ADVERTISEMENT

Bad call on goal tend

Nov 1, 2001
Valentine made a bad call on the goal tend. The ball was on an upward flight and not within the cylinder. Terrible call in that situation. Also, according to the NCAA rules a player may touch the rim as long as the ball is not "on or within the basket" so Hammons touching the rim on his way up is also not goal tending.

Valentine made a bad call on the goal tend. The ball was on an upward flight and not within the cylinder. Terrible call in that situation. Also, according to the NCAA rules a player may touch the rim as long as the ball is not "on or within the basket" so Hammons touching the rim on his way up is also not goal tending.
I need someone to interview Ted to get his side. Might be something that they should add to being reviewable. But right or wrong, team showed up too late. Similar to the Butler game.

All Valentine would say is, that "I only blow the whistle whenever the home crowd tells me too!" It's too bad all the attention is being given to the questionable call, but the fact is turnovers and missed free throws cost Purdue the game.

Reactions: tjreese
All Valentine would say is, that "I only blow the whistle whenever the home crowd tells me too!" It's too bad all the attention is being given to the questionable call, but the fact is turnovers and missed free throws cost Purdue the game.
That's because the call did cost us the game or was partly responsible for us not getting the ball back to tie or take the lead. SO yea, it contributed to what was a magnificent comeback and we would have taken that last 3 and iced it in the veins of every dastardly IU fan present. They would have needed aortic valve surgery to fix the lethargic flow of blood to the heart.

Last edited:
Valentine and Hightower has screwed Purdue many a game for over 20 years. I always expect calls from them like this and don't get surprised when it happens. When he finally retires, I will celebrate hard. Where is Rucker when you need him? He was a reffin' fool.

Looks to me like the block would have lead to a breakout and one of several things likely to happen: A layup to tie the game, a made basket and one for the lead, a foul with 2 shots to tie it, or a miss. 3 of 4 work in our favor but with the blown call we didn't get the chance. People can say it was other things at other points in the game that cost us but the game is 40 minutes. All 40 minutes count.

Looks to me like the block would have lead to a breakout and one of several things likely to happen: A layup to tie the game, a made basket and one for the lead, a foul with 2 shots to tie it, or a miss. 3 of 4 work in our favor but with the blown call we didn't get the chance. People can say it was other things at other points in the game that cost us but the game is 40 minutes. All 40 minutes count.

you are correct about it being a bad call and that it could have made a difference, but it didn't and that is life on the road. people only hear excuses and conjecture as to what might have happened. I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying many don't want to offer that up knowing some calls were in error and in favor or Purdue and If Purdue has a sense of urgency and wins...I think you can say how bad the refs sucked over the game with specifics. However, when you lose you know it is life on the road and winning at IU has never been easy. Your thoughts may have merit with Purdue fans, but not with IU fans or those not really caring.

Once again had the effort been there from the start this discussion wouldn't be needed. My expectations for the balance of the year will be severely managed.

Reactions: mk_peters
you are correct about it being a bad call and that it could have made a difference, but it didn't and that is life on the road. people only hear excuses and conjecture as to what might have happened. I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying many don't want to offer that up knowing some calls were in error and in favor or Purdue and If Purdue has a sense of urgency and wins...I think you can say how bad the refs sucked over the game with specifics. However, when you lose you know it is life on the road and winning at IU has never been easy. Your thoughts may have merit with Purdue fans, but not with IU fans or those not really caring.
How many times does it need to be said, MAKE YOUR FREE THROWS!

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Valentine and Hightower has screwed Purdue many a game for over 20 years. I always expect calls from them like this and don't get surprised when it happens. When he finally retires, I will celebrate hard. Where is Rucker when you need him? He was a reffin' fool.
Rucker who let Knight manhandle him while the game was in progress. I've watched basketball for a long time and Steve Welmer will remain my favorite forever.

Reactions: boiler62
With many of the screw-overs being vs. Indiana because Bobby Knight was a bully. You can ask Lou Henson how much of a bully Bob Knight was. He controlled the refs and everyone knew it. Crean is harmless, he doesn't know how to intimidate the refs. Take the Indiana vs. MSU game, Izzo completely controlled the refs even telling one to "get the _uck away and then telling the other ref (who was trying to calm him down) "_uck him" "_uck him" over and over to the other ref. He should have been T-eed UP, but was not. Indiana lost the refs to Izzo and Indiana got blown the hell out, lol. Gotta love me some Crean (nice guys finish last --- didn't anyone tell him that?) He will NEVER win a championship and you can ask ANY IU fan, and they all know that as well. They wear blinders until the NCAA, then they hide their eyes completely and hope they don't play a good coach (like a Boehieim) or anyone , really.

Rucker who let Knight manhandle him while the game was in progress. I've watched basketball for a long time and Steve Welmer will remain my favorite forever.
..and steve could play some ball as well. thumbs up for Steve

Reactions: Heller
If it's headed for the backboard you can't touch anything shake the goal. It was a good call or players could just pull the rim before the ball hits the board. Have some common sense idiot. That has always been a goaltend. Boilers got asses kicked the whole game. Talk about that instead of blaming officials. You guys are so pathetic.

If it's headed for the backboard you can't touch anything shake the goal. It was a good call or players could just pull the rim before the ball hits the board. Have some common sense idiot. That has always been a goaltend. Boilers got asses kicked the whole game. Talk about that instead of blaming officials. You guys are so pathetic.
You were ahead by two points when IU got the goal tend call. I agree that it wasn't a bad call per se but if IU had lost on a iffy goal tend you guys would be complaining too. Kicking someone's ass means winning by more than four points.

Sadly enough it was the right call. Can't blame one play to lose the game. It starts by coming prepared and READY to play.

You were ahead by two points when IU got the goal tend call. I agree that it wasn't a bad call per se but if IU had lost on a iffy goal tend you guys would be complaining too. Kicking someone's ass means winning by more than four points.
It wasn't a bad call , but it wasn't the correct call according to the rules and verified by the ND game last year. It had nothing to do with Purdue not coming to play hard or the ultimate reason why Purdue loss. If it were able to be reviewed which it can't, it would have been reversed. Again, that is not what concerned me, nor where I think Purdue loss the game. There many plays and calls before that one...

Reactions: Inspector100
Correct, 4 points people. And a bad series of calls. Traveling was not called as they took 3+ steps on that drive where they got fouled. Another travel. A totally bogus Goal-Tending (verified by all the experts including LC. 4 points, and Indiana almost stormed the court. PFFFFFT.

He didn't just touch the rim, he shook both the rim and the backboard when he hit it. That is a goal tend.

He didn't just touch the rim, he shook both the rim and the backboard when he hit it. That is a goal tend.
Inadvertent touching of the rim or backboard is allowed unless the ball is on the way down and the touching would interfere with the flight of the ball. AJ hit the rim long before the ball was in it's downward flight nor had it touched the glass. Since Knight left IU, TV Teddy is in their back pocket.

Inadvertent touching of the rim or backboard is allowed unless the ball is on the way down and the touching would interfere with the flight of the ball. AJ hit the rim long before the ball was in it's downward flight nor had it touched the glass. Since Knight left IU, TV Teddy is in their back pocket.
You are exactly correct and that's been discussed on the IU boards today too. When Hammons hit the ball still on it's way up and it hadn't yet touched the backboard, then touching the rim does not matter or constitute goal tending. It was a clean block! In real time, it looked like it had already hit the backboard and was on it's way down. The play wasn't reviewable unfortunately.

Chances of the following coaches winning a single national championship in their career: Painter 78%, Crean 37%

To put this prediction in perspective, you were also the same poster who predicted IU would have no chance in Saturday's game, and that Purdue would win going away by double digits.

Reactions: plaxico80
Irony, hardly, Chances of the following coaches winning a single national championship in their career: Painter 78%, Crean 37%

I'm no Crean fan, but he went to a Final Four. With Marquette. Please talk about Painter's deep tourney runs and by all means, be specific.

I'm just seriously wondering about what types of psychedelics you're taking before you post.

Knight intimidated Welmer as well. I didn't like that situation.

To put this prediction in perspective, you were also the same poster who predicted IU would have no chance in Saturday's game, and that Purdue would win going away by double digits.
Yes, but that was before we got ripped off by Valentine. At least Purdue didn't meet the same fate as IU by player Valentine. But we had to settle for rip-off artist Valentine to steal away an IU victory from us.

But we had to settle for rip-off artist Valentine to steal away an IU victory from us.

Ted Valentine didn't pile up a 20 point deficit in the 2nd half for you to overcome. That's why Purdue lost. And it was ridiculous for you to insist IU had no chance. Indiana has one of the best home court records against ranked teams over the past few years. Foolish for you to discount them the way you did, and equally foolish to blame it on officiating.

Ted Valentine didn't pile up a 20 point deficit in the 2nd half for you to overcome. That's why Purdue lost. And it was ridiculous for you to insist IU had no chance. Indiana has one of the best home court records against ranked teams over the past few years. Foolish for you to discount them the way you did, and equally foolish to blame it on officiating.
You NEVER had a 20 point margin, just not true. Psychologically it means a lot to not be down 20. you're watching too much TV, while IU might have had a good record vs. ranked teams at Bloomington, they have also HAD TONS OF TERRIBLE LOSSES.... Would you like me to run down all the awful losses IU has suffered to god-awful teams at home in Bloomington? No, I didn't think so, the list is just completely embarrassing for you and your Hoosier brethren.

Correct, 4 points people. And a bad series of calls. Traveling was not called as they took 3+ steps on that drive where they got fouled. Another travel. A totally bogus Goal-Tending (verified by all the experts including LC. 4 points, and Indiana almost stormed the court. PFFFFFT.

Yeah, that would have been pretty pathetic to choke away a 17+ pt lead at home....

Yeah, that would have been pretty pathetic to choke away a 17+ pt lead at home....
Hey Dick, Yea LOL, they almost did, LMFAO. Purdue scored a moral victory and according to many , made IU have that bad taste in their mouths after completely blowing the big lead. In fact, many an IU fan felt that IU actually lost that game afterword, because it's like eating salmon and having that nasty film in your mouth you cant get out until you brush your teeth. Loving it.

Hey Dick, Yea LOL, they almost did, LMFAO. Purdue scored a moral victory and according to many , made IU have that bad taste in their mouths after completely blowing the big lead. In fact, many an IU fan felt that IU actually lost that game afterword, because it's like eating salmon and having that nasty film in your mouth you cant get out until you brush your teeth. Loving it.

Congrats on the moral victory. Perhaps Purdue can use that as a teaching tool going into the remaining 3 games and post season.

Congrats on the moral victory. Perhaps Purdue can use that as a teaching tool going into the remaining 3 games and post season.
We (Purdue) will win out. That's a given. I believe IU will fall to 3 or 4th after choking on their last 3 games, remember IU has TWO road games and they suck on the road something awful, therefore, IU will not only choke its NCAA seeding but its big ten seeding as well. I am just laughing at this and can't wait to watch IU get de-fleeced on Thursday night. I don't pity IU fans at all. Groce vs. Crean = no brainer.....Groce.

I'm no Crean fan, but he went to a Final Four. With Marquette. Please talk about Painter's deep tourney runs and by all means, be specific.

I'm just seriously wondering about what types of psychedelics you're taking before you post.
Everytime I see your handle all I can see is this ;)

Oh, Plax was an idiot to be sure, but you should also post the video of him making the game winning catch in the Super Bowl, and at the same time ending New England's PERFECT SEASON.

That was a beautiful thing to witness (even if I've had this handle since he was drafted by the Steelers.)

Groce vs. Crean = no brainer.....Groce.

Again, that's ironic because while I'm no Crean fan he will continue making his 3.5 million per year and will almost certainly finish top 3 in the conference, while Groce will MOST CERTAINLY be in the unemployment line.

Life is strange, ain't it?

Also, on the Illinois Scout board, they are lamenting an entire 4 year class not going to a single NCAA tournament game during Groce's tenure. I wouldn't crow about Groce being better than anybody at this point in time.

Oh, Plax was an idiot to be sure, but you should also post the video of him making the game winning catch in the Super Bowl, and at the same time ending New England's PERFECT SEASON.

That was a beautiful thing to witness (even if I've had this handle since he was drafted by the Steelers.)
I don't care about his shooting or his catch...I just laughed at the video and so when the names comes up all I can remember is the video. It is nothing more than a funny video and would be funny if the name was Boilerdouche2 or something like the douche of a Boiler...just think it was funny... :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT