ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 changes mind.

I actually feel bad for IU. Rules were set up and agreed upon. IU has a once in a generation great season, beating Michigan, Penn State, MSU and Wisconsin, and should be going to a championship game based upon those rules. But now, since the golden boy OSU is the one getting screwed out by the rules....

And just like that, Lucy yanks the football away at the last second.

How it should be since OSU won the head to head in a game not as close as the final score indicated. I would've felt far worse for OSU being left out (and it's really hard to feel bad for OSU) because they would've been left out because of circumstances beyond their control and they have clearly been the best team in the East.

I think it is the correct result and rewards the more deserving team, but the Big Ten was its own worst enemy with the way they handled this and raised all sorts of questions about the true motivation. They had ample opportunity to tweak the rule when it would have not raised eyebrows, such as in the first couple weeks of the season when Wisconsin was missing games and everyone was talking about how they were headed for this same scenario. The implication is that the "right thing to do" may not have been done for any team other than OSU.

OSU beat IU. All of OSUs cancelled games were their opponents doing. OSU is in 1st place in the B1G East.

OSU deserves it.

The B1G made the 6 game rule prior to the COVID season. In the end, it wasn't a good rule, and they did away with it.

Actually, that's not quite correct. OSU cancelled the game against Illinois due to COVID within its own program.
https://news.osu.edu/ohio-state-football-team-update/

While I believe OSU has earned a spot in the CFB Playoff, IU deserves a chance at the Big Ten Championship. The rules were created for the COVID season. Everyone knew them going in. I would be furious (and I'm sure most of you would too) had this been Purdue getting hosed.

While I believe OSU has earned a spot in the CFB Playoff, IU deserves a chance at the Big Ten Championship. The rules were created for the COVID season. Everyone knew them going in. I would be furious (and I'm sure most of you would too) had this been Purdue getting hosed.
If only IU were getting hosed. Great season, just not better than Ohio State

But what happens now if one of the teams slated for the championship game can't play? Are substitutions allowed at the last minute? It would be strange to have the #2 team or less of both divisions playing each other for the championship!

Reactions: Indy_Rider

IU had a chance at a big ten championship and lost to Ohio State. If you want to follow the rules then cancel the whole season because the school presidents except Ohio St, Iowa and Nebraska voted to cancel the season.

I actually feel bad for IU. Rules were set up and agreed upon. IU has a once in a generation great season, beating Michigan, Penn State, MSU and Wisconsin, and should be going to a championship game based upon those rules. But now, since the golden boy OSU is the one getting screwed out by the rules....

I never feel better bad for IU

IU had a chance to beat the only good team in their division. They didn’t do it.

IU had a chance to beat the only good team in their division. They didn’t do it.
THIS.

Yes, IU has a solid team.

It also took UM and PSU to have their worst teams in generations. OSU is another story. As it turns out, OSU is the only team in the East worth a d@mn.

And, once again, nobody IU has beaten sits with a winning record. Yet, Allen is some coaching genius.

o_O

Truth be told, IU has also benefited from no fans in the stands ... which gives them the feel of every game a home game.

It's a shame for them. IU had the chance to back into their first B1G title in decades.

Kinda true but it's a bad look for the West for its champion to lose to MSU who then lost to and undermanned team by 40.

Not sure I'm following. Not sure I want to.

I'll make this easy.

It's illogical to "daisy-chain" games. The results are what they are, and they are not interdependent. In any given year we can look at team A who lost to team B who lost to team C who lost to team D who lost to team A. None of that is relevant.

Not sure I'm following. Not sure I want to.

I'll make this easy.

It's illogical to "daisy-chain" games. The results are what they are, and they are not interdependent. In any given year we can look at team A who lost to team B who lost to team C who lost to team D who lost to team A. None of that is relevant.

Sure I can agree with that. Soo.... it's a bad look for the West champion to lose to Michigan State. But i guess it happens.

Sure I can agree with that. Soo.... it's a bad look for the West champion to lose to Michigan State. But i guess it happens.

It's not a "bad look" at all.

Division Champions don't need to have a "good look". They just need to win the division.

It isn't a beauty contest. Just win your division. Nobody checks your conference card for "Miss Congeniality", "Best Dressed", "Best wins", "Worst Wins", or any other such nonsense.

Nor do they check for the absolutely worst record in the history of college football... (if said program happens to make it)

THIS.

Yes, IU has a solid team.

It also took UM and PSU to have their worst teams in generations. OSU is another story. As it turns out, OSU is the only team in the East worth a d@mn.

And, once again, nobody IU has beaten sits with a winning record. Yet, Allen is some coaching genius.

o_O

Truth be told, IU has also benefited from no fans in the stands ... which gives them the feel of every game a home game.

It's a shame for them. IU had the chance to back into their first B1G title in decades.
They beat teams that suck but hey they won. I'm a Purdue fan but I'll admit purdue crapped in there pants this season.

Ohio state is going to the bt title

True.
Now, let’s say that Purdue or IU was in the position of OSU. Perfect season. 3 cancellations and the team behind them is OSU, having lost to Purdue.

What do you think happens?

If you say anything other than “hold them to the 6 game rule,” you would be full of shit!

True.
Now, let’s say that Purdue or IU was in the position of OSU. Perfect season. 3 cancellations and the team behind them is OSU, having lost to Purdue.

What do you think happens?

If you say anything other than “hold them to the 6 game rule,” you would be full of shit!
IU didn’t beat OSU, and hasn’t in forever, so it’s a moot point.

If they're just going to change the rules on the fly, why not let the two best teams in the Big Ten play in the championship game, those being IU and OSU?

• Haha
If they're just going to change the rules on the fly, why not let the two best teams in the Big Ten play in the championship game, those being IU and OSU?

Last I checked, Northwestern only has one loss too, so you could say they are letting the two best teams play.

OSU beat IU. All of OSUs cancelled games were their opponents doing. OSU is in 1st place in the B1G East.

OSU deserves it.

The B1G made the 6 game rule prior to the COVID season. In the end, it wasn't a good rule, and they did away with it.

Perhaps it was never a good rule. But it’s not a good look to change the rules just because you don’t like the results.

Imagine playing a board game that way.

OSU deserves it.

To me it’s bs. I’d be enraged if we were in IUs position .. you make a rule going in and that’s the rule. You don’t change it for one of your two SEC members (the other being Nebraska)

Perhaps it was never a good rule. But it’s not a good look to change the rules just because you don’t like the results.

Imagine playing a board game that way.

I agree it appears they only did it to appease OSU.

However, that shouldn't matter. It was a bad rule, and it was the right move to get rid of it.

To me it’s bs. I’d be enraged if we were in IUs position .. you make a rule going in and that’s the rule. You don’t change it for one of your two SEC members (the other being Nebraska)

I disagree.

It was a bad rule that was made prior to a messed up season. The conference did the right thing by changing it.

I disagree.

It was a bad rule that was made prior to a messed up season. The conference did the right thing by changing it.
Counterpoint, why wasn’t the rule changed over a month ago when Wisconsin was facing the same issue of not getting to 6 games? It’s not like nobody saw this coming. Why wait until the car is about to hit the wall to apply the brakes? Hit the brakes when you see the wall. Or at least make it public that the rule might need to be revisited. But there was none of that until it was OSU being left out in the cold. It is the right result gone about in an entirely wrong way that casts all sorts of about true motivation and whether the rules would have been changed for a team like Wisconsin or IU or Purdue.

Between this, the 9 games with no bye week setup, the Nebraska snafu, the lack of communications about how the decisions were being made (vote? No vote?) the Big Ten fumbled Covid season beyond belief.

Counterpoint, why wasn’t the rule changed over a month ago when Wisconsin was facing the same issue of not getting to 6 games? It’s not like nobody saw this coming. Why wait until the car is about to hit the wall to apply the brakes? Hit the brakes when you see the wall. Or at least make it public that the rule might need to be revisited. But there was none of that until it was OSU being left out in the cold. It is the right result gone about in an entirely wrong way that casts all sorts of about true motivation and whether the rules would have been changed for a team like Wisconsin or IU or Purdue.

Between this, the 9 games with no bye week setup, the Nebraska snafu, the lack of communications about how the decisions were being made (vote? No vote?) the Big Ten fumbled Covid season beyond belief.

I agree with all of this, except the point about Wisconsin.

At the time I believe it was just too early in the season to make the change. It really was the perfect storm to end up with OSU in the position they were in. It literally came down to the last week of the season. OSU had already beaten the only other team that could play in the B1G CG.

In Wisconsin's case their was still too many variables. As far as we knew then, Wisconsin might only play 2 games all season.

I do believe had OSU not played IU the rule wouldn't have changed. With a head to head win, they had to.

I also believe the rule would have been changed if Wisconsin, or any other team, was in the same position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT