ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Article about Painter

ChoiceBeef

All-American
Feb 19, 2017
Reactions: ChuckJr and BBG
https://theathletic.com/801442/2019...ol-approach-and-has-the-boilermakers-rolling/

I signed up for the free 7 day subscription.

Painter is an insightful guy and admits his recruiting limitations.

Gene had this to say “It’s a great place to live; I love it there, but it’s hard to recruit there. I always thought Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and Purdue were a lot alike. Including the (team) colors.’’
Rather eye opening article and puts things in perspective. Those that wonder about recruiting need to read it I think.

https://theathletic.com/801442/2019...ol-approach-and-has-the-boilermakers-rolling/

I signed up for the free 7 day subscription.

Painter is an insightful guy and admits his recruiting limitations.

Gene had this to say “It’s a great place to live; I love it there, but it’s hard to recruit there. I always thought Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and Purdue were a lot alike. Including the (team) colors.’’

I think the "IU moves the needle; Purdue ... not so much." quote is perpetuated by the fact that there ARE a lot of stupid Purdue fans that pay too much attention to IU. They'll read those crappy Indy Star articles about IU and Romeo and then complain. Howabout just don't pay attention to IU other than the couple of times a year that we play?

Purdue fans also seem less likely to be homers that pressure writers and show up to signing ceremonies.

That and the fact that Walmart fans are uninformed...from the comment section, "Indiana has finished ranked in the final AP Poll 3 of the last 17 years. Purdue has done that in 7 of the last 12."

Kravitz tweeted …
This isn’t in the column that will be posted in @TheAthleticIND shortly, but Gene Keady was telling me how Matt Painter went home during his freshman year and said he was done playing for such a demanding coach. Painter’s dad told him to get tough and get his ass back to school.

Last edited:
Holder had a Tweet that he said he didn’t put in the article. I guess Painter’s freshman year he went home and said he wasn’t going back to Purdue because he couldn’t take the hard coaching. Holder said Painter’s dad told him to dry it up and get his ass back to Purdue.
HA! LOL!

People talk about many reasons as to why we don't get the top recruits. To me it has nothing to do with being "sexy". The biggest reason is negative recruiting towards Purdue by iu fans imo. I still think we should be recruiting at a higher level though.

Kravitz tweeted …
This isn’t in the column that will be posted in @TheAthleticIND shortly, but Gene Keady was telling me how Matt Painter went home during his freshman year and said he was done playing for such a demanding coach. Painter’s dad told him to get tough and get his ass back to school.
We should be very grateful for Mr. Painter!

People talk about many reasons as to why we don't get the top recruits. To me it has nothing to do with being "sexy". The biggest reason is negative recruiting towards Purdue by iu fans imo. I still think we should be recruiting at a higher level though.

Being 2 hours outside of Chicago we should be able to recruit there much better. I understand its tough to get top Indiana talent some times as 75% of the state grows up IU fans. As an Ohio native I never had that issue.

But players like Carsen who is from Texas shows we can recruit outside the state and maybe need to find a better assistant who focuses on recruiting. The track record is there. Painter puts tons of players outside the top 60 into the NBA. No they aren't stars, and getting a star to Purdue will be tough, but we should be able to get 2 or 3 four star players every year.

Being 2 hours outside of Chicago we should be able to recruit there much better. I understand its tough to get top Indiana talent some times as 75% of the state grows up IU fans. As an Ohio native I never had that issue.

But players like Carsen who is from Texas shows we can recruit outside the state and maybe need to find a better assistant who focuses on recruiting. The track record is there. Painter puts tons of players outside the top 60 into the NBA. No they aren't stars, and getting a star to Purdue will be tough, but we should be able to get 2 or 3 four star players every year.
Was thinking the same as you regarding out of state players. They don't grow up having a negative bias drilled in their heads like majority of indiana kids do. Haas, carsen, vince, Williams, dowuana are some of the higher rated recruits we've gotten recently. All out of state kids. Obviously still need to focus on indiana, but out of state needs to be a priority as Well, which i think it has been. It is nice to see a class of all indiana kids in 2019, with both Gillis and newman top 150.

Problem is the best players are usually from Chicago and play in the public school league and the corruption is intense.

If you aren’t willing to hookup the entire family and crew you have no shot. Painter has been open about not dealing with handlers.

ChoiceBeef, I think you are correct about Painter not being wiling to deal with handlers, but I also think there are a couple of other factors that play a role in recruiting athletes to Purdue.
The first of these is that, quite aside from admission requirements (which are pretty much the same across the public institutions in the Big Ten), are the expectations for academic performance once you get here. My colleagues and I in the Purdue professoriate cut no slack for anybody, regardless of his or her athletic standing. Several years ago I had a men's basketball player who, the previous season had been All-Big Ten. The fellow got a "D" in my class. I'm in my fourth decade as a faculty member at Purdue, and I've never encountered a colleague who would entertain the thought of setting a lower bar for an athlete.
The second factor is one that I've come to realize relatively recently. I think prospective recruits know that if you are going to play men's basketball at Purdue you are going to have to be physically and mentally tough. Think of Haarms a couple of games ago laying on the floor, clutching his knee in pain; Painter didn't even look at him. Last game, Eastern collides with an opponent and is on the floor; he continues playing. Kramer, Lewis Jackson, and on and on, enough said. The upshot of this is that there are some potential recruits who have no interest in Purdue from the get-go because they know they just aren't that tough (or are afraid of finding out that they're just not that tough, or of being exposed for not being that tough).
Having said all that, I think that Painter recruits quite well, as our current roster makes clear.

ChoiceBeef, I think you are correct about Painter not being wiling to deal with handlers, but I also think there are a couple of other factors that play a role in recruiting athletes to Purdue.
The first of these is that, quite aside from admission requirements (which are pretty much the same across the public institutions in the Big Ten), are the expectations for academic performance once you get here. My colleagues and I in the Purdue professoriate cut no slack for anybody, regardless of his or her athletic standing. Several years ago I had a men's basketball player who, the previous season had been All-Big Ten. The fellow got a "D" in my class. I'm in my fourth decade as a faculty member at Purdue, and I've never encountered a colleague who would entertain the thought of setting a lower bar for an athlete.
The second factor is one that I've come to realize relatively recently. I think prospective recruits know that if you are going to play men's basketball at Purdue you are going to have to be physically and mentally tough. Think of Haarms a couple of games ago laying on the floor, clutching his knee in pain; Painter didn't even look at him. Last game, Eastern collides with an opponent and is on the floor; he continues playing. Kramer, Lewis Jackson, and on and on, enough said. The upshot of this is that there are some potential recruits who have no interest in Purdue from the get-go because they know they just aren't that tough (or are afraid of finding out that they're just not that tough, or of being exposed for not being that tough).
Having said all that, I think that Painter recruits quite well, as our current roster makes clear.

When I was there in the 90's I knew some players that cheated for sure, as I was friends with several basketball players. But I agree Painter runs a very clean program and should be proud of that.

The academic stuff probably isn't that significant of a hurdle. Swanigan was mostly taking online classes supposedly. If someone wanted to come to Purdue, they can get by pretty easily if they really want.

Reactions: speakezee
The academic stuff probably isn't that significant of a hurdle. Swanigan was mostly taking online classes supposedly. If someone wanted to come to Purdue, they can get by pretty easily if they really want.
Not if they wanted a degree. But I agree if the athlete couldn’t care less about actually graduating they could do the bare minimum to stay eligible.

I think you are correct, but we also have the stigma of tough classes as well .

The recruits spend time with the players - they can speak to it themselves. I don't think a "stigma" is what's holding anything back.

Not if they wanted a degree. But I agree if the athlete couldn’t care less about actually graduating they could do the bare minimum to stay eligible.

I say this as a Purdue alum myself, but if you want a "real degree" at Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, etc. - it's not significantly different. Those schools are all ranked ahead of Purdue. If you want to coast and do the bare minimum, there's an easy major for everyone at any public university. And a non-4 year player can take online classes.

I say this as a Purdue alum myself, but if you want a "real degree" at Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, etc. - it's not significantly different. Those schools are all ranked ahead of Purdue. If you want to coast and do the bare minimum, there's an easy major for everyone at any public university. And a non-4 year player can take online classes.
I’m not sure I claimed it was different than any other peer institution. Just that OLS, which seems to be the preferred athletic major, isn’t a complete cakewalk. Sure it’s not what most of us majored in but I knew enough people in that school to know it requires effort, particularly if you weren’t engineering material to begin with.

Reactions: Purdue85
While it would be nice to get top 50 recruits more often, Painter is a proven winner and I'm glad he's here. And don't start whining about Final Fours to me. Only 4 each year make it and a lot of luck is involved as well. Painter is a hell of a coach.
And as for the top end 5 star guys, you can almost guarantee they don't give a crap about sanctions and investigations.

I’ve been a Purdue Prof since the mid 80s and a season ticket holder since then too. I’ve had several high profile athletes in a large lecture class over that time period and have never treated them any differently than other students. If I had dared to do so,my TAs would have taken me to task— as I would have done to them if they had given preferential treatment. I also agree totally on your comments on physical toughness at Purdue. They areright on the mark. Thecword is out and has been out for a long time. If younplayfor Purdue, you better be as tough as nails in every way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT