ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Rodgers giving Mr. Yancey some stand-out love

Aug 2, 2014
"It was one of the worst cards sessions we've had," Rodgers said. "I don't know how you can make it any simpler. You literally have what the play would be in our terminology on the card, and the effort level was very low, especially with what I'm accustomed to. I've been running that period for a number of years. So it's not a good start for us on the card period for the young guys. I think [DeAngelo] Yancey has really progressed, G-Mo [Geronimo Allison]. Obviously, 16 [Jake Kumerow]. But everybody else was kind of piss poor."

I do hope Yancey makes it.

I have to say that I am not a Rodgers fan ever since he specifically called out Purdue for not offering back in high school on 60 minutes or whatever program that was.

Reactions: Biggie357
I have to say that I am not a Rodgers fan ever since he specifically called out Purdue for not offering back in high school on 60 minutes or whatever program that was.
Worst talent evaluation Tiller ever made. Problem if I recall correctly, was a promise made to Orton that he would not recruit another QB in his class. Rodgers and his coach were actively trying to get an official visit thru Olson or Chaney but it fell thru?

I would like to see Yancey make the Packers team this year,but with Cobb,Adams,Allison,and three highly regarded rookies,its going to be tough.If GB lets him go,he may catch on somewhere else.

Worst talent evaluation Tiller ever made. Problem if I recall correctly, was a promise made to Orton that he would not recruit another QB in his class. Rodgers and his coach were actively trying to get an official visit thru Olson or Chaney but it fell thru?

That seems like an overstatement... Orton was a very good QB.

And it's not like Tiller's the only coach that passed on Rodgers.

That seems like an overstatement... Orton was a very good QB.

And it's not like Tiller's the only coach that passed on Rodgers.
Perhaps but it would have been nice to have both Rodgers and Orton on the roster instead of rotating Orton & Kirsch.

You are probably correct concerning talent evaluation. 4* Garrett Bushong was worst high profile Tiller recruit, IMO. Is he still mgr at HotBox Pizza on Chauncey Hill?

Rodgers, I thought he’d be taller.....

Perhaps but it would have been nice to have both Rodgers and Orton on the roster instead of rotating Orton & Kirsch.

You are probably correct concerning talent evaluation. 4* Garrett Bushong was worst high profile Tiller recruit, IMO. Is he still mgr at HotBox Pizza on Chauncey Hill?
Well in this crazy hypothetical world you’re describing, I doubt we would’ve kept both Orton and Rodgers. One would’ve transferred.

Let's not overplay this Aaron Rodgers/Purdue issue.

The only reason Rodgers is "tied" to Purdue is because he was looking for a college . . . ANY college . . . to offer him. So, he sent Purdue video. And, they responded, wishing him well. The letter he still has, which is the Purdue reference. In other words, other programs ignored him. Purdue (Tiller, and maybe Danny Hope as RC?) were cordial and responded. That's the depth it goes with Purdue.

For Rodgers, the only taker was Illinois . . . as a WALK ON. Until Butte College came along. Butte. College. Butte COMMUNITY College.

No, it wasn't anything so silly as "the worst talent evaluation Tiller ever made." That's ridiculous. To be fair, Tiller missed on numerous players. Some he offered, ,others he didn't.

EVERY coach missed on Rodgers. But, he was significantly undersized, if memory serves. (And not a "Drew Brees" type of undersized!)

Lets not use hindsight to criticize logical decisions.

In all seriousness, Purdue had Orton (A pro-style QB) from day 1. That is a simple equation when doing the comparison at the time.
The good part of this is it motivated A. Rodgers and he aired the news and PURDUE still gets to be known publicly as Quarterback U and Cradle of Quarterbacks. Young kids think," Wow, Purdue turned down Aaron Rodgers!?" Yes, we did because we could at that time.
In my view, it helps Purdue's image and does nothing to tarnish it.

The only reason Rodgers is "tied" to Purdue is because he was looking for a college . . . ANY college . . . to offer him. So, he sent Purdue video. And, they responded, wishing him well. The letter he still has, which is the Purdue reference. In other words, other programs ignored him. Purdue (Tiller, and maybe Danny Hope as RC?) were cordial and responded. That's the depth it goes with Purdue.

For Rodgers, the only taker was Illinois . . . as a WALK ON. Until Butte College came along. Butte. College. Butte COMMUNITY College.

No, it wasn't anything so silly as "the worst talent evaluation Tiller ever made." That's ridiculous. To be fair, Tiller missed on numerous players. Some he offered, ,others he didn't.

EVERY coach missed on Rodgers. But, he was significantly undersized, if memory serves. (And not a "Drew Brees" type of undersized!)

letting Josh Whitman get lost in the shuffle when Joe came in 1996 Ian likely a bigger gaff, imo. Although ranking systems weren’t a thing, Whitman would have been a high 4 star at worst his senior year. He wanted to go to Purdue but ended up at Illinois and playing in the NFL for a number of seasons. Whitman was from Harrison High School...about 4 miles from campus.

Reactions: Frankie611
Wasn't Orton at the top of the Heisman lists before "the fumble" and subsequent hip injuries? If only Kelly Butler didn't decide to go pro a year early...

letting Josh Whitman get lost in the shuffle when Joe came in 1996 Ian likely a bigger gaff, imo. Although ranking systems weren’t a thing, Whitman would have been a high 4 star at worst his senior year. He wanted to go to Purdue but ended up at Illinois and playing in the NFL for a number of seasons. Whitman was from Harrison High School...about 4 miles from campus.
HHAHAHAHA

He wasn’t a good player at either level.

Yancey has a year head start on the rookies. Cobb isn't getting any younger, Allison still is unproven, and we need a possession receiver as we lost Jordy. As a Packers fan I hope he can contribute, he has an NFL ready body, just needs to ball out.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
Yancey has a year head start on the rookies. Cobb isn't getting any younger, Allison still is unproven, and we need a possession receiver as we lost Jordy. As a Packers fan I hope he can contribute, he has an NFL ready body, just needs to ball out.
Yancey did catch two throws in the first half tonight vs Tennessee.

Nice rant!

Reactions: Purdue85
HHAHAHAHA

He wasn’t a good player at either level.

Says someone who likely couldn’t have touched a playing field at the division 1 level...let alone the NFL level. Also, from his bio...he didn’t really need the whole athletics aspect of his life to be successful. I believe he was a 4.0 student in high school along with his success in the Illinois school of business and later on in their school of law.

Yeah, he wasn’t Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez...but to claim he was terrible is just being ridiculous.

Says someone who likely couldn’t have touched a playing field at the division 1 level...let alone the NFL level. Also, from his bio...he didn’t really need the whole athletics aspect of his life to be successful. I believe he was a 4.0 student in high school along with his success in the Illinois school of business and later on in their school of law.

Yeah, he wasn’t Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez...but to claim he was terrible is just being ridiculous.

Are you his mom?

Where did I say he’s terrible? I think most could agree he didn’t have a remarkable career in football. I think even at the college level it would be hard to describe him as a good player. Most have and will have never heard of him.

I’m sure he’s a nice dude and clearly he’s been successful off the field. Good for him.

To call him a recruiting miss on the level of Aaron Rodgers? Get real.

So really....is it your brother? Nobody cares about Illinois athletic director. I find it extremely weird that you do to the point you’re putting him in conversations with good NFL players. Seems you have some obsession. If he’s a family member...cool...

Go chat about him on the Illinois board. After that Lovie Smith hire, he’s going to need all the help and support he can get!

Josh Whitman could probably be described as a "serviceable" tightend at IL and in NFL. I would compare him to Kyle Adams at PU and w/Bears.
Neither were highly recruited but were both straight A students who have been successful after football and were active in community and volunteer organizations. along the way.

Tiller may not have offered him out of Harrison but he sure recognized the ability of another local kid from Jeff-Dustin Keller.

Are you his mom?

Where did I say he’s terrible? I think most could agree he didn’t have a remarkable career in football. I think even at the college level it would be hard to describe him as a good player. Most have and will have never heard of him.

I’m sure he’s a nice dude and clearly he’s been successful off the field. Good for him.

To call him a recruiting miss on the level of Aaron Rodgers? Get real.

So really....is it your brother? Nobody cares about Illinois athletic director. I find it extremely weird that you do to the point you’re putting him in conversations with good NFL players. Seems you have some obsession. If he’s a family member...cool...

Go chat about him on the Illinois board. After that Lovie Smith hire, he’s going to need all the help and support he can get!
How was Rogers a recruiting miss? Did Purdue offer him a scholarship? That answer is no. Should we, as Purdue fans, say Brett Favre was a miss? What about Tua Tagovailoa? While at it, why not Dan Marino or Tom Brady?

Do you know how many videos these coaches are sent every single year? There are tons of kids who fall through the cracks every single season...I wouldn't call them recruiting misses. Who is to say Rogers would have even played at Purdue had he made it to campus?

To your other points, no I am not related to the family in any way. Again, Whitman had an offer to Purdue under the previous staff and was a local kid who got lost in the shuffle. I have had family who spoke directly to Tiller about this same topic and said Whitman was a big recruiting miss. It isn't coming from some far off place here.

Let's put it another way: If Karlaftis decided to go to Illinois because of a staff shakeup and he got lost in the shuffle (or any local 4 star player), would you consider that a big recruiting miss? Do you consider Phinsee a big recruiting miss for CMP?

Eh, can you really be mad at the guy for that? How many times in your life have you been rejected and as a result become more motivated and a better person as a result? Sure he called out Purdue, whatever. It's a lot better than being in the news for MSU, PSU or OSU reasons as of late.

Eh, can you really be mad at the guy for that? How many times in your life have you been rejected and as a result become more motivated and a better person as a result? Sure he called out Purdue, whatever. It's a lot better than being in the news for MSU, PSU or OSU reasons as of late.

Baker Mayfield may be the next Aaron Rodgers story. Had to "fall into" the starting job in HS (injury to the starter), not offered coming out of HS, walked on and so far has made quite a name for himself.

It's really quite a story, if you aren't aware.

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT