ADVERTISEMENT

B1G - SEC Superconference…

IronChefBBQ

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2004
Commissioners are meeting. Absolutely no chance of being included when this eventually leads to a football merger…

Good. Let all the fan bases that think it's worth paying 18 year-olds six figures or more to play football separate from the rest of us.
The real issue is that the lion’s share of our tv revenue comes from conference football rights. Take that way & the Athletic Dept (and any University programs that also use these funds) is in trouble…

The real issue is that the lion’s share of our tv revenue comes from conference football rights. Take that way & the Athletic Dept (and any University programs that also use these funds) is in trouble…
True…but not fully. BIG basketball drives a decent revenue #. Without that, the BIG is not really on equal footing revenue wise with the SEC. If the basketball revenue was not on the table the BIGs negotiating power in any deal here is decreased greatly.

There’s still $$ in Purdue (and other second tier BIg and SEC schools) sports tv revenue. It’s less than the blue bloods for sure b it ask yourself what’s more desirable…the TV rights to the BIG12, ACC or the second tier of 16/18 teams in the BIG and SEC. They could make their own top 16/18 league and the remnants band together and it’s still the second best conference…IMO

I'm ok with that. If college athletics have essentially become minor league sports, public institutions funded by taxpayer dollars really have no place in them anymore.

I'm ok with that. If college athletics have essentially become minor league sports, public institutions funded by taxpayer dollars really have no place in them anymore.
Not sure anyone really knows how this will impact schools long-term (especially non-revenue sports) but I don’t think you’re 100% wrong. All I know is that I’m glad that I got out of coaching years ago and don’t have to deal with this…

Good. Let all the fan bases that think it's worth paying 18 year-olds six figures or more to play football separate from the rest of us.
As I've said, the super conference will be made up of contenders (top half) and wannabees (bottom half). I do NOT want to end up as a permanent whipping boy just for a payout. Purdue has one of the smallest amount of Olympic Sport teams out of any BT school (16?) MBB and non-super conference football can find a way to fund them. You can still have occasional "crossover" games with OSU, Michigan, whoever else ends up there (IMHO, they will be begging for them after a few years) but the majority of games played will be with peer schools...closer to home, more relevant and competitive.

I don't know if the proposed super league was discussed on here. Some group that has the owners of the bengals, and brewers etc and some others that have no control over college football released this last week. They're proposal breaks all conferences into regions with the g5 being 2nd tier that can play up to the group of 72. Seems like this group is throwing out stuff to see what sticks. I'd think the B1G working with the SEC will be more realistic, but could end up with something close to this group of 72.
csfl-power-12-schools.jpg

Commissioners are meeting. Absolutely no chance of being included when this eventually leads to a football merger…
The polar opposite is true. Purdue is virtually guaranteed to be included, as are all other current Big Ten/SEC schools.

The Big Ten and SEC commishes are meeting to stake out autobids for the playoff or other means to get more teams in from their conferences. They also want to keep the M2 and G6 away from their TV money.

Reactions: Thordog
Seems like this group is throwing out stuff to see what sticks. I'd think the B1G working with the SEC will be more realistic, but could end up with something close to this group of 72.
This is a frantic attempt by the M2 and the G6 to get some of that P2 TV money. I assume Greg Sankey and Tony Petitti have enough sense to ignore it.

Not sure anyone really knows how this will impact schools long-term (especially non-revenue sports) but I don’t think you’re 100% wrong. All I know is that I’m glad that I got out of coaching years ago and don’t have to deal with this…
My son just started his college coaching career. Like the military, it is not one I would recommend. Your job is totally dependent on the success of your athletes/students. In a short time he has already had his share of ultimate success and headaches. He’s a track coach and track is also affected by the NIL.

I don't know if the proposed super league was discussed on here. Some group that has the owners of the bengals, and brewers etc and some others that have no control over college football released this last week. They're proposal breaks all conferences into regions with the g5 being 2nd tier that can play up to the group of 72. Seems like this group is throwing out stuff to see what sticks. I'd think the B1G working with the SEC will be more realistic, but could end up with something close to this group of 72.
csfl-power-12-schools.jpg

The sec commissioner has already shot this down and basically said the sec won’t entertain propping up the lower P4 teams.

I could see the SEC and BIG10 becoming two 24 team super conferences. I could also see some juggling of teams happening between the two conferences. I could see the sec allowing Missouri and Texas A&M joining the big 10 while the sec picks up Florida st and Miami. I could see teams from the acc and big 12 filling the remainder of vacancies

The sec commissioner has already shot this down and basically said the sec won’t entertain propping up the lower P4 teams.
I didn't see Sankey's comment. I assumed this group was proposing this from an venture capital position (ie lump sum payout to conference / university in exchange for media rights over a period of time). - I don't think there are any TV execs involved with it though.

This is a frantic attempt by the M2 and the G6 to get some of that P2 TV money. I assume Greg Sankey and Tony Petitti have enough sense to ignore it.

Washington State and Oregon State would love this.

What I don’t see in the development of a super conference is the addition of teams Purdue would be able to beat. The big 10 will add elite teams, not bottom feeders.

This begs the question: would 0purdue fans look forward to a future of always being one of the bottom 4 teams? Or would they prefer to join a lesser conference where their teams could actually compete?

What I don’t see in the development of a super conference is the addition of teams Purdue would be able to beat. The big 10 will add elite teams, not bottom feeders.

This begs the question: would 0purdue fans look forward to a future of always being one of the bottom 4 teams? Or would they prefer to join a lesser conference where their teams could actually compete?
I prefer we get a head coach and get better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT