ADVERTISEMENT

Allen VS Brohm

Or the difference in the out of conference difficulty?

I know BC, Mizz and Louisville compare favorably to Ball State, FIU and Virgina

HarmoniousInnocentIndri-small.gif

I am confident that one would be hard-pressed to find a fanbase (including the honest IU segment) that would prefer Allen over Brohm, given a choice between the two. Utter denial is the only thing that makes this this comparison possible.
One coach was handed a team full of experience (8 returning defensive starters) coming off back-to-back bowls - for the first time in 25+ seasons - and failed to reach the post season twice. The other inherited a team coming off the worst 4 year stretch in program history and turned the program around instantly, including 2 bowl trips. BTW, he’s also 2-0 in head-to-head meetings.
The current feather in Allen’s cap is “the best recruiting class in program history”, which was ranked 39th by Rivals. FWIW, Wilson had back-to-back classes each finish 38th.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I guess I'm wondering why they closed the thread. I mean yeah it's pretty non-sensical, but I've certainly seen worse!

I take it that Allen was a former high school coach. Even the coach of repeatedly the best high school football team in the US has had a hard time when transitioning across town to coach the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. I guess it's a lot easier to get high school players to come from all over the country to play for you because of your success, but on the college level there are plenty of excellent coaches and successful teams, so the players are hard to attract, especially at a college program that has had little success. Few of the top high school players stay in town to play at the college level. Why should they, when they can go to almost any program they want in the US.

So it's hard transitioning from a high school coach to a major college team. Brohm was a very successful college coach before coming to Purdue, and he has used his savvy to remain in the national limelight to attract attention to Purdue and his program. We're fortunate to have him.

I love how they mentioned Brohm making $6 million when his average annual salary isn’t even $5 mil haha

Reactions: Purdue85
I take it that Allen was a former high school coach. Even the coach of repeatedly the best high school football team in the US has had a hard time when transitioning across town to coach the University of Nevada-Las Vegas. I guess it's a lot easier to get high school players to come from all over the country to play for you because of your success, but on the college level there are plenty of excellent coaches and successful teams, so the players are hard to attract, especially at a college program that has had little success. Few of the top high school players stay in town to play at the college level. Why should they, when they can go to almost any program they want in the US.

So it's hard transitioning from a high school coach to a major college team. Brohm was a very successful college coach before coming to Purdue, and he has used his savvy to remain in the national limelight to attract attention to Purdue and his program. We're fortunate to have him.
See Gerry Faust. Mega failure.

A ridiculous discussion on the merits. Many Hall of Fame coaches had their beginnings at the high school level. The Bloomington coach has been coaching at the intercollegiate level a dozen years. Jack Mollenkopf was a long time high school coach in Ohio who was a college coach eight years before becoming head coach at Purdue where he still holds the record for the longest tenure as a head coach in Purdue football history.

Reactions: 1ndyBoiler
Not knowing his history and being out of the country for 23 years before returning 6 years ago, I thought from comments on this board that he was hired directly from high school, like the current UNLV coach. Most coaches work their way up, not start at the top of a high school program and then directly become a coach at a large D1 school. I think that they then may lack some necessary skills learned at a lower college level.

Allen was head coach of one of the top programs in the state and they did not do very well by their standards while he was their coach. To think that he is a college head coach at a P5 school is mind blowing. Both of the IU football fans I know are disgusted with how he was handed that job without an open search.

Allen was head coach of one of the top programs in the state and they did not do very well by their standards while he was their coach. To think that he is a college head coach at a P5 school is mind blowing. Both of the IU football fans I know are disgusted with how he was handed that job without an open search.
But Brohm really wanted the IU job. Why they didn't interview him is a mystery.......

Reactions: Purdue85
But Brohm really wanted the IU job. Why they didn't interview him is a mystery.......
I heard that the only day Brohm was available for an interview happened to be the same day everyone was already tied up taking Mrs. Donovan around Bloomington to look at homes. Tough break all around.

Reactions: SIBoiler2
Got banned over there for trying to post this in response to their original thread

“Before I start I want to get this out of the way. Yes I’m a Purdue fan posting on an IU forum about Purdue. It’s May and there is literally nothing going on so I might as well be checking in here too to see what IU is up to recruiting and otherwise. I’ll “go back home” after I post this and I won’t go all crazy with my post.

With that being said I want to sum up your stats in an easy to understand way.

Overall Record

CTA: .417

$6M: .500

Edge Brohm

Big Ten Record

CTA: .222. .167 VS West. .250 VS East

$6M: .500 .500 VS West. .500 VS East

Edge Brohm

Non-Conference

CTA: 1.000, 1.000 vs P5

$6M: .500, .500 vs P5

Edge Allen

P5 OOC opponents

CTA: Virginia 2x

Brohm: Louisville, Missouri 2x, Arizona, Boston College, Auburn

Edge Brohm

So to sum it up, Brohm is .500 across the board. Against the “daunting” BIG East and the “soft” BIG West. He is also .500 against a pretty stout lineup of P5 OOC opponents. Sure a .500 record after 2 years isn’t anything to write home about for most programs, but any program coming off a 9-39 stretch is going to be ecstatic with a 2 year span of .500 while showing momentum for future improvements.

CTA is .417, not bad, but not great either. He is actually worse against the “soft” BIG West that you all always whine about than he is against the East! Who would imagine that?! If you took the BIG West out of his record he would be 9-9, or .500, and match Brohm! He also has a bit of a boost from the easier OOC schedules IU typically faces. Not a dig at IU, just an honest analysis of the facts, he has played a third as many OOC P5 games as Brohm. But he has also won all his OOC games, which is what should be expected of a BIG coach so I have to give him some respect for that for sure.

Overall both coaches have performed at levels our two programs can’t complain about. Sure we all would like our programs to be better, but historically speaking we’ve had a few solid years with these two coaches. However, I would say that looking at the records, Brohm has been the better coach so far.

That’s just the opinion of a humble Boiler (or “Broilee” to put it in terms y’all understand ;) ) so take it for what it’s worth to you.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT