ADVERTISEMENT

Berg?

PurduePete

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2008
Wondering if Painter may regret offering Berg.

He may turn out to be a phenomenal center but hear me out.

It’s impossible to turn the recruiting ship in a different direction quickly (ignoring transfer portal). Relationships start 3 to 5 years ahead and comimitments are of then 18 to 24 months ahead of graduation.

I feel like Painter thought he found something with the early success of Big Man U … AJ, Haas, Haarms etc. I think he thought that if he could just get slightly bigger or better bigs he would be able to leverage the mismatches …. And it has worked. But it has obviously had its limitations (kinda feels like Tillers Basketball on Grass where it took a little while for the B1G to adapt).

But Painter is constantly learning (not as fas as some of us would like) and I think that he has realized that you can’t have a slow big clogging the lane AND a JI or Carsen that can get to the rim.

With DGL, Colvin and the potential of Lewellwn and Pack it seems like we are building a team that can run …. FAST!

Furst seems to be a better fit to support this style then Berg. Again I’m not commenting on Bergs ability other than the ability to transition quickly and support the blazing speed of the rest of the puzzle pieces.

It probably doesn’t matter because we’ve always had a big sitting deep on the bench over the years and if my theory is correct Berg can simply do that but it feels like we are transitioning from a methodical get it inside to the mismatch team to a blow by you and finish at the rim type of team.

thoughts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.