ADVERTISEMENT

AJ is a Maverick!

Y'know, I hadn't thought about it before, but learning from Dirk N. could be just the thing for AJ. Wish him well.

Reactions: nagemj02
I hope he can continue to mature and grow as a person while keeping a consistent work ethic for his craft (I don't know if basketball is his #1 passion, but it's his #1 option for his earnings).

Boiler Up!

Cuban knows a thing or two about picking people. Cuban hit a home run! Funny how things work out. Good luck and kick some butt!

Cuban knows a thing or two about picking people. Cuban hit a home run! Funny how things work out. Good luck and kick some butt!

Kind of ironic the the Hoosier Wonder turned to Purdue for his only Draft Pick....gotta love it!.,

Reactions: BBG
Not a bad place for AJ to be. They have decent bigs (JaVale McGee and Zaza Pachulia), but not guys who have solidified their position for years to come. The contract situation with JaVale (he is in a contract year this year) and Zaza (he has this year and next) will make for a competitive situation. However, if AJ can prove himself and earn it, he has an opportunity in a year or 2, for the organization to commit themselves to him. Good luck AJ!!!! We'll be rooting for you.

Surprised that Damien Jones went in the late 1st round and AJ falls to late 2nd.... I'll be curious to see how he does in the pro's.

Also shocked that AJ was the 10th center taken..... Would have thought he would have been top 5 for the position.

Not a bad place for AJ to be. They have decent bigs (JaVale McGee and Zaza Pachulia), but not guys who have solidified their position for years to come. The contract situation with JaVale (he is in a contract year this year) and Zaza (he has this year and next) will make for a competitive situation. However, if AJ can prove himself and earn it, he has an opportunity in a year or 2, for the organization to commit themselves to him. Good luck AJ!!!! We'll be rooting for you.

Zaza......for some reason made me pause.....

images

starwars100003.jpg

Not a bad landing spot.....thought the Celtics might be in play as well. A few international-based centers were taken. Opportunity is there for AJH.

AJ and Dirk raining treys!
What pick was he? BTW I wish him well, but I don't think his loss will hurt as much as some on here think. Haas has been practicing against and playing with AJH so he should fit right in at full time menace in the middle. Purdue will be better next year and AJH should make a lot of $.

As a Spurs fan, I hate the Mavs but I think it's a good fit for AJ honestly. They don't have anything great at Center. McGee is trash and is always hurt. Zaza isn't the worst Center in the world, but he's also 32. Salah Mejri is nothing except a space occupier. So AJ should get good minutes behind Zaza, and I could see him taking over for him in the future. Plus Carlisle is a good coach. And learning anything from Dirk about basketball can only be a positive.

Living in the Dallas area, at least I'll get to see all the Mavs game and I'll root for them when AJ is on the floor.

What pick was he? Any guaranteed money? Sorry, couldn't stay up that late. Just knew Yogi and Troy weren't drafted.

What pick was he? Any guaranteed money? Sorry, couldn't stay up that late. Just knew Yogi and Troy weren't drafted.

16th of the Second Round (#46 overall), no guaranteed money.

Also just saw this from ESPN.com, Tim MacMahon:

Mavs second-round pick A.J. Hammons acknowledges perception that he's "a little lazy here and there." He says he has worked to improve his conditioning and playing hard consistently. "I've been working to get that opinion out of the way."

What pick was he? BTW I wish him well, but I don't think his loss will hurt as much as some on here think. Haas has been practicing against and playing with AJH so he should fit right in at full time menace in the middle. Purdue will be better next year and AJH should make a lot of $.

Haas is a solid offensive player down low that gives Purdue a low post threat every second when he is on the floor. As others said, he will not be the defensive player AJ was, but the league removed defense a couple of years ago anyway. What he will not do is provide the versatility to step out some and allow Biggie to take his man low with space or open up a decent driving land and so he will just have to wall up his man for others to drive.. Course when he takes a breather for whatever reason, Biggie will have that versatility and so it shouldn't hurt much. I hope he maintains his FT shooting. Purdue could make any team worry about low post play for 40 minutes last year.

They may not have 40 minutes of threat down low, but more driving lanes will be open when they don't. AJ improved a lot the last two years, but I do not think he and Davis truly had that quiet confidence they should and if true probably due to the first two years losing many games that were winnable. I have absolutely no reason other than gut to think they don't have the inner confidence of a Edwards or Swanigan. They were great for Purdue and helped bring Purdue back to being able to beat anyone on a given night, but a part of me thinks Purdue will be better this year for all the other pieces...course I haven't watched Haas defend the high 1,5 ball screen either... :)

Reactions: Dakota Girl
Given Rick Carlisle's reputation as a no-nonsense coach who makes rookies/youngsters prove their worth, I would imagine AJ has the perfect opportunity to answer those questions about his motor/effort/want-to right away.

16th of the Second Round (#46 overall), no guaranteed money.

Also just saw this from ESPN.com, Tim MacMahon:

Mavs second-round pick A.J. Hammons acknowledges perception that he's "a little lazy here and there." He says he has worked to improve his conditioning and playing hard consistently. "I've been working to get that opinion out of the way."

How many years at Purdue did A.J. "work hard to get that opinion out of the way"?

I love A.J. and saw him make great progress throughout his four years here. Still, the red-flag about him "taking plays off" continues. I'm not sure that's a fair perception, but him being picked 46th indicates at least some pro scouts share it.

I wish my only problem was effort and not ability/size. Still say Purdue will be better w/o him. No knock on AJH, but drive and effort by a centerpiece player can effect entire team. Haas may flourish at center now.
Hate to see Troy leave IU, but they may be more consistent and team orient w/o him. Who knows for sure.

I wish my only problem was effort and not ability/size. Still say Purdue will be better w/o him. No knock on AJH, but drive and effort by a centerpiece player can effect entire team. Haas may flourish at center now.
Hate to see Troy leave IU, but they may be more consistent and team orient w/o him. Who knows for sure.
I think IU has plenty of wing talent that losing Troy will not hurt them. The point guard is now your question mark just as it was ours last season. Might still be.

Reactions: hoosier48
Surprised that Damien Jones went in the late 1st round and AJ falls to late 2nd.... I'll be curious to see how he does in the pro's.

Also shocked that AJ was the 10th center taken..... Would have thought he would have been top 5 for the position.
IIRC, Brad Miller was not drafted and became an NBA All-Star n a long career. I believe he outlasted all of the drafted centers in his class.

Go get 'em, AJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT