ADVERTISEMENT

32 days away!

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Who wants to talk about Nevada? I don't know much about them. Colin Kaepernick played there. Kendall Stephens transferred there for basketball. That's about it. I can't imagine they're very good if we are a 9 pt favorite coming off a 6-7 season with a new (old) Quarterback and a lot of new faces playing all over the field. Hopefully the whole CBS thing gets worked out before then or else I need to find a place to watch it that doesn't have DirecTV. I think I saw somewhere that the team is going out an extra day early to get used to the altitude.

It will be interesting to see if the altitude affects us much at all.

We may be 9 pt favorites, but we are on the road and you never know a team will play that first game, especially with OL being a big unanswered question going into training camp.

I do expect our team defense to be more disciplined this year. I am expecting less personal foul penalties this year in key situations.

Who wants to talk about Nevada? I don't know much about them. Colin Kaepernick played there. Kendall Stephens transferred there for basketball. That's about it. I can't imagine they're very good if we are a 9 pt favorite coming off a 6-7 season with a new (old) Quarterback and a lot of new faces playing all over the field. Hopefully the whole CBS thing gets worked out before then or else I need to find a place to watch it that doesn't have DirecTV. I think I saw somewhere that the team is going out an extra day early to get used to the altitude.
Well, here's what little I know about Nevada. They went 8-5 in 2018, including a win in a bowl game against Arkansas State, 16-13. The 5 losses were to (notably) Vanderbilt (10-41), Toledo (44-63), Fresno State (3-21), Boise State (27-31), and UNLV (29-34). I'll mention the losses first since we all know that they are in a non P5 conference- Mountain. The wins were to Portland State, Oregon State, Air Force, Hawaii, San Diego State, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Arkansas State. What do you think?

They have the QB from last seasons Last Chance U. Malik Henry. He transferred from Florida State. Heard he will have to compete pretty hard to start though. On their Coaching Staff they have Hal Mummes’ son , Matt. Hal Mumme was the architect of the high powered spread passing attack. Coached at Kentucky and a few other places. Also have Timmy Chang on staff who was the ex- Hawai’i QB that set the NCAA passing records a while back. I expect them to throw it all over the field. Or try to at least...

Well, here's what little I know about Nevada. They went 8-5 in 2018, including a win in a bowl game against Arkansas State, 16-13. The 5 losses were to (notably) Vanderbilt (10-41), Toledo (44-63), Fresno State (3-21), Boise State (27-31), and UNLV (29-34). I'll mention the losses first since we all know that they are in a non P5 conference- Mountain. The wins were to Portland State, Oregon State, Air Force, Hawaii, San Diego State, Colorado State, San Jose State, and Arkansas State. What do you think?
Mixed results...much like us last year. Lose a few we shouldn't, win a few we shouldn't. I don't know each and every team in detail. What I do remember is that Oregon State, Air Force, Hawaii and possibly San Diego State have all had pockets of success over the years. This game gives Nevada an opportunity to jump on a Big Ten team early in the season where injuries should be lower for both teams. Their fan base should be pumped being televised. Purdue needs go out prepared to weather a furious couple of quarters, then pound the rock at them and take the game away in the 3rd quarter or it could be a nail biter at the finish. If Purdue thinks we can go out and chuck the ball all around and let Rondale go crazy, it could be closer than we all want it to be. I honestly don't think Purdue, Brohm & staff will let that happen, but I also didn't think that Auburn would bury us like we saw in the Music City Bowl either. My prediction Purdue 35 Nevada 28. Early season scoring due to defenses trying to work out the kinks.
I keep my fingers crossed that Lorenzo Neal will be as ready as the 7/21 article/interview at Big Ten Media days indicated. The ACL issues seem to heal differently on each individual person. Our defense will likely go as far as Lorenzo Neal can take us.

They are a good team, albeit with a somewhat weak schedule, and they want very badly to bring Purdue down. This would be a statement game for their program. Purdue better be ready to compete.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
They are a good team, albeit with a somewhat weak schedule, and they want very badly to bring Purdue down. This would be a statement game for their program. Purdue better be ready to compete.
Scary when all you have to do it get up for 1-2 big games a season...i.e. like Miami did for years. Better be ready is accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT