ADVERTISEMENT

Audige's go ahead 3

gelesen

Sophomore
Feb 5, 2003
He passed the ball, then ran out of bounds on the baseline to the other side of the basket, came back in and received a pass and made the three. When you go out of bounds you can not be the first player to touch the ball. Shot should not have counted although they never call this. Rutgers beat OSU that way on a last second shot. Later the B1G admitted the shot should not have counted.

He passed the ball, then ran out of bounds on the baseline to the other side of the basket, came back in and received a pass and made the three. When you go out of bounds you can not be the first player to touch the ball. Shot should not have counted although they never call this. Rutgers beat OSU that way on a last second shot. Later the B1G admitted the shot should not have counted.
This isn’t football.

You can absolutely touch the ball again, just have to establish yourself in bounds.

Not the rule if he went out of bounds on purpose to gain an advantage, aka not a basketball play or not forced out.

If that were the case, then I think that used to be a technical foul - not 100% sure when they changed that rule - but IIRC, it could still be a violation if you then receive a pass after voluntarily leaving the court.

The NCAA rule explains a player who merely steps out of bounds has not committed a violation unless that player is the first player to touch the ball after returning to the court....also
Ohio State guard Tanner Holden hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to help the Buckeyes defeat Rutgers, 67-66, Thursday night. There’s just one problem: according to the Big Ten Conference, Holden’s shot should not have counted. The league issued a statement Friday admitting the officials should have stopped play before the game-winning shot occurred.

“During regulation play, an OSU student-athlete passed the ball to a teammate who had drifted out of bounds and returned to the court to complete the game-winning shot,” the statement read. “The action of stepping out of bounds and being the first player to touch the ball after returning inbounds constituted a violation of NCAA Rule 9, Section 3, Article 1. The play should have been stopped, and the ball ruled dead.”

I was more concerned with the blatant moving screen that wasn't called

Is the Big Ten going to issue a statement? It wasn’t a game winner, but a gigantic play near the end and certainly would have changed what happened afterwards. Maybe NW would have lost their composure after the basket is taken away and fallen apart.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Fouls like moving screens and touch fouls are judgement calls that officials can hide behind, but that out of bounds play is a clear cut violation. He either did it or didn’t. Not even contact from a Purdue player to argue he was forced out.

I'm guessing this happens a lot through the course of the game...kind a like how players constantly have a step inbounds when inbounding the ball.

Last edited:
This isn’t football.

You can absolutely touch the ball again, just have to establish yourself in bounds.
Incorrect.

The OP is correct. You can't be the first to touch the ball after you've gone out of bounds on your own. We've benefited from this call a handful of times over the years but it hardly ever actually gets called. I remember a game against NC State about 7-8 years ago that we may not have won without the call. I don't remember the situation yesterday.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT