ADVERTISEMENT

3* WR sets visit.

OhioBoiler3

True Freshman
Oct 21, 2012
FL WR Kezio Snelling set to visit January 16th, obvious position where upgrades are needed. Us and Cincinnati are biggest offers.

I believe he tore his ACL early in the year - would be #3 of the class in that department if he were to commit

I know the name, we've been on him for awhile correct? I thought maybe at one point he was close to committing?

Originally posted by GoPeteGo:
Is it me or are the number of ACL injuries seemingly escalating at an amazing rate?
I've heard a lot of speculation that proliferation of field turf (most seem to think it's related to field being completely flat) and things like the shoes now leading to an increase in injury (shoes stick better, lighter, but have virtually no support anymore).

I have read the same article regarding the shoes and there seems to be one other theory in additional to the shoes and the field turf that all in part may be contributing to the number of both contact and non-contact ACL tears on the rise again in many sports!

Another thought has been the increase in the shear number of games in and out of season that a young athlete participates in while he or her body is still growing and developing....so many young athletes are picking and playing only one sport and are not getting the use of their body muscles and tendons in different ways while playing multiple sports, instead of the same one over and over!

The football regular season in some states is up to 13 or 14 games followed by the state play-offs. Texas will crown its Football champions this weekend and at many schools the entire first semester is over. Spring football will start again in some states, some with scrimmages against other schools and then the numerous passing leagues and championships begin and that are held in the two months the athlete is off from football during the summer!

Basketball teams in some states now play over 30 regular season games and then the state play- offs along with fall, spring and summer games that number in the 100 range. Baseball, Softball and volleyball are similar with huge numbers of AAU off season games being played once their high school seasons are over.

While one reason it not the cause, all do contribute to the shape of what an athletes body and how it develops and what it can take!

This post was edited on 12/17 12:02 PM by ghostoffatjack

Football injuries (ACL) and turf...

I believe the issue stems directly from the shoes, personally. When turf was first being used, we saw a lot of football players essentially using flat bottom shoes with little to no spikes on them. As the turf became closer modeled to grass, the shoes went with cleats and now cleats are probably not designed specifically for turf anymore.

I think a shorter spike needs to be used (cap a limit of 1/4 inch for turf and 1/2 for grass and we will see some of the injuries taper down. However, a lot of the recent injuries we are seeing have to do more with awkward hits and contact, IMO.

I had thought most players liked the new turfs used vs grass.
But in Burke's last presa conf., they said grass was 'safer'.
I thought it was the opposite until now
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BoilerBiker:
I had thought most players liked the new turfs used vs grass.
But in Burke's last presa conf., they said grass was 'safer'.
I thought it was the opposite until now
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Burke's comments were in regard to the lawsuit filed claiming that the crumb rubber used led to abnormal rates of cancer.

No, not true.

Originally posted by JohnnyDoeBoiler:
I believe the issue stems directly from the shoes, personally. When turf was first being used, we saw a lot of football players essentially using flat bottom shoes with little to no spikes on them. As the turf became closer modeled to grass, the shoes went with cleats and now cleats are probably not designed specifically for turf anymore.

I think a shorter spike needs to be used (cap a limit of 1/4 inch for turf and 1/2 for grass and we will see some of the injuries taper down. However, a lot of the recent injuries we are seeing have to do more with awkward hits and contact, IMO.
That's just not true, JohnnnyDoe.

When Astroturf was booming, "turf shoes" were all the rage. They had spikes, and it didn't take long for many football players to begin using "spikeless" shoes like basketball shoes, in order to avoid anchoring their feet and causing career ending knee injuries.

With today's turf, which is deeper, stronger, with the "pellets", players are going back to spikes, which makes no sense.

I do believe it's the wear and tear on the body from playing FB year round, along with other factors like the turf. But, what the h*ll do I know. It's all speculation ... for anyone.

If my memory is working right over the past decade of ACL injuries, I feel the majority, if not all, of the non-contact ACL injuries have occurred during practice which is often on field turf.

My belief of the increase of ACL injury is do to training focused more on strength, speed, power and less on stability and control.

We need every reciever we can get maybe he is a little under the radar because of his knee injury and he could suprise people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT