ADVERTISEMENT

Also my first trip to IU and Assembly Hall

Corrock3148

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2018
Saw someone else post about their first time (giggity) and felt like sharing my opinion.

Campus
I agree that IU definitely got lucky with all the nature and trees they have in the middle of the campus. Especially liked the area where they have this small little creeks and bridges. I can only imagine how nice that area must be in the spring. Obviously the limestone buildings is a thing there and I'm of the opinion Limestone looks really good but only when it is clean and it gets dirty fast so some buildings didn't look great but there are still some pretty awesome buildings both old and new. Their campus seems really stretched out and I only walked around part of the academic campus with my friend. I think the amount of time we walked we could've seen all of Purdue. Buildings in general are much smaller and more spread apart. They do have one fountain which is neat looking. Was very unimpressed by those gates that people post pictures of, they look much bigger in pictures.

Assembly Hall
Ass Hall and Memorial Stadium are a part of an athletics area similar to Purdue but a bit more removed from Campus so that kind of sucks IMO. From an architecture stand point the building is beautiful on the outside and definitely seems like it was built from the outside-in resulting in those weird walls on the end lines and weird ceilings. The "viewing bowl" is definitely a unique one and almost feels more like an auditorium mirrored along the end lines with a basketball court in the middle. People have talked about how steep Ass Hall is an they weren't kidding. I snuck with a student ticket and got there late so I was stuck on the upper balcony where we had to climb 7 FLIGHTS OF STAIRS. I get it that it is a student area but that just absolutely sucks. They have chairbacks which is really nice compared to bleacher seating. I got a picture from one of the other guys that writes at ISC who was covering the game as media and the media section is in the last rows of the lower section and you can quite literally only see the court and you're prolly 7 stories up too so you're very far from the court. As for the jumbotron, the screens themselves are very nice but there's no team stats anywhere on them, only basic stats for players in the game. Overall I'd say it is a very unique stadium but the amount of bad seats is pretty astounding and the best part about it is the architecture and the chairbacks.

Side note: went to the Louisville-Duke game at the Yum Center last week. Quite literally just a big professional arena. The nosebleeds are the highest I've ever been in a stadium. Game and arena don't even feel like college. The fans don't even all stand up for their fight song it was a very strange experience. Minimum student section too, i'd say maybe 500-1k students there max. Assembly Hall is a much better college basketball arena and environment than the Yum Center and look how not good I thought Ass Hall was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News