ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Stuff

lolyoyo6

Senior
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Here are 3 lists of historical data on teams being ranked in the AP polls at the end of a season (sure not perfectly accurate, but at least a historical representation as to how good teams should compete in an NCAA tournament). What I want to see is why people think we should constantly be making Elite 8's at minimum and Final Fours with more regularity, because looking at this historical data doesn't appear to show that Purdue deserves to be there with any regularity.

1949-Present
1. North Carolina
2. Kentucky
3. Duke
4. Kansas
5. UCLA
6. Louisville
7. Syracuse
8. Indiana
9. Arizona
10. Illinois
spacer.gif

11. Georgetown
12. Michigan State
spacer.gif

13. Cincinnati
14. Ohio State
15. Michigan
16. Maryland
17. Marquette
18. Notre Dame
19. North Carolina State
20. Connecticut
21. Oklahoma
22. Iowa
23. Villanova
24. Purdue
25. Memphis

1980-2005 Keady
20. Purdue
2006-2015 Painter
26. Purdue

What I am seeing is that Keady was 4 spots better than Purdue historically, and Painter is 2 spots behind what Purdue historically ranks at to end a season.

Matt Painter is not an elite coach, but he is right in line with what Purdue historically is in Men's Basketball. Wanting and wishing for more is all good, but historically Painter is proving to be just as good as the other coaches that Purdue has had, and I believe he is doing it in an even harder environment than past coaches (more TV for more programs to get more exposure, shoe companies more involved steering players, more coaches willing to step into "gray areas," etc).

We have a top 25ish coach at a historically bottom tier top 25 school. We don't cheat, we make kids go to class, and kids get punished for inappropriate behavior. What is not to like or understand about that? I'm not saying expect mediocrity (being top 25 is not mediocre), but to expect greatness when so many other teams cheat and have history on their side is a little too much to wish for.

I would love for Purdue to make an elite 8 or final four, but there are lots of other teams that play in the NCAA that are trying just as hard as we are to get there. History shows we are good enough to get there, we just aren't likely to do it all that often. Matt Painter can lead us there just as well as most other coaches that would coach here can and have in the past, too.

Stop killing this forum with your constant negative agendas! Sorry for a bit of rambling...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News