ADVERTISEMENT

Alaina Harper commits to Purdue WBB

DubJellison

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 26, 2022
Awesome. Welcome aboard Alaina Harper. Looking forward to see what she can add to next year's team and beyond.

Reactions: DubJellison
While yes; 5 ppg and 2 rpg doesn’t seem all too impressive, especially in a low-ish D1 conference - but you have to keep in mind - she only averaged 11 minutes per game. So when she got the minutes - she was very productive. She has a very nice, big ten ready, 6’3 frame. Almost identical to her older sisters. - except with a couple (needed) inches on her. Also - judging from her commitment pic she has put in the work and has really developed her upper body strength - very few true freshmen posts come in with a game-ready (both strength and stamina) frame. Many need at least a year to get up to speed physically to the D1 game, something she did last year at GCU. I’ve watched clips of her game and her skill set is very similar to her older sisters except with a couple more inches on her to help defensively. If you would tell me we could have elder Harper for 2-3 more years I’d sign right up. With continued development - she will be productive for us much like her older sister.

Last edited:
While yes; 5 ppg and 2 rpg doesn’t seem all too impressive, especially in a low-ish D1 conference - but you have to keep in mind - she only averaged 11 minutes per game. So when she got the minutes - she was very productive. She has a very nice, big ten ready, 6’3 frame. Almost identical to her older sisters. - except with a couple (needed) inches on her. Also - judging from her commitment pic she has put in the work and has really developed her upper body strength - very few true freshmen posts come in with a game-ready (both strength and stamina) frame. Many need at least a year to get up to speed physically to the D1 game, something she did last year at GCU. I’ve watched clips of her game and her skill set is very similar to her older sisters except with a couple more inches on her to help defensively. If you would tell me we could have elder Harper for 2-3 more years I’d sign right up. With continued development - she will be productive for us much like her older sister.
No problem with this at all, guessing that the roster is done being filled, looks like 13 Scholies used with 1 perhaps 2 girls redshirting next season.

Dub… do you think they add a grad transfer backcourt player for depth purposes? Might be wise to add a PG capable of playing a few minutes a night to lesson Terry’s minutes. I think 25 minutes a night is a good number for her, 35 minutes a night is to many.

Dub… do you think they add a grad transfer backcourt player for depth purposes? Might be wise to add a PG capable of playing a few minutes a night to lesson Terry’s minutes. I think 25 minutes a night is a good number for her, 35 minutes a night is to many.
I would say Spider will be Terrys backup. I think we have enough guards to keep everyone happy.

I would say Spider will be Terrys backup. I think we have enough guards to keep everyone happy.
Or put another way, we already have more guards and wings than we can keep happy with playing time and bringing in another just makes it more likely we lose several at the end of next year again as well

I do not believe they will. They are extremely high on Rashunda Jones, who will likely be the first guard off the bench.

Opening night lineup of Terry/Ellis/Layden/Smith/Harper? Reynolds, Jones, Groot, Harper, Monson, Layden rounding it out with Swanson and Reynolds redshirting sounds like a decent team.

Reactions: DocRon
Opening night lineup of Terry/Ellis/Layden/Smith/Harper? Reynolds, Jones, Groot, Harper, Monson, Layden rounding it out with Swanson and Reynolds redshirting sounds like a decent team.
Thats definitely a possible group.

Ill take the crazy guess: Jones/Ellis/Smith/Groot/Harper older
Just dont know if the elder layden has the motor to start anymore. Jones has to take some big steps but I would guess shes starting over Terry sooner than later.

Just dont know if the elder layden has the motor to start anymore. Jones has to take some big steps but I would guess shes starting over Terry sooner than later.

um, you’re saying that a true freshman will be soon starting over a 5th year senior at PG - a player who is on a triple double watch pretty much every game? Yeah that’s not going to happen. Barring injury - Terry will be the starter every game next season.

I believe the lineup will be:

Terry/Spider
Ellis/Layden
Smith/Layden/Monson
Mila/Groot
Harper/Harper

Spider/Madison/Groot - first 3 off the bench.

Barring injury, I'd be shocked if the first game starting lineup wasn't: Terry/Ellis/Smith/Layden/Harper.

Knowing Coach Gearlds' loyalty to upper classmen....I'd be almost willing to bet on them being the first starting five. It may change as the season progresses. I really hope it does. I think for this team to take another step forward. One or two of the newcomers have to be big time contributors or stars.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Barring injury, I'd be shocked if the first game starting lineup wasn't: Terry/Ellis/Smith/Layden/Harper.

Knowing Coach Gearlds' loyalty to upper classmen....I'd be almost willing to bet on them being the first starting five. It may change as the season progresses. I really hope it does. I think for this team to take another step forward. One or two of the newcomers have to be big time contributors or stars.

It will depend on who we play - sure our first set of games will be OOC - against smaller teams that lineup will probably be fine. But once we get into big ten play - I’m betting the 6’2 Mila will replace Layden because we will need to preserve her minutes ( and legs) throughout the season. The lineup I listed is much more big ten ready.

No way Terry doesn't start, that is crazy. We only have one proven post player, the younger Harper looks to me like a project and may not help this year at all so to put the unproven Groot, your only likely backup post in the starting lineup is equally absurd.

Terry
Ellis
Smith
Layden
Harper is very very likely to be the first starting lineup until things start getting shaken up.

No way Terry doesn't start, that is crazy. We only have one proven post player, the younger Harper looks to me like a project and may not help this year at all so to put the unproven Groot, your only likely backup post in the starting lineup is equally absurd.

Terry
Ellis
Smith
Layden
Harper is very very likely to be the first starting lineup until things start getting shaken up.

Do you not realize your hypocrisy? On one hand you’re against getting instant impact “proven” talent ie transfers - waxing on about how we need to develop freshmen for the sake of the program. But yet the notion of developing freshmen/sophomores in Groot, Mila and Alaina H and having them play a key role on the team is “absurd” due to them not being “proven”. Which is it Michael?

• Haha
Do you not realize your hypocrisy? On one hand you’re against getting instant impact “proven” talent ie transfers - waxing on about how we need to develop freshmen for the sake of the program. But yet the notion of developing freshmen/sophomores in Groot, Mila and Alaina H and having them play a key role on the team is “absurd” due to them not being “proven”. Which is it Michael?
I was talking about them starting, pay attention and you won't look so much like an ass just looking to pick a fight all the time. I expect Groot to play a lot of minutes and would not be surprised if Reynolds pushes either Layden or Smith out of the starting lineup by BT season. Alaina looks to me like a project if not an outright recruiting mistake, but we shall see. But to start Groot and Harper side by side first game is ludicrous IMHO. Obviously from the feral wildness of your attack, you believe they should start together from day one with virtually no backup post.... I thought you were more knowledgeable about bball than that.

Terry
Ellis
Smith
Layden
Solid lineup but not the most athletic. I do think the team will be a little better than last year, it’s a deeper team I think.

I was talking about them starting, pay attention and you won't look so much like an ass just looking to pick a fight all the time. I expect Groot to play a lot of minutes and would not be surprised if Reynolds pushes either Layden or Smith out of the starting lineup by BT season. Alaina looks to me like a project if not an outright recruiting mistake, but we shall see. But to start Groot and Harper side by side first game is ludicrous IMHO. Obviously from the feral wildness of your attack, you believe they should start together from day one with virtually no backup post.... I thought you were more knowledgeable about bball than that.
Even if Alaina doesn’t play much it’s not much of a recruiting mistake, Purdue had the scholarships to give, no harm getting a depth piece.

Even if Alaina doesn’t play much it’s not much of a recruiting mistake, Purdue had the scholarships to give, no harm getting a depth piece.

Of course it’s not a mistake. It’s the smart decision. Transfers are great as long as they don’t mess with the current team’s chemistry. Elder Harper is set to get at least 25 mpg in her career swan song. Bringing in a proven starting post player completely messes with the team make up. We needed someone that was ok with potentially playing sparingly - continue to develop and become prepared to be a rotational player her final 2 years. That’s exactly what we have in Alaina. She adds needed depth, isn’t coming in expecting starter-level minutes, and has the frame to help out at least defensively against bigger B10 post players once we come across that. This was something if that both Stoddard and Learn simply didn’t give us. We could’ve used her this past year against Iowa. If she only can just help us defensively this year and be another big body I would call it a good addition. - anything else we get from her will simply be a bonus.

Last edited:
Its not a mistake if she is happy at the end of the bench and is a good teammate and practice player. If she leaves over PT in a year or two and or is unhappy and becomes a distraction, then recruiting her was a mistake. Alaina may develop into a player, but she looks far less capable to me this coming season than what we lost in Woltman and Learn.

Its not a mistake if she is happy at the end of the bench and is a good teammate and practice player. If she leaves over PT in a year or two and or is unhappy and becomes a distraction, then recruiting her was a mistake. Alaina may develop into a player, but she looks far less capable to me this coming season than what we lost in Woltman and Learn.

Another stellar judgement from someone who has never seen a player play, save for what a few highlights? Did you even bother to research those? Simply going off a stat line? 5 pts and 2 reb in a mere 11 minutes per game as she was sitting behind a 5th year grad transfer post. Like pretty much every other incoming freshman.

Wow. Again I’m just so shocked no one has ever pegged you to lead a power five conference team. 🙄

Again, i haven’t either - save for some highlights I found on twitterb- but guess who has seen a lot more than us? An entire coaching staff getting paid to acquire talent and a pretty talented older sister who has seen it all and wouldn’t steer their younger sibling in the wrong direction if she didn’t think she could excel at this level.

Woltman wanted to quit - she never seemed like her true passion was basketball and her lack of fundamentals were always her undoing. Learn’s lack of size and height and lack of perimeter skills was her undoing. There’s a reason why she went mid major. No power five school is looking for 6’1 slim post player that hustles really hard!

Last edited:
Another stellar judgement from someone who has never seen a player play, save for what a few highlights? Did you even bother to research those? Simply going off a stat line? 5 pts and 2 reb in a mere 11 minutes per game as she was sitting behind a 5th year grad transfer post. Like pretty much every other incoming freshman.

Wow. Again I’m just so shocked no one has ever pegged you to lead a power five conference team. 🙄

Again, i haven’t either - save for some highlights I found on twitterb- but guess who has seen a lot more than us? An entire coaching staff getting paid to acquire talent and a pretty talented older sister who has seen it all and wouldn’t steer their younger sibling in the wrong direction if she didn’t think she could excel at this level.

Woltman wanted to quit - she never seemed like her true passion was basketball and her lack of fundamentals were always her undoing. Learn’s lack of size and height and lack of perimeter skills was her undoing. There’s a reason why she went mid major. No power five school is looking for 6’1 slim post player that hustles really hard!

You seem to put a ton of stock into bloodlines.... I will counter with twin sisters Tamika and Taija Catchings, twin brothers Horace and Harvey Grant, and the Paris twins. In all three cases there was a VERY clear difference between the better and lesser sibling. Yeah, Alaina had a couple of good games toward end the year against really awful competition, I personally am not impressed by that. I also left it open that she may develop and be a player in the future, but I very seriously doubt she is much of a help this season at all.

And once again, you go off like a deranged rabid beast acting like you are the only one allowed an opinion. You really are a massive A-hole on here to anyone that doesn't kiss your butt. Don't worry, Doc is already puckered up ready to do so and defend you because we all know he won't call you out for being such a jerk on here, he's far too afraid of you and far too lacking in integrity. ;)

You seem to put a ton of stock into bloodlines.... I will counter with twin sisters Tamika and Taija Catchings, twin brothers Horace and Harvey Grant, and the Paris twins. In all three cases there was a VERY clear difference between the better and lesser sibling. Yeah, Alaina had a couple of good games toward end the year against really awful competition, I personally am not impressed by that. I also left it open that she may develop and be a player in the future, but I very seriously doubt she is much of a help this season at all.

And once again, you go off like a deranged rabid beast acting like you are the only one allowed an opinion. You really are a massive A-hole on here to anyone that doesn't kiss your butt. Don't worry, Doc is already puckered up ready to do so and defend you because we all know he won't call you out for being such a jerk on here, he's far too afraid of you and far too lacking in integrity. ;)

The same “horrid” competition Ellis and Harper were playing against - yet they both seamlessly transitioned to be an impactful player in the big ten.

It’s almost as if, *gasp* KG understands basketball - has a literal former scout on her staff - and after evaluation both have come to the conclusion that a player is Big Ten caliber or has the potential as a true sophomore to become one. Hmmmm probably why they’re getting paid the big bucks.

• Haha
The same “horrid” competition Ellis and Harper were playing against - yet they both seamlessly transitioned to be an impactful player in the big ten.

It’s almost as if, *gasp* KG understands basketball - has a literal former scout on her staff - and after evaluation both have come to the conclusion that a player is Big Ten caliber or has the potential as a true sophomore to become one. Hmmmm probably why they’re getting paid the big bucks.
Sounds like the "Versyp defense" for her odd decisions for 15 years that many users here and elsewhere used to make excuses for her too.

Wow, how did I get dragged into this? I have not much of an opinion about the starting 5 other than the coaches will know a lot more than any of us after going thru fall practices.

And why would I be "afraid of" BoilerPride08???

But there is one person on here who seems to be unable to make his points without calling people names. Childish.

Have you seen Alaina play 1 second of a Purdue scrimmage or exhibition game or pickup.game at Mackey?

Have you seen Alaina play 1 second of a Purdue scrimmage or exhibition game or pickup.game at Mackey?
Nope. But neither has anyone else, so by your logic none of us should say anything about any recruits ever. Be a really boring board that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT