ADVERTISEMENT

Atmosphere today/night in Phoenix

Mar 12, 2016
Been hearing mixed reports about the fan composition for the upcoming NC State game at the stadium. While it's anticipated that Purdue fans will make up a significant portion, (1/2 to 2/3 is what I’m hearing) there's also talk that the atmosphere will be evenly matched.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the potential presence and enthusiasm of UConn/Alabama fans. From my experience, opposing fans, even when rooting against a neutral team, tend to be less vocal compared to cheering for their own team. Do you think this will hold true for the game?

Been hearing mixed reports about the fan composition for the upcoming NC State game at the stadium. While it's anticipated that Purdue fans will make up a significant portion, (1/2 to 2/3 is what I’m hearing) there's also talk that the atmosphere will be evenly matched.

I'm curious about your thoughts on the potential presence and enthusiasm of UConn/Alabama fans. From my experience, opposing fans, even when rooting against a neutral team, tend to be less vocal compared to cheering for their own team. Do you think this will hold true for the game?
I'm guessing it will be like a slight road game.
I would be surprised if we had 1/2 to 2/3. Probably closer to 40-60?

But whatever the percentage, clearly there will be enough Purdue fans to keep it from being a negative crowd.

My experience at two final fours is the second game fans cheer for the underdog, but not as vociferously as the fans of the teams playing.

Reactions: tjreese

Since UConn and Arizona both think they will win they will be for NCS mostly, but I doubt they are very vocal

Reactions: DrEss
It certainly seems like Purdue overwhelmed the entire stadium inside and out. NC State had a very good showing inside the stadium. The entire upper levels were 80%+ Purdue. UConn and Alabama did not have a strong presence. Noise-wise, Purdue again overwhelmed. It’s just sometimes tough to tell with the noise echoes in the dome. It starts with a dull roar and then gets loud.

Will be interesting to see how the crowd changes for Monday. Will more Boilermakers travel in? It seems like they are all already here. Huskies? It certainly seems like there should be more UConn folks here.

Reactions: rgarlitz
It certainly seems like Purdue overwhelmed the entire stadium inside and out. NC State had a very good showing inside the stadium. The entire upper levels were 80%+ Purdue. UConn and Alabama did not have a strong presence. Noise-wise, Purdue again overwhelmed. It’s just sometimes tough to tell with the noise echoes in the dome. It starts with a dull roar and then gets loud.

Will be interesting to see how the crowd changes for Monday. Will more Boilermakers travel in? It seems like they are all already here. Huskies? It certainly seems like there should be more UConn folks here.
Pretty sure NC State has similar enrollment size to Purdue at least for the main campus. Not sure about satellite campuses. They don't have much success in major sports, so when something big like this happens, they can show up big in numbers.

One person I know texted me after the game and said they booked a flight for today to go to the game. So at least there will be one more fan there Monday night!

Hoping UCONN fans have championship fatigue and don't want to shell out twice in two years to go cross country.

Matters not on the quantity but quality of Purdue fans thst show. They were loud on TV and I expect they will be louder on Monday.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
We were at the game last night and Purdue probably had about 50% of the fans there. NC State was second, UConn third. Neither UConn nor NC State filled their student sections.

One thing to keep in mind is the lower area is split four ways between the teams, so those sections look even but outside of that it was about 70% Purdue.

Anyone walking around the area would be impressed with the Purdue fans.

We were at the game last night and Purdue probably had about 50% of the fans there. NC State was second, UConn third. Neither UConn nor NC State filled their student sections.

One thing to keep in mind is the lower area is split four ways between the teams, so those sections look even but outside of that it was about 70% Purdue.

Anyone walking around the area would be impressed with the Purdue fans.
I was there also and agree with this.

Reactions: dumpsterFyre
The line outside for our student section before the game was twice as long as NCSU's. Pre-game excitement was 10 to 1 Purdue outside at the festivities and inside the arena. Let Go Boilers chants were still filling the concourse even after the 2nd game started

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT