ADVERTISEMENT

Aidan for the WIN!!!

I'm never going to understand why people hate Brohm. I can't even read the other threads to try and figure it out.

Then again, I don't understand why people hate Walters after year 1 either.

Maybe I'm the crazy one because I like both?
I don’t think anyone hates Brohm. Personally, I am thankful that he brought the program out of a very bad place and back to respectability. But there was something missing and I wasn’t upset at all when he bolted. Jeff Brohm can coach. He can scheme and call a game on offense with the best of them. I’m not a big fan of his nepotism requirement, but that’s a secondary grievance. The something that was missing was recruiting and I just don’t understand the folks that won’t acknowledge that.

The fact of the matter is that Brohm and Walters are to very different commodities to this point. Each have their trade-offs and wins and losses will not even give one an advantage over the other as Collage Football changed as one left and the other arrived.

I don’t think anyone hates Brohm. Personally, I am thankful that he brought the program out of a very bad place and back to respectability. But there was something missing and I wasn’t upset at all when he bolted. Jeff Brohm can coach. He can scheme and call a game on offense with the best of them. I’m not a big fan of his nepotism requirement, but that’s a secondary grievance. The something that was missing was recruiting and I just don’t understand the folks that won’t acknowledge that.
You can suck at recruiting and still put together a decent team. You can be great at recruiting and be awful on the field. Takes a balance of both.

Brohm did pretty well in the transfer portal to offset some of his high school recruiting shortcomings.

What will the current coach do to shore up the blatant shortcomings on the coaching/scheme side?

I'm never going to understand why people hate Brohm. I can't even read the other threads to try and figure it out.

Then again, I don't understand why people hate Walters after year 1 either.

Maybe I'm the crazy one because I like both?
I always respect a guy for being willing to come to Purdue.

I don’t hate Walters. I don’t like him as a schemer or a play caller but I don’t hate the guy. I’d love to see him succeed. Something is going to have to change IMO for that to happen though.

I always respect a guy for being willing to come to Purdue.

I don’t hate Walters. I don’t like him as a schemer or a play caller but I don’t hate the guy. I’d love to see him succeed. Something is going to have to change IMO for that to happen though.
You don't like Walters as HC at Purdue. Just admit it already.

If you dont like his scheme, or playcalling, then you don't like him for who he was brought here to be. Its the same as when BC doesn't like Brohm because he doesn't like his coaching style and philosophy.

Reactions: z_one
You don't like Walters as HC at Purdue. Just admit it already.

If you dont like his scheme, or playcalling, then you don't like him for who he was brought here to be. Its the same as when BC doesn't like Brohm because he doesn't like his coaching style and philosophy.
I don’t like the work he’s done so far on the field. I’m hopeful it will change…but you know what they say the definition of insanity is.

I don’t like the work he’s done so far on the field. I’m hopeful it will change…but you know what they say the definition of insanity is.
Definition of insanity? When pbloiler is saying the same thing over and over about Walters year 1 and over and over and over again? Jk... jk

When he does the same thing for 3 years and we keep losing then I'll be in your boat.

For now he gets the benefit of the doubt like I gave Brohm when we was 17-21 after 3 years. I definitely gave him a big pass on the 2-win Covid year and it was definitely worth it. Would love to still have him as our HC.

Reactions: tbird2017 and z_one
Definition of insanity? When pbloiler is saying the same thing over and over about Walters year 1 and over and over and over again? Jk... jk

When he does the same thing for 3 years and we keep losing then I'll be in your boat.

For now he gets the benefit of the doubt like I gave Brohm when we was 17-21 after 3 years. I definitely gave him a big pass on the 2-win Covid year and it was definitely worth it. Would love to still have him as our HC.
Biggest difference is Brohm flipped our fortunes immediately and brought a brand of football that fit our brand and was desirable to watch.

Had a good 2019 lined up and our All American and Good QB go down on the same play…I’m willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt going 4-8 after the start he had to his time here.

2020 was a freak year…and he’d have been 3-3 without the Minny screw job.

21 and 22 speak for themselves.

Walters walked in and regressed big time on D. Runs a scheme I don’t think will ever be successful for us…we just won’t consistently have the talent (see Scourton bolting).

Wish the guy well as I want to win but much has to change for me to feel confident we aren’t staring ANOTHER 4-8 year down.

Also like how Walters gets credit for good portal recruiting but Brohm doesn’t.

Biggest difference is Brohm flipped our fortunes immediately and brought a brand of football that fit our brand and was desirable to watch.

Had a good 2019 lined up and our All American and Good QB go down on the same play…I’m willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt going 4-8 after the start he had to his time here.

Walters walked in and regressed big time on D. Runs a scheme I don’t think will ever be successful for us…we just won’t consistently have the talent (see Scourton bolting).

Wish the guy well as I want to win but much has to change for me to feel confident we aren’t staring ANOTHER 4-8 year down.

Brohm still got the time to do what he needed to do. But you completely deny Walters the same time. And you never give a good reason why except that you simply like Brohm better. I like Brohm better too but I'm still going to give Walters time. You've already written him off.

Oh and Brohm gets props in the portal. Charlie Jones was a stud. It's just that he was much better at developing under the radar guys than getting elite players to transfer in.

Brohm still got the time to do what he needed to do. But you completely deny Walters the same time. And you never give a good reason why except that you simply like Brohm better. I like Brohm better too but I'm still going to give Walters time. You've already written him off.

Oh and Brohm gets props in the portal. Charlie Jones was a stud. It's just that he was much better at developing under the radar guys than getting elite players to transfer in.
I write off Walters because there’s no amount of talent we are going to bring in that’s going to make his defense successful.

I’d love for him to change my mind tho

Brohm had a good base to work with and no portal or NIL to deal with to start with. Brohm didn't do much with the portal because it was still in it's infancy. Walters walked into a mess. The defense was playing better by the end of the year as evidenced by what they did in Ann Arbor. You won't admit it and are biased against him. You don't think his defense will work. Are you an expert? Maybe you should apply as an assistant coach or give it a rest. 21 and 22 speak for themselves? LMAO. How about 47-45? If Painter was two games over .500 he would have been fired long ago. Let's not make Brohm out to be Dabo Swinney. He did a decent job and decided to leave. Give the Brohm bullshit a rest. He was a good but not great coach.

Please stop. He inherited a bunch of bottom of B1G recruiting classes and 1-8 roster.

And no portal to help plug holes.
You stop. You claiming that Brohm didn't have a good base to work with shows that you don't know what you are talking about. It's been proven time and again that he did. Brohm was a good coach. That has also been determined. Brohm is also gone. He didn't lose anyone and inherited two starting quarterbacks(one that is still playing in the NFL)the most important position on the field. The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. It is yet to be proven that the portal is a plus to anyone other than the players and a handful of schools with money to burn. In fact for most schools it is going to be a negative. PB18's incessant harping is getting quite old. Brohm is gone. Let's STHU about him and move on.

Last edited:
The last two Brohm recruiting classes were not the worst recruiting classes in the BIG 10. And as such, Purdue was not the worst team in the BIG 10 either.

Walters is attracting a lot of defensive recruits. Walters is adding depth to the offensive line.

If I were to draw a parallel, I’d say Walters is following the same path he followed at Illinois and the one that has proven to be successful at Iowa!

While many Purdue fans here may become very upset Walters is not building a team that will pass for over 800 yards a game, Building a defensive oriented team that is boring Much like Iowa is not a bad thing.

The last two Brohm recruiting classes were not the worst recruiting classes in the BIG 10. And as such, Purdue was not the worst team in the BIG 10 either.

Walters is attracting a lot of defensive recruits. Walters is adding depth to the offensive line.

If I were to draw a parallel, I’d say Walters is following the same path he followed at Illinois and the one that has proven to be successful at Iowa!

While many Purdue fans here may become very upset Walters is not building a team that will pass for over 800 yards a game, Building a defensive oriented team that is boring Much like Iowa is not a bad thing.
A defensive oriented team that finished last in the conference.

Color me unimpressed

You stop. You claiming that Brohm didn't have a good base to work with shows that you don't know what you are talking about. It's been proven time and again that he did. Brohm was a good coach. That has also been determined. Brohm is also gone. He didn't lose anyone and inherited two starting quarterbacks(one that is still playing in the NFL)the most important position on the field. The portal giveth and the portal taketh away. It is yet to be proven that the portal is a plus to anyone other than the players and a handful of schools with money to burn. In fact for most schools it is going to be a negative. PB18's incessant harping is getting quite old. Brohm is gone. Let's STHU about him and move on.
Brohm inherited 2 QBs who did nothing before he got here. (Hint: Hudson Card would look a lot better if he had gone to Louisville.)

Purdue was the worst program in the league when Brohm got here. Not debatable.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
Brohm inherited 2 QBs who did nothing before he got here. (Hint: Hudson Card would look a lot better if he had gone to Louisville.)

Why is it difficult for you to compute that you are comparing apples to oranges when it comes to Brohm and Walters. Brohm did not have to deal with NIL and transfer portal when he was here. And the schedule difficulty between what Brohm had and what Walters had/has is very different.

Brohm left us, remember? Just in time when Purdue has its toughest schedule.

we would not know what Card would have done at Louisville because he would not have gone there. Card is at Purdue because of Harrell. Same with Davilla. Brohm brought in Plumber and got lucky with with a walk on QB, AOC.

Brohm is gone, Walters is who we have now and going forward.

Why is it difficult for you to compute that you are comparing apples to oranges when it comes to Brohm and Walters. Brohm did not have to deal with NIL and transfer portal when he was here. And the schedule difficulty between what Brohm had and what Walters had/has is very different.

Brohm left us, remember? Just in time when Purdue has its toughest schedule.

we would not know what Card would have done at Louisville because he would not have gone there. Card is at Purdue because of Harrell. Same with Davilla. Brohm brought in Plumber and got lucky with with a walk on QB, AOC.

Brohm is gone, Walters is who we have now and going forward.
Of course the situations were different.

The portal would have helped Brohm rebuild the trash 2016 roster quicker, if we’re being honest.

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and pboiler18

The portal would have helped Brohm rebuild the trash 2016 roster quicker, if we’re being honest.
“The portal” existed then to a lesser extent. There were grad transfers available and Brohm took quite a few.

• Haha

Portal would have helped Brohm. Maybe or maybe not. I guess we will never know. the situation were different

“The portal” existed then to a lesser extent. There were grad transfers available and Brohm took quite a few.
How many of the grad transfers panned out for us. Doesn’t matter. It all happened in the past. Brohm is gone. PBoiler18, I thought you were giving Burks crap because he left Purdue. So did Brohm. Let’s move on shall we?

Lets see how Card does next year, with what looks like will be a better O Line and the experience he got this year. i feel like the offense will be alot better, defense should be better, but both are wait and see, so give Walters a break and see what he does this coming year.

Reactions: cillerdo and z_one

PB18 says we need to give Brohm a break for his 4-8 campaign because he lost his 2 best players on offense on one play. How can Sindelar be trash as you claim and then one of our two best players 3 years in? That's right, Brohm is a miracle worker! LOL You guys are relentlessly negative towards Walters. BTW, how good was Plummer last night? USC 3rd stringer looked like Mahomes against UL. USC had 20 of their best players including their starting quarterback that didn't play. LOL

Last edited:
Lets see how Card does next year, with what looks like will be a better O Line and the experience he got this year. i feel like the offense will be alot better, defense should be better, but both are wait and see, so give Walters a break and see what he does this coming year.
I am expecting Card to have a breakout year next year. Need to get weapons around him.
The latest Hammer and Rail pod did a good job of what the Air Raid receivers are supposed to look like. 2023, we were basically running the Air Raid with 3 slot receivers.

In the Holiday Bowl, you get a glimpse of what Harrell’s Air Raid is supposed to look like. This is L Reily’s version of the Air Raid.

AOC may have looked bad, but he didn’t make mistakes and he maintained the lead. That’s what a good QB is supposed to do.

As for Brohm, Hazell left him a lot of talent and experience. And several huge holes. It’s kind of like playing red rover. Hazell had a couple of weak links and other teams took advantage of those weak links. Overall, the team was pretty good, but those 1-3 holes were really bad. Once those weak links were filled, it was a pretty good team. Probably the best player Brohm recruited was his defensive coordinator’s son that played linebacker! He may not have been talented enough to play in the nfl, but every game, he made a lot of plays at critical points in games to secure wins! And he made others around him better.

I am expecting Card to have a breakout year next year. Need to get weapons around him.
The latest Hammer and Rail pod did a good job of what the Air Raid receivers are supposed to look like. 2023, we were basically running the Air Raid with 3 slot receivers.

In the Holiday Bowl, you get a glimpse of what Harrell’s Air Raid is supposed to look like. This is L Reily’s version of the Air Raid.

Is the idea to have big receivers across the board? Asking because I honestly have no idea.

Is the idea to have big receivers across the board? Asking because I honestly have no idea.
There are coaches and fans who love speed! There are other coaches who love big and tall receivers who can leap and make catches.

Green Bay provides an excellent example to follow. They are known for being a passing oriented team. Their greatest receivers were known for their ability to make plays and be able to gain yardage after the catch. Guys like Driver, Nelson and Adams were not really fast, but they could make spectacular plays and catches. On the flip side, their speed receivers mVS and Phil Epps were terrible receivers! MVS is still a terrible receiver for Kc despite his speed.

A look at Purdue will find the same is true. Purdue’s great receivers were not its fastest receivers! Purdue would do well to find big and tall receivers who can leap and make plays rather than ones with tremendous speed who can’t get open, run proper routes or catch the ball.

Look at OSU. They have receivers drafted in the first round every single year. They make plays! Guys like Olave and Harrison are awesome but are not the fastest receivers drafted!

Randy Moss is a HOF receiver because he could combine both size and speed.

I relate speed in receivers to Nolan Ryan’s speed on his fastball. Many people talk about the speed on his fastballs but it was his wicked curveball that got people out! As a pitcher he had a variety of pitches he could throw and the batters never knew what was coming.

And that’s what makes an all American receiver. That’s what made Moore so good. He could make the incredible catch. He was elusive! Defenders never could tackle him. Moore wasn’t tall. But he was a playmaker!

Tall and big is good. Being a playmaker in clutch situations is so much better!

Reactions: cillerdo
You would like to have your perimeter guys to be big/ fast/ good hands. Harrell said he like receivers that can beat up on smaller corners. Also in the Big Ten with poor weather conditions, you will need receivers to win 50-50 balls. The big receivers also helps in the end zone throws. This is the reason why receivers like J Banks are in high demand.

inside/slot receiver, you want fast/shifty. Someone like Burks. Hammer and Rails think the freshman Jesse Watson might be a good slot. I am skeptical because Jesse is 5 foot 8. R Shackelford or Swinski might work well here. Most likely the UCLA transfer.

and then you have the long lankey tightends like Klare, Burhenn, and Biber

I hear Edrine is recovering well from his knee injury and should be one of the perimeter receiver. I will keep saying Burhenn should be our other perimeter guy.

You would like to have your perimeter guys to be big/ fast/ good hands. Harrell said he like receivers that can beat up on smaller corners. Also in the Big Ten with poor weather conditions, you will need receivers to win 50-50 balls. The big receivers also helps in the end zone throws. This is the reason why receivers like J Banks are in high demand.

inside/slot receiver, you want fast/shifty. Someone like Burks. Hammer and Rails think the freshman Jesse Watson might be a good slot. I am skeptical because Jesse is 5 foot 8. R Shackelford or Swinski might work well here. Most likely the UCLA transfer.

and then you have the long lankey tightends like Klare, Burhenn, and Biber

I hear Edrine is recovering well from his knee injury and should be one of the perimeter receiver. I will keep saying Burhenn should be our other perimeter guy.
RE: Jesse Watson

I could be wrong. He might become a good slot receiver for us.

I think if he bulks up, he might be better as a running back. Our version of Blake Corum.
shifty and good hands, hard to tackle. He might be a good curve ball to the fast ball from our other backs. Just a thought.

Wasn't Harrel the OC at USC for a season or two?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT