ADVERTISEMENT

48-8 FT advantage

Heads up that Matt painter will be on JMV at 4:00 PM and he will be discussing the fouls or at least JMVwill be asking him about it.

Refs are humans. Humans are affected by large volume opinion no matter how smart they are. We will see though.
Oh I know. I know a ref who checked the fouls at the end of the half and you knew they were going to be evened out at the end...and they were always pretty close at the end. He thought it was fair that way. I think @boilerzz graph shows the big very well. I just now know why some talked about FTs in the beginning. I caught a few minutes of the game and the TV kept talking about foul differential without any context...who ever was there beside Robbie.

Heads up that Matt painter will be on JMV at 4:00 PM and he will be discussing the fouls or at least JMVwill be asking him about it.
Just listened, a few take aways:
  1. Matt sounds sick AF, hope there's not something going around with the team
  2. Matt didn't go after the host directly but was very direct in saying that anyone who looks at an uneven number of fouls called and says it's unfair shows that they don't know anything about basketball (host had just been saying that the foul discrepancy was unfair)
  3. host had no idea wtf Matt was talking about when Matt went into any level of detail on offensive actions and reads

Last edited:
Matt didn't go after the host directly but was very direct in saying that anyone who looks at an uneven number of fouls called and says it's unfair shows that they don't know anything about basketball (host had just been saying that the four discrepancy was unfair)
JMV didn’t say the foul discrepancy was unfair.

Reactions: mean_gene
There is a reason why the B1G craps the bed in March every year. Don't be surprised once again when no team makes it past the S16 as tackle basketball isn't allowed anymore. The truth is Edey should foul out in the 1st half of most games.

IU sucks because Edey fouls? Go figure.

And why do you care about the NCAA tournament?

How about the play before when Buie TACKLED Braden Smith? How about the phantom foul call on Gillis? How about Buie double dribbling TWICE and not getting called. How about Edey's cylinder not existing the entire game and he probably could have had another 20 fouls called on Northwestern? This freaking narrative that Collins is pushing is total BS and he knows it.

3g5k6.jpg
How about the play before when Buie TACKLED Braden Smith? How about the phantom foul call on Gillis? How about Buie double dribbling TWICE and not getting called. How about Edey's cylinder not existing the entire game and he probably could have had another 20 fouls called on Northwestern? This freaking narrative that Collins is pushing is total BS and he knows it.

3g5k6.jpg

3g5k6.jpg
Buie tackled Smith. In full view of the referees. And the refs were only concerned about who touched the ball last before it went out of bounds.

JMV didn’t say the foul discrepancy was unfair.
Did you listen to the first 20 minutes of the show before Painter got on? If he didn’t say it he strongly implied it by saying ‘how could there possibly be that large of a discrepancy’ (even calling it a discrepancy versus a difference implies unfairness). Normal mindless drivel meant to stir the masses.

• Love
Reactions: tjreese
Not surprised Collins was not a happy camper. Reminds me of Blake Griffin and Oklahoma shooting 46 FTs to Purdue’s 5 in the preseason NIT many moons ago. It’s hard to accept that a game is called fairly when the FT attempts are ridiculously one-sided. But, I didn’t see the game, so maybe Purdue didn’t get a heaping helping of home cooking.
I hope you watched the game by now and answered you question. Collins was a dick to act like that Before the game he told the Big group he had three centers and he was going to use 15 fouls on Zach. nuf said.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Not surprised Collins was not a happy camper. Reminds me of Blake Griffin and Oklahoma shooting 46 FTs to Purdue’s 5 in the preseason NIT many moons ago. It’s hard to accept that a game is called fairly when the FT attempts are ridiculously one-sided. But, I didn’t see the game, so maybe Purdue didn’t get a heaping helping of home cooking.
Probably should have been 60 to 8. Northwestern got away with a lot. Collins game plan is foul Edey every possession and hope they only call half of them, so he's being a prissy little bish about it.

It was a 16 foul discrepancy. About 5 was Northwestern fouling at the end. Leaving 11 difference. Northwestern known for fouling and Purdue known for not. Northwestern shooting jumpers, Purdue going to Zach often. Nothing to see here.

It was a 16 foul discrepancy. About 5 was Northwestern fouling at the end. Leaving 11 difference. Northwestern known for fouling and Purdue known for not. Northwestern shooting jumpers, Purdue going to Zach often. Nothing to see here.
Ant went back and watched and Beef (somewhere in this thread) linked his tweet that calculates the fouls. The disparity was even bigger. Someone then asked him about FTs:

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Morton haters, please take note that a non-Purdue fan recognizes a valuable contribution.
This is such a dumb post. Sure Morton is ok on defense but it’s obvious that Purdue is playing four on five on offense when he’s out there. 😉

I actually thought a couple of the fouls called on Purdue (like on Gillis) were bogus, and there could have been a lot more fouls called on purple.

Collins is shrewd; when the game was lost, he decided to have a fit in order to cause this out-of-context narrative. I think he knows exactly what he’s doing.
And the first two on Lance Jones.

He’s been very efficient and playing his role very well this year so far. No complaints here 😄
To your pre-season point, he's averaging 13 mpg, which is appropriate given that he's shooting less than 25% from deep. As you know, I was hoping his shooting would rebound this year to somewhere in the 30's from three and if that were the case, that he'd play a larger role. Thankfully Lance and Cam have been excellent so MP can generally play Ethan in situations where his offensive limitations can be masked.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
To your pre-season point, he's averaging 13 mpg, which is appropriate given that he's shooting less than 25% from deep. As you know, I was hoping his shooting would rebound this year to somewhere in the 30's from three and if that were the case, that he'd play a larger role. Thankfully Lance and Cam have been excellent so MP can generally play Ethan in situations where his offensive limitations can be masked.
Yeah I was hoping he would improve those shooting numbers too. He was aggressive vs IU and has looked for his shot in games…sometimes haha.

I am really hoping that Heide would be ready to guard a player like Storr…not sure if he will be ready this weekend but hoping he can contribute on defense guarding a player like that during the tournament so far. Lance needs some help and Heide would be ideal to guard a bigger forward….not sure how quick laterally he is though.

Reactions: northside100
Yeah I was hoping he would improve those shooting numbers too. He was aggressive vs IU and has looked for his shot in games…sometimes haha.

I am really hoping that Heide would be ready to guard a player like Storr…not sure if he will be ready this weekend but hoping he can contribute on defense guarding a player like that during the tournament so far. Lance needs some help and Heide would be ideal to guard a bigger forward….not sure how quick laterally he is though.
We’ll find out tomorrow, exciting stuff. I suspect that Cam can hold his own against Storr but he’s still figuring it out, still fouling too much. Not yet that lockdown defender but sometimes guys aren’t until they are.

Maybe he shows something tomorrow? He plays hard and has the physical tools.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I’d be mad if it were the other way IF we were actually being fouled by NU. NU took a ton of jump shots and 3s…thus limiting their opportunities to get to the FT line.

Also for the season, NU fouls a ton, Purdue is one of the best at getting fouled and also doesnt foul much due to non aggressive defense. NU also doesn’t shoot FTs much in any games so when you combine all that, we see what happens. When NU DID go in the paint and try to score, they did get fouls called on Purdue (2 on Gillis come to mind right away—even if they were weak, but they WERE fouls).
The second one in on Gillis in the paint was NOT a foul. They showed the replay twice, and he didn’t touch him.

The second one in on Gillis in the paint was NOT a foul. They showed the replay twice, and he didn’t touch him.
If we’re talking an about the same play Mason touched him but stayed vertical and other player initiated contact. Not a foul.

Probably should have been 60 to 8. Northwestern got away with a lot. Collins game plan is foul Edey every possession and hope they only call half of them, so he's being a prissy little bish about it.
This. Several moving screens that should have been called including the one where the illegal screen sent our guy flying into the shooter resulting in a foul on us who got 3 shots.

At least 4 foul calls against Purdue were makeup calls.

Hey, I`m tired of I. U. being called hall of calls! Give us some of that action too.

Cam does a good job…especially for his first year playing

Cam does a good job…especially for his first year playing
Yep! Can’t wait to see him over the next few years, hope he has a big jump to next year. But secretly hoping it clicks in the next month and can play a role of slowing down taller, athletic guards/wings

Reactions: PurdueDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT