ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon mag hit shelves today...

mreman1220

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2007
They are predicting last place in west division with a 3-9 (1-7) record with Bentley, Frankie and Griggs on 3rd Big Ten team.

Other odd notes I gleaned from magazine:
  • The depth chart shows no signs of TEs but has two RB positions. Markell and Green starting and Knox and Yancey as back ups.
  • They have Monteroso starting and Gregory Phillips not on the two deep.
  • Frankie is listed as a Safety and Clark a CB but they do imply that Frankie would switch to Safety. Has some merit, to be honest, as having two unproven Safeties as your last defense is worrisome.
When I look at this season I can only comfortably say 2 wins. I keep wanting to say 3 or 4 but Bowling Green and Marshall (in Huntington) are going to be better than WMU and CMU were last year. IU and Illinois are at home but Illinois finished pretty strong last year and IU's offense is easily going to be the best unit on the field in that game.

The skill positions just have too many questions, all of which should have been answered last year. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Blough play before the Big Ten season kicks off. If he can get within a zip code of receivers down field he will have a head up on Appleby and Etling. We might see some competitive football if this happens as opposing coaches try to figure out how to defend him like they did early against Appleby last year. He also may add an x factor with his ability to run. The OL is going to be good enough to get the QB some time and the backs some room to run. I wish we just had one speed back. Maybe Markell can be that but we shall see.

The defense should be pretty good really and if the offense can stay on the field it might be good enough to surprise someone this year. I love this front 7. I know there are questions about Gelen and him not focusing 100% on football but he appears to just be a competitor as he played well against good competition. Sack against ND was a great play. If Panfil isn't good enough to be an edge rusher the coaches can bounce Replogle outside and have Watson and Howard in the middle and have an effective DL. So long as the LBs stay healthy they should be very good as they are all strong and/or athletic. We know what Frankie can do but Brown showed flashes of being a great CB after being a mediocre Safety.

Overall I think this team is still a year away from being any good (Kind of excited to see just how good the front 7 will be in 2016). I think Hazell will have till then to prove himself as I believe Shoop will be the fall man if this team flops hard again. This is a tougher schedule and if we see a special year from a QB everything will change. I was telling a buddy that if a QB somehow manages to have a team MVP season (not necessarily All Big-Ten) this team could win 8 games. As that would mean him beating out odds on favorite Kulger for the recognition which would take a very special season.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerMadness
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News