ADVERTISEMENT

Amateur's take on Football practice on Tuesday

Dandelion1972

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2002
West Lafayette
Better late than never. Watching the grandsons . . . . .

The fact that we can even get in to see practice is a great thing, so this is not meant to be negative. Spectators are allowed in 5 areas, but each is quite a distance if the team is at the other end of the field. Getting from one area to the other can be time-consuming and takes some effort. If it takes 5 minutes to get to the other end of the field and then the team returns to the area that a spectator just vacated, it becomes a “doh!” moment. Not sure how many other teams allows spectators to view practice, so I will say it another way, “I’m thankful to get in and observe Purdue football practices!” But it does make it harder to give much insight into what goes on in practice.

Fakasiieiki (“I need a consonant Vanna, no more vowels!”) was in one of those carts like Blough pushed around a couple years ago. Many players/people came up to him to encourage.

So here goes, sometimes the observations are made from over 75 yards away, so excuse wrong numbers, errors please.

During one passing drill, the defenders were 1 Mackey, 6 Jalen, 10 Allen, 47 Marks, 20 Brothers, 23 Corey

In 7 on 7, the defenders were 23 Trice, 21 Kane, 20 Brothers , 43 Douglas, 10 Allen, 1 Mackey, 29 Smith

After practice a bunch of kids hang around near the team ‘rest area – refreshment area’. Almost all the players will come over and sign/chat, however you can tell there are some players with obligations who skirt the area. The players are friendly and will chat for a couple of minutes. Even a couple of coaches have stopped by. One kid will a football the size of a grapefruit has MANY autographs on it, some repeats, I’m sure.

Some of the pass plays during scrimmage:

16 Aidan – 3 ! Out pattern

16 Aidan – 81 Sullivan over the middle

16 Aidan - 0 Wright TD flag pattern (was wearing red jersey in an earlier practice)

11 on 11

12 Burton to 87 Durham - leaping catch – outstanding

#1Mackey nice break up on #2 Yaseen

12 Burton to 2 Yaseen - nice pitch and catch

#1 Alaimo to 18 Burks – great adjustment and catch

3 defenders break through against Alaimo – yikes

13 Jack to jackson over the middle

27 Rompf – nice breakup

13 Jack to 22 King - naked pitchout left against a charging Karlaftis (for about 20 yards)

43 Douglas stuffs 28 Ja’Quez up the middle

10 Allen drops a sure INT and long run-back

13 Jack to David - TD right side of endzone (how does David get open by 4 yards?)

38 Downing - Flare TD to right side of field

85 Maxwell - WR sweep left

On Monday, Coach Hagen got stone cold hit in the forehead on a line drive field goal. They attended to him for 10-15 minutes but Hagen never went down. He seemed to be OK today. He chewed out George for a couple of minutes about not ‘walking through the drills’.

Kicking

24 Fineran 35 yard - G

39 Freehill 35 yard - G

24 Fineran 35 yard – G

84 Dellinger 35 yard - G

KO

57 Van Eekeren – many short of goal line, a couple were into the end zone

24 Fineran into end zone

Dis and Dat

QB throws across width of field. Walk-ons plus one scholarship player struggle getting it that far. Others are quite comfortable.

Running plays – hard to see at ground level. Overall, the defense looks ahead of offense. Downing #38 looks quite big for a freshman.

Speaking of big, Corey Trice seems quite big for his position.

69 Long 75 Holstege 53 Hartwig 68 Craig 74 Miller

59 Monnet 54 Kaltenburger 79 Bycznski 65 Alstott-VanDeVanter 71 Fox

We have a stable of receivers! If our other positions were like that . . . . . lookout.

David Bell is a gentleman! Many others are too, I couldn’t list them all. Maybe I shouldn’t have started.

Jackson, could we get him to stay another year? (that would make 6 years, I think).

You have been spoiling us with these reports.I appreciate your great work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT