a thought; take what they know and do that. It may become predictable, but at least you're giving some guys a shot. Maybe they can make plays, maybe not. I'd also like to see Wright more. I think he's been pretty productive, though I know injuries have slowed him.

A combination of all things. Pedestrian QB play, regardless of who is in. A struggling o-line. Wide receivers who can't catch. The biggest thing I think is Coach Brohm is struggling. He knows that he has to (or at least feels like he has to) limit himself while calling plays. He has said it before that he feels like he has to be a little more conservative. What that means is he knows he doesn't have the talent he's used to, so he can't just do what he normally would. And I feel like he is struggling with that because it's not in his nature to be conservative. So he is making calls that perhaps he wouldn't normally think and he is out of rhythm. Maybe he'll go back to just doing what he does and to heck with it. All these things together have spelled disaster, especially the last two weeks.

As the original post said, the progress is still quite evident. Most of us thought 3-5 wins preseason. We're still on par for the latter. We all want to win and go to a bowl now, but we knew before the season that was a stretch. It's not out of the question. They're just going to have to improve a lot, and quickly. If any staff can do it, I believe these guys can.

Boiler up.

It's not a coincidence the O looked better when Wright started playing.

I don't think we really saw him until the last 20 minutes of the game.

I know he's been banged up but that's an odd choice.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
What happened to our Tight Ends today? It seemed they played a major role early in the season, but lately they haven't done much of anything as far as catching the ball especially today. Is Hopkins hurt? I think Herdman only had 1 catch for 6 yards.

If your Penn St., drops aren’t good but won’t kill you, Purdue on the other hand has got to bring those passes in someway somehow, they just do. Whatever it is with these guys, I hope they get it figured out real soon, maybe check their eyesight?

Good post. Well stated and accurate. Some may not like to hear it right now because that was indeed a bad loss, but it's the reality.

Agreed. I'd like to see more of Holmes, Zico, Catlett... just to see what they can do. I know often the reasoning is they don't understand what they are doing well enough. Here's a thought; take what they know and do that. It may become predictable, but at least you're giving some guys a shot. Maybe they can make plays, maybe not. I'd also like to see Wright more. I think he's been pretty productive, though I know injuries have slowed him.

A combination of all things. Pedestrian QB play, regardless of who is in. A struggling o-line. Wide receivers who can't catch. The biggest thing I think is Coach Brohm is struggling. He knows that he has to (or at least feels like he has to) limit himself while calling plays. He has said it before that he feels like he has to be a little more conservative. What that means is he knows he doesn't have the talent he's used to, so he can't just do what he normally would. And I feel like he is struggling with that because it's not in his nature to be conservative. So he is making calls that perhaps he wouldn't normally think and he is out of rhythm. Maybe he'll go back to just doing what he does and to heck with it. All these things together have spelled disaster, especially the last two weeks.

As the original post said, the progress is still quite evident. Most of us thought 3-5 wins preseason. We're still on par for the latter. We all want to win and go to a bowl now, but we knew before the season that was a stretch. It's not out of the question. They're just going to have to improve a lot, and quickly. If any staff can do it, I believe these guys can.

Boiler up.
You are right. Brohm is use to having his recruits who are very good on offense and he can call plays that use that talent. He doesn't have that here yet. I guess he just needs to run the plays that will work for now.
It's just hard for me to understand why the offense is struggling now after looking decent to start the season?

Good Lord come on people it was one game. Yeah it was terrible and I'm just as upset about it as anyone, but dismissing the rest of the season when there is still a lot of games to be played and anything can happen just doesn't make sense to me.

We don't know what changes Brohm will make on offense, but there have been signs of life before against better talent than Rutgers so there isn't any reason to jump off a ledge and give up on the season.

There were some on here that said not to read too much in to how we played against better teams or the wins we had, same can be said here with the loss to Rutgers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue85 and Heiner
I think the way Purdue shoots themselves in the foot, is why a lot of fans are wondering what is wrong. It makes them think about the last 4 years. To lose like Purdue did to Rutgers, I don't think it could have been much worse to discourage fans. Of course a good game against Nebraska will change that perception.

Reactions: pboiler18
I think the way Purdue shoots themselves in the foot, is why a lot of fans are wondering what is wrong. It makes them think about the last 4 years. To lose like Purdue did to Rutgers, I don't think it could have been much worse to discourage fans. Of course a good game against Nebraska will change that perception.
I get the notion, but that is exactly why we need to take it one game at a time.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

I'll go back to what I've said before, there's just no margin for error. Even on the road vs Rutgers.

Here's something else to consider: Lots of people have been focused on our offensive woes (myself, included), while talking up our defense. However, in two straight losses (UW and Rutgers) we give up a looooooooooooong running TD on our opponents' first possession. Now, I understand the game doesn't occur in a vacuum, but for both games that set the tone and put us in a hole we never could overcome. This team, this offense, is simply not set up for that.

This staff and this team is having a solid year, and (for the most part) they're entertaining to watch (sans the dropped passes). They now have fans expecting to win, and (astonishingly!) wondering "what's wrong" when we don't.

Right now, I'll take it!

Reactions: FirstDownB and BBG
Well when what a team is doing isn't working, you change what the team is doing or change players or both. I hope the team turns it around against Nebraska, after yesterday the offense needs some confidence

Our offensive talent is probably not much worse than what Coach Brohm had with WKU. However, with Purdue’s offensive talent, he is now going up against much better defensive talent in the B1G. Yes some of those drops were unforced, but some were due to very good tight and physical coverage, or from hearing footsteps from a defender that stuck him good earlier.
But, Purdue’s running game had great 1st half success against RU’s defense. To me, we hear of coaches making halftime adjustments. After seeing what was good and bad in the first half, I fully expected or maybe just hoped the CB would run much more, but forcing passing play calls with the bad recipe of success on both sides of the ball seemed to be more of the priority or, stubbornness. That, was what was disappointing to me yesterday.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Good Lord come on people it was one game. Yeah it was terrible and I'm just as upset about it as anyone, but dismissing the rest of the season when there is still a lot of games to be played and anything can happen just doesn't make sense to me.

We don't know what changes Brohm will make on offense, but there have been signs of life before against better talent than Rutgers so there isn't any reason to jump off a ledge and give up on the season.

There were some on here that said not to read too much in to how we played against better teams or the wins we had, same can be said here with the loss to Rutgers.
We lost to Rutgers a bad team. It wasn't just one game either. The offense has been sputtering lately. Bad qb play and too many dropped balls.

Reactions: pboiler18
Our offensive talent is probably not much worse than what Coach Brohm had with WKU. However, with Purdue’s offensive talent, he is now going up against much better defensive talent in the B1G. Yes some of those drops were unforced, but some were due to very good tight and physical coverage, or from hearing footsteps from a defender that stuck him good earlier.
But, Purdue’s running game had great 1st half success against RU’s defense. To me, we hear of coaches making halftime adjustments. After seeing what was good and bad in the first half, I fully expected or maybe just hoped the CB would run much more, but forcing passing play calls with the bad recipe of success on both sides of the ball seemed to be more of the priority or, stubbornness. That, was what was disappointing to me yesterday.

Re the talent, really? You think so?

You could be right, but Brohm walked into a perfect situation at WKU. He served as AHC/OC for Bobby Petrino before Petrino took the UL job. Before that, Willie Taggart did a great job turning around that program, and put some talent on the roster.

sure, there weren't any 4-star players, but it's all about the right kind of talent at the right positions. That's where we're lacking. IMHO.

You are right. Brohm is use to having his recruits who are very good on offense and he can call plays that use that talent. He doesn't have that here yet. I guess he just needs to run the plays that will work for now.
It's just hard for me to understand why the offense is struggling now after looking decent to start the season?

I think he has been scouted now and has revealed some tendencies. I think so especially in regard to the jet sweep/QB sneak combo. That is one thing that comes to mind right away. I've been a high school defensive coordinator for a long time so that is something that sticks out to me.

I am not alarmed. It is STILL one game at a time and I think most forgot that thinking bowl. As usual, you will lose one you shouldn't (or 2) and win one (or 2) you shouldn't. I won't be surprised if we beat Nebraska. Just part of the game and process.

Reactions: sturgill33
I'm on record for predicting 4 wins. Why the O struggled ? too many dropped passes that killed drives, an OK Offensive line at best ( look at Sam Darnold w/ this year's OL, his stats are worse than last year), some crucial play calls like the head scratching 2 QB sneaks needing 2 yards when Woship and Jones were not being stopped, the double reverse pass on the 8 yard line instead of a trips right rub play where the outside runs underneath the clear out. Also it would be nice to utilize BLJ ( the forgotten man) on screen /swing passes or wheel routes.

Three facts.......
1.Want we wanted this year was to show improvement, be competitive and play hard...all things that were missing the past three years with you know who.
JB and this years team have accomplished that and more...
2.Revamp the third down play calling as it has been horrid whether it has been short, medium or long yardage at hand.
3.After our preseason games.....the Big Ten Coaches know what we are and are not...We play hard and are in most cases well coached....Our receivers can`t catch the ball or create separation, Our offensive line is suspect in pass protection and our QB`s will give you the ball at least once per game if not more.
I was pissed like most others when we shit down our leg at Rutgers but keep in mind how far we are beyond those "Hazy Days" of not so long ago......

Reactions: FirstDownB
I'm on record for predicting 4 wins. Why the O struggled ? too many dropped passes that killed drives, an OK Offensive line at best ( look at Sam Darnold w/ this year's OL, his stats are worse than last year), some crucial play calls like the head scratching 2 QB sneaks needing 2 yards when Woship and Jones were not being stopped, the double reverse pass on the 8 yard line instead of a trips right rub play where the outside runs underneath the clear out. Also it would be nice to utilize BLJ ( the forgotten man) on screen /swing passes or wheel routes.

Those all puzzled me. Also the other 4th and short where we tried a pass. Probably 80% chance of success if given to Worship or Jones.

Reactions: Bippus33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT