ADVERTISEMENT

4 takeaways from latest disappoinment

Superfan76

Senior
Aug 29, 2004
SIAP.....

1) I have not been this disappointed in a Purdue FB loss since......well last week vs. a terrible Gopher team missing a bunch of players.

2) If a Targeting penalty is not called on the field -- and they buzz down right before the next snap -- and then they need the Zapruder Film in super slow mo to make the determination -- it's not Targeting.

3) I know everyone (mostly everyone?) understands this but Brohm ain't going anywhere (involuntary). No way our admin takes on a huge buyout and pays a new guy market rate in the Covid era.

4) Even if Brohm is let go (or leaves for another school) we won't do any better for a HC. We are not relevant nationally and have zero chance unless we have a once in a generation player like Brees or find lightning in bottle with stars aligned (i.e. favorable schedule, other teams down, series of lucky breaks)

Reactions: SKYDOG and Tommaker
This loss is especially hard for me to swallow. The D is absolutely atrocious. It would actually be better that they get gashed for 20 yards at a time so our offense could get the ball back quicker.

The play that stings the most is that piss poor 3rd down play. I can't help but feel like the entire program took a step backwards with that shit call and execution.

Going forward the offense needs much more of a sense of urgency that they must score TDs every possession. Defense and special teams can't be counted on whatsoever.

Couple questions: Where was Grant tonight? Is Mitchell only good for a handful of plays these days (due to injury)? Do we have such a thing as a rush end?

This loss is especially hard for me to swallow. The D is absolutely atrocious. It would actually be better that they get gashed for 20 yards at a time so our offense could get the ball back quicker.

The play that stings the most is that piss poor 3rd down play. I can't help but feel like the entire program took a step backwards with that shit call and execution.

Going forward the offense needs much more of a sense of urgency that they must score TDs every possession. Defense and special teams can't be counted on whatsoever.

Couple questions: Where was Grant tonight? Is Mitchell only good for a handful of plays these days (due to injury)? Do we have such a thing as a rush end?
The third down call was awful, the execution (or lack of any)...more so. There were numerous crap calls...have been for weeks...the lack of any creativity, ingenuity or just good calls is very concerning...more so with the multitude of talent at the WR and TE positions.

There remains a talent issue on the team, but, coaching has let the players down...repeatedly.

Brohm made moves in the off-season, and, they have not proven at all to be good moves...and, he also has had some issues of his own...I am still not sure that they had the right QB initially...regardless, the play calling has been poor with either guy in there...and, the fact that the OL is still as bad as it is 4 years in is bad as well.

The Defense is atrocious as you pointed out...it is a combination of scheme and personnel, but, also just a lack of any toughness at any position on that side of the ball...and, aside of Karlaftis, not a difference maker at any position either.

There have been questionable personnel decisions multiple years as well, including thus far this year...and, B.rohm likes to be coy when addressing any of those, which, was not a good look to begin with, but, looks even worse now.

There are no more excuses...we have heard so many for so long. This is on the coach(es).

Purdue had as good a schedule as it possibly could have hoped for, and, lucked out in getting Moore back...it could not have failed worse at capitalizing on either of those.

Reactions: Purdue80
The third down call was awful, the execution (or lack of any)...more so. There were numerous crap calls...have been for weeks...the lack of any creativity, ingenuity or just good calls is very concerning...more so with the multitude of talent at the WR and TE positions.

There remains a talent issue on the team, but, coaching has let the players down...repeatedly.

Brohm made moves in the off-season, and, they have not proven at all to be good moves...and, he also has had some issues of his own...I am still not sure that they had the right QB initially...regardless, the play calling has been poor with either guy in there...and, the fact that the OL is still as bad as it is 4 years in is bad as well.

The Defense is atrocious as you pointed out...it is a combination of scheme and personnel, but, also just a lack of any toughness at any position on that side of the ball...and, aside of Karlaftis, not a difference maker at any position either.

There have been questionable personnel decisions multiple years as well, including thus far this year...and, B.rohm likes to be coy when addressing any of those, which, was not a good look to begin with, but, looks even worse now.

There are no more excuses...we have heard so many for so long. This is on the coach(es).

Purdue had as good a schedule as it possibly could have hoped for, and, lucked out in getting Moore back...it could not have failed worse at capitalizing on either of those.

I saw someone mention this on Twitter and it’s pretty accurate I think. Jeff Brohm is the Tom Crean of football. Highly focused on offense with a passing glance to defense. Has extreme highs where you can blow the doors off someone like Ohio State, but lose to Nevada/Rutgers at the same time. Can recruit elite offensive players (Moore/Bell), but has head scratching game management moments where they aren’t used. Sexy enough to get attention nationally.

I like your comment about Brohm being coy. While I understand not giving out some types of information, Brohm gives NO information, just deflection and non-specifics. As fans, we have no real idea what goes on inside the program or with individual players. His press conferences are not particularly useful.

Reactions: DAG10 and NVboiler
I like your comment about Brohm being coy. While I understand not giving out some types of information, Brohm gives NO information, just deflection and non-specifics. As fans, we have no real idea what goes on inside the program or with individual players. His press conferences are not particularly useful.
on that 3rd down play why not call that crossing pattern to Garrett Miller like the other game. Rutgers repeats successful plays.

4) Even if Brohm is let go (or leaves for another school) we won't do any better for a HC. We are not relevant nationally and have zero chance unless we have a once in a generation player like Brees or find lightning in bottle with stars aligned (i.e. favorable schedule, other teams down, series of lucky breaks)

Unfortunately, schedules don't come any more favorable than what Purdue ended up with this year. And they're letting it slip through their fingers. Imagine if this team would have faced it's original schedule? They might be down there in Haze territory by now.

SIAP.....

1) I have not been this disappointed in a Purdue FB loss since......well last week vs. a terrible Gopher team missing a bunch of players.

2) If a Targeting penalty is not called on the field -- and they buzz down right before the next snap -- and then they need the Zapruder Film in super slow mo to make the determination -- it's not Targeting.

3) I know everyone (mostly everyone?) understands this but Brohm ain't going anywhere (involuntary). No way our admin takes on a huge buyout and pays a new guy market rate in the Covid era.

3 all day.. If we fire him, who are we gonna get who will actually stay if they have success

3 all day.. If we fire him, who are we gonna get who will actually stay if they have success
Kind of hate to even go there but...is it time to take another look at Spack at ISU? Maybe after 2021.
Not the sexy pic - but we’ve now tried that.
Bet he would take it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: pb1941
Kind of hate to even go there but...is it time to take another look at Spack at ISU? Maybe after 2021.

no ... brohm long term will be very good if you move on from Diaco now..diaco’s presence will have only coincided with the lost season anyway.

spack long term is not better than brohm ... wouldn’t mind paying spack big fat money to come be our DC as a stepping stone to a P5 hc job though ... he never had some of the talent we have now

I saw someone mention this on Twitter and it’s pretty accurate I think. Jeff Brohm is the Tom Crean of football. Highly focused on offense with a passing glance to defense. Has extreme highs where you can blow the doors off someone like Ohio State, but lose to Nevada/Rutgers at the same time. Can recruit elite offensive players (Moore/Bell), but has head scratching game management moments where they aren’t used. Sexy enough to get attention nationally.
There may be some truth to that, although I don't believe to the same extent.

He did not have the same issue(s) at Western Kentucky, albeit that is different admittedly.

The game management issues have been there since he arrived, so it is safe to say that is a weakness.

The difficulty in identifying a QB for his offense, and, perhaps making the wrong decision on it more than once is a potential weakness seemingly as well (which is difficult to understand).

His lack of understanding of, or appreciation for, defense at all, is for certain a weakness...and difficult to understand given his offensive knowledge and having been an elite QB.

More important than anything though is your last statement...there is absolutely nothing sexy about Purdue football last year or this year...nothing...and, it is totally irrelevant nationally, unlike its arch rival to the south who has done far more with far less in the exact same time period since Brohm arrived...and, he/Purdue is falling behind more and more with each passing day. The lack of any relevance at all nationally should be bothersome/concerning....the fact that they have been surpassed by IU is just embarrassing, and, inexcusable...more so in that Brohm made some bad hires seemingly, then fired guys to address it, but, just made more bad hires seemingly whereas Allen lost guys to better jobs, and, hired new guys and did not skip a beat (if not did/got better).

Reactions: NVboiler and SKYDOG
There may be some truth to that, although I don't believe to the same extent.

He did not have the same issue(s) at Western Kentucky, albeit that is different admittedly.

The game management issues have been there since he arrived, so it is safe to say that is a weakness.

The difficulty in identifying a QB for his offense, and, perhaps making the wrong decision on it more than once is a potential weakness seemingly as well (which is difficult to understand).

His lack of understanding of, or appreciation for, defense at all, is for certain a weakness...and difficult to understand given his offensive knowledge and having been an elite QB.

More important than anything though is your last statement...there is absolutely nothing sexy about Purdue football last year or this year...nothing...and, it is totally irrelevant nationally, unlike its arch rival to the south who has done far more with far less in the exact same time period since Brohm arrived...and, he/Purdue is falling behind more and more with each passing day. The lack of any relevance at all nationally should be bothersome/concerning....the fact that they have been surpassed by IU is just embarrassing, and, inexcusable...more so in that Brohm made some bad hires seemingly, then fired guys to address it, but, just made more bad hires seemingly whereas Allen lost guys to better jobs, and, hired new guys and did not skip a beat (if not did/got better).

[“/The game management issues have been there since he arrived, so it is safe to say that is a weakness.”

What you said right there is the most troubling to me. This is something that should never happen and yet it does a few times every season.

Reactions: DAG10
And maybe it is not a case of being coy...maybe he just does not have anything particularly useful to offer or say opposed to being coy, which I had thought was the case.

As a Purdue fan, I think it looks pretty ridiculous to seemingly hide things or try to...more so given that they are things that just don't matter to anyone outside of Purdue.

I like Brohm personally a great deal...down to earth, hardworking, passionate, loyal, etc. I truly thought he was going to be the guy to at least keep Purdue relevant/solid, and, maybe every so often have a special year, but, I am definitely concerned...I can't get past that he had more success with Hazell's guy than his own guys, and, that they have regressed as a program rather than progressed.

I was willing to give him a pass on last year...in fact, I actually thought he did a great job all things considered...he got about the most out of what he had to work with and had to overcome I felt...but, this year...it is very concerning what has happened.

Purdue could very easily be winless right now...with a schedule that they could not have handpicked any better. Purdue was given a gift of a schedule, and, has just completely failed to capitalize at all.

The coach that Burk f%#ked over yes Brock Spack and one thing he would not have lost 84 games like the 3 that has been hired

Reactions: Boiler8285
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT