ADVERTISEMENT

2026 Offer Gabe Sularski

Flot

All-American
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Left hander, excellent playmaker and comes from a defense focussed high school coach/team. He obviously needs to stop wearing red and white warm-up pants. Would love to get this kid, but Illinois a big threat. Thoughts?

Nice breakdown of the prospect (long):

I can possibly get a little Intel on Gabe as I went to Benet and my son is a junior there now. Also where Frank Kaminsky went. I talked to a dad of a former basketball player, now at DePauw, and he was recommending pumping the breaks on Gabe a bit, but then again he is only a sophomore.

I hope to get to a game but probably more likely next season. Benet is excellent, something like 15-3 and ranked in the top 10 in Chicagoland. All their losses are to other top 10 teams.

I think there's even one more, or maybe he almost went to Iowa, but I didn't remember the names other than Freeman off the top of my head.
Yeah they mention at least once on the broadcast they played together in HS (Harding and Freeman)

Izzo going to even be at MSU in 2026?!
I know Painter doesn't recruit saying negative things about other coaches but if he did, I would splice all the videos of him saying "I got to go back and figure out how to get Xavier Booker more minutes". Then show it to them and say replace Booker with your name....close the video of JJJ crying on the bench when they got bounced a few years ago in the tourney and show his stat line from that game....it is criminal how Izzo can't figure out how to use talented kids

I know Painter doesn't recruit saying negative things about other coaches but if he did, I would splice all the videos of him saying "I got to go back and figure out how to get Xavier Booker more minutes". Then show it to them and say replace Booker with your name....close the video of JJJ crying on the bench when they got bounced a few years ago in the tourney and show his stat line from that game....it is criminal how Izzo can't figure out how to use talented kids
Kind of like IU. They always have talent but they have been bad for a while.

Many knuckleheads have been clamoring for paint to give more mins to Colvin an heide.

If you ask some of our fans, they say Loyer stinks too.
He does except when he doesn’t. Maddy stinks except when he is in the bench. Kohler and Cooper show flashes but nothing compared to Fletch when he is on.

the kid doesn't stink but do you think he's been playing good this month?
I wish he was consistently scoring 27 points every game. What's wrong with him?

Seriously, Edey will be 2X POY because he consistently produces every single game. No other player in the nation is doing what he is doing. What other Purdue player is consistently producing every game?

Look at his numbers across the season. Turnovers and points are not consistent. It's no secret he passes up shots he should take. Also, watch his defense. Some games he's on, some he's off. Really bad defensive game most recently against UM.
He’s produced in every game this year, maybe not in every category but he’s always been a catalyst when he’s out there.

the kid doesn't stink but do you think he's been playing good this month?

He stinks on D. Woeful. That has been consistent most of the season save a game or 2.

His shot has been AWOL the last 9-10 games, but he does other things offensively. When he is 0-fer to start a game, coaches give Heide a shot. On Heide to make the most of it.

Look at his numbers across the season. Turnovers and points are not consistent. It's no secret he passes up shots he should take. Also, watch his defense. Some games he's on, some he's off. Really bad defensive game most recently against UM.

You can rag him on high TO games. Yes a game or two his D is poor. Michigan's PG has made alot of people look bad this year.

But offensively he is a catalyst via movement, assists and scoring. He either scored or assists every game....or both. That is consistent.

Trying not to rag on anyone, and that's the point. It's easy to pick out a game or stretch of games where a player's numbers are down. Bench them all when they don't hit some imaginary target in the stat-of-choice?

Several posters here (you may be one) correctly point out that Loyer serves as decoy, requiring attention from the defense, giving Zach more 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 opportunities. Since it doesn't show up in the box score, some people dismiss it. In the same way, you could dismiss those saying Smith serves as a catalyst when his numbers are down.

Some people are still dying from last year's early NCAA exit. They don't want a repeat. Lower showed up and Smith didn't.

This year, Loyer is the best Purdue has at that spot. As you stated in another post, he delivers more than just scoring when he is in the game. Purdue will not be as good if he doesn't get his MOJO back. Right now, you know what you are getting from him, and you know that he may explode at any moment. But in this final stretch, Purdue could really struggle if you replace him. They've got to let him work himself out of his slump.

I can possibly get a little Intel on Gabe as I went to Benet and my son is a junior there now. Also where Frank Kaminsky went. I talked to a dad of a former basketball player, now at DePauw, and he was recommending pumping the breaks on Gabe a bit, but then again he is only a sophomore.

I hope to get to a game but probably more likely next season. Benet is excellent, something like 15-3 and ranked in the top 10 in Chicagoland. All their losses are to other top 10 teams.

Left hander, excellent playmaker and comes from a defense focussed high school coach/team. He obviously needs to stop wearing red and white warm-up pants. Would love to get this kid, but Illinois a big threat. Thoughts?

Nice breakdown of the prospect (long):

This is a decent breakdown, but this was earlier in the season. Wish they did a breakdown of some of the bigger games he’s had.

Reactions: Flot

I’ve seen this kid play in three big games this year. Dude had at least 30 against Curie (the number 2 ranked team in Illinois) in a double overtime loss. He almost pulled this one off single-handedly. Then I saw him play against Normal Community (top 10 team in Illinois); he had to have around 30 points this game also, but this is where his playmaking ability really stood out to me. If his teammates would’ve made some shots, they would’ve blew Normal out the gym and he for sure would have finished with 10+ assist to go along with his 30 points. Luckily, Benet ended up winning because he got to the free-throw line with a few seconds left in the game. This was an epic one. Finally, I caught his last game versus Bolingbrook in the playoffs earlier this week. Benet got blown out, but this kid was the best player on the court easily. Think he had around 27 points in this game. Benet got into it deep hole by the half, and just could not dig themselves out. The kid was playing well, but again his teammates just weren’t hitting shots. Just one of those nights. All in all, the kid isn’t perfect because he’s obviously a sophomore, but I’ll tell you something; when it’s all said, and done; I could see him being a top 10 player in the country. You just can’t find that size, high-level shot making ability, and passing ability

Trying not to rag on anyone, and that's the point. It's easy to pick out a game or stretch of games where a player's numbers are down. Bench them all when they don't hit some imaginary target in the stat-of-choice?

Several posters here (you may be one) correctly point out that Loyer serves as decoy, requiring attention from the defense, giving Zach more 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 opportunities. Since it doesn't show up in the box score, some people dismiss it. In the same way, you could dismiss those saying Smith serves as a catalyst when his numbers are down.

Some people are still dying from last year's early NCAA exit. They don't want a repeat. Lower showed up and Smith didn't.

This year, Loyer is the best Purdue has at that spot. As you stated in another post, he delivers more than just scoring when he is in the game. Purdue will not be as good if he doesn't get his MOJO back. Right now, you know what you are getting from him, and you know that he may explode at any moment. But in this final stretch, Purdue could really struggle if you replace him. They've got to let him work himself out of his slump.
Good post. I think he just needs to see a few go in and get into his rhythm come tourney time. He has shown the potential to light it up and he has the ability. Hoping that the next few he finds it and carries it into the tourney.

He’s produced in every game this year, maybe not in every category but he’s always been a catalyst when he’s out there.
He’s had some slip-ups this year, but he’s putting up Magic Johnson numbers so I forgive him. He’s more than a catalyst out there. He’s completely dictating his game plan depending on what defenses are doing. His lay-ups and pop up jumpers have been a very nice addition to his game. He’s is a stud.

The problem is that when Braden has a game that isn't as good as usual he is still the most important player not named Zach. Any error he has is easily seen whereas a poor screen, poor cut, over helping, not helping enough, failure to board enough in others is rarely seen. Those things are not as easily seen as a pass that got intercepted that can be due to something other than a pass at times. He is such a key to the success who probably has the most pressure within a "team" that we just need an excellent game from him every time out and yet he too is human...

It’s beginning to look like a trend when Loyer struggles offensively later in the season. I just don’t have the confidence some have that he will break out for more than one game. Most certainly hope to be wrong.

Reactions: Poprudy
It’s beginning to look like a trend when Loyer struggles offensively later in the season. I just don’t have the confidence some have that he will break out for more than one game. Most certainly hope to be wrong.
Not sure how it qualifies as a trend. He's in his 2nd year, so we only have 2 data points to work with. And he was only 1 of 2 players who showed up in the NCAA tournament game last year.

Reactions: drewjin
Not sure how it qualifies as a trend. He's in his 2nd year, so we only have 2 data points to work with. And he was only 1 of 2 players who showed up in the NCAA tournament game last year.
I think after almost 50% of your basketball career at Purdue you can establish a trend.

I do think we need him to be aggressive for Purdue to look like the team that has beat teams like Marquette, Tennessee, AZ and Illinois. That's the Fletch I hope to regain.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I think after almost 50% of your basketball career at Purdue you can establish a trend.

I do think we need him to be aggressive for Purdue to look like the team that has beat teams like Marquette, Tennessee, AZ and Illinois. That's the Fletch I hope to regain.
Having monitored and modeled trends my entire career, this definition doesn't hold. And it implies that his 3rd and 4th year will be progressively worse.

I agree 100% with your 2nd paragraph.

Ok back to the initial subject of the post. Any feedback anywhere about his visit? Sightings with the team? Gabe would appear to be a priority in recruiting for 26

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT