ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Tournament Gonzaga vs. Purdue MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

There were some upsets last night. I wonder that ever is a factor in helping teams the following day to focus more on winning. I don't know if coaches ever bring that up on pre-games. "If it can happen to so and so, it can happen to us!"

Thoughts?

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Tonight from Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, it's the Midwest Regional Semi-Final round matching the #5-seed, #18-ranked Gonzaga Bulldogs (27-7, 2-0) and the #1-seed, #3-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (31-4, 2-0). Tip is scheduled for approximately 7:39 pm (Eastern time) with television coverage on TBS/truTV. The winner advances to Sunday's Midwest Regional Final to take on the winner of #3-seed Creighton and #2-seed Tennessee, which follows this game.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Gonzaga - Ben Gregg, Graham Ike, Anton Watson, Nolan Hickman, and Ryan Nembhard

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Gonzaga advanced the first weekend with an opening round win over #12-seed, McNeese State, 86-65 and then impressively overwhelming #4-seed Kansas in the second round, 89-68. Impressively, this is Gonzaga's 9th straight trip to the second weekend of NCAA tournament play in as many tournaments. Purdue dispatched #16-seed, Grambling State, 78-50 and then rolled past #8-seed, Utah State, 106-67. This is the second meeting this year between the two schools. They met in the Maui Invitational on November 20 with Purdue pulling away in the second half to win 73-63. Purdue and Gonzaga also met last season in a Thanksgiving Holiday Tournament in Portland with Purdue winning. Their only meeting in the NCAA Tournament came in this same round in the 2000 NCAA Tournament West Region - Gene Keady's Boilermakers prevailed, 75-66, in Mark Few's first season as Gonzaga's head coach.

Gonzaga comes into this contest playing some of its best basketball of the season - and the Bulldogs won for the 11th time in their last 12 games as they blitzed fourth-seeded Kansas in the second half of their matchup. Gonzaga trailed by one with 18:27 to play before going on an 18-2 run that put them up 66-51 with 13:23 remaining. Gonzaga never let Kansas closer than 13 again, outscoring the Jayhawks 32-4 over a 12-minute span to roll to the victory. The Bulldogs shot 60.3% from the field, including eight of 15 from three-point range, and held Kansas to 38.6% shooting in the game. Anton Watson led the way with 21 points and six rebounds in the win.

Gonzaga is currently 12th overall in the KenPom ratings - 7th with adjusted offense and 44th with adjusted defense. They are well within the top third with adjusted tempo at 86th. The Bulldogs' offense puts up an average of 85 points per game, which is 7th in the nation. Gonzaga collects 39.7 rebounds per contest (37th) and dishes out 16.8 assists per night on the year. The Bulldogs are 84th in scoring defense by allowing 68.8 points a night.

Leading Gonzaga is 6-foot-9 junior Graham Ike, who averages team bests 16.4 points and 7.3 rebounds. Anton Watson (14.5 points, 7.2 rebounds), Nolan Hickman (13.9 points, 2.7 assists) and Ryan Nembhard (12.6 points, four rebounds, 6.9 assists) are all additional good scoring options. Braden Huff is fifth on the Bulldogs in scoring as he puts up 9.5 points and 3.5 rebounds per game this season. Dusty Stromer (whom Ben Gregg replaced in the starting line-up), along with Ben Gregg are solid contributors. Gonzaga is shooting 51.9% from the field as a team this season, which is 2nd in the country. The Bulldogs are averaging seven three-pointers a night on 36.2% shooting from beyond the arc.

Both teams have looked sharp in their first two games in the tournament, but only one team can advance. The competition steps up each round. In the earlier contest this season, both teams struggled with turnovers and shooting from distance. Don't expect that to be the case this evening, but if one team struggles in those areas, they will likely be headed home.

Gonzaga can match-up with Purdue and Zach Edey better than most teams, although expect the Boilers to still try and establish his presence in the paint and work inside-out. Some wild cards for Purdue are if Fletcher Loyer can continue his good play down the stretch and if Purdue has found some extra key contributing depth with Camden Heide and Myles Colvin. Purdue sure could use contributions from them on both ends of the floor, as Lance Jones will likely be challenged with the task of slowing down Anton Watson.

This game looks to be very competitive and likely within a possession or two either way. And, this game also more than any other during the season perhaps hinges on Purdue's level of execution - do they limit the turnovers and second chance opportunities? Can they continue to work the advantages with Zach Edey and knock down the other opportunities they get? Can they close from the FT line?

The winner will have earned it and takes another huge step and advances to Sunday's Regional Final game. Can the Boilers play with the energy, effort, and poise needed to prevail over a very good Gonzaga team?

We shall see, starting in a couple of hours or so.

Boiler up, my friends......

i
i

How does Purdue keep Z in the paint & not on perimeter trying to guard the P&R.....which he can't do & might foul.
One of the keys.

There were some upsets last night. I wonder that ever is a factor in helping teams the following day to focus more on winning. I don't know if coaches ever bring that up on pre-games. "If it can happen to so and so, it can happen to us!"

Thoughts?
That’s a good point. I would assume the guys watched the games as fans of the game. Lot of lessons to take from Arizona and UNC going full hero ball down the stretch. Can’t win games that way.

How does Purdue keep Z in the paint & not on perimeter trying to guard the P&R.....which he can't do & might foul.
One of the keys.
I think you have to be willing to give up a few three point attempts from their bigs to save Edey from both possible foul trouble as well as well the exertion required to guard someone on the perimeter and the loss of Edey's rim protecting and rebounding.

I think and hope that our just seeing this attempt against USU with two bigs helped us prepare for it.

I think you have to be willing to give up a few three point attempts from their bigs to save Edey from both possible foul trouble as well as well the exertion required to guard someone on the perimeter and the loss of Edey's rim protecting and rebounding.

I think and hope that our just seeing this attempt against USU with two bigs helped us prepare for it.

Agree. Edey needs to be underneath. Worried me vs USU out there on the perimeter early.

Let me guess, he is picking the Zags to win tonight?

Lol. Not sure? Did here him say Nembhard would have a bunch, over a dozen? assists tonight. But I think he will keep picking against Purdue every game. It's his thing. Keep proving him wrong.

Last edited:
That’s a good point. I would assume the guys watched the games as fans of the game. Lot of lessons to take from Arizona and UNC going full hero ball down the stretch. Can’t win games that way.

The early shot clock 3-ptr from Withers up one with about a minute left was North Carolina's beginning of the end.....they had scored eight straight to go up three, including getting to the FT line.....

Nelson was the big difference down the stretch. Even after he misses two FT's under 2 seconds, he blocks Ingram's desperation heave to seal it.

For AZ - live by the three.....Caleb Love 5/18 (0-9).....yikes.....wrong time for that, obviously.

Boilers need to trust it - and stay focused......toughest game of the season right here, tonight.

The early shot clock 3-ptr from Withers up one with about a minute left was North Carolina's beginning of the end.....they had scored eight straight to go up three, including getting to the FT line.....

Nelson was the big difference down the stretch. Even after he misses two FT's under 2 seconds, he blocks Ingram's desperation heave to seal it.

For AZ - live by the three.....Caleb Love 5/18 (0-9).....yikes.....wrong time for that, obviously.

Boilers need to trust it - and stay focused......toughest game of the season right here, tonight.
my brother recently became friends w/ an ex U of A player, about a month ago he was a guest to hang w/ the team and was amazed by no team leader and no chemistry

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Thoughts?
These kids seem pretty well focused and hope they balance that with the pressure they have

My head say Purdue wins fairly easily.

My amygdala says KSU, Duke, Virginia...

Stupid sexy amygdala
I think this will be a street fight. The last minute of the game, the victor will pull away by 5.

My head and heart say Purdue.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
I think this will be a street fight. The last minute of the game, the victor will pull away by 5.

My head and heart say Purdue.
Purdue should win in a street fight if both ways. Washington has a lot of safe places... ;)

Last edited:
Need to hit our FTs, limit turnovers, and hit our 3s and the good guys win tonight
If they do ALL that, yes Purdue will win. I'm curious if they go to Trey, Zach or set up Braden for a drive the first possession

My wife’s exact words “what an idiot”. Couldn’t agree me babe. Hats off the Alabama and especially Nelson, huge down the stretch to close it out.

If they do ALL that, yes Purdue will win. I'm curious if they go to Trey, Zach or set up Braden for a drive the first possession
I’m leaning to Trey although I can understand Braden. Course if Zach is all alone

He said Nembhard having 236 assists in a single season is "staggering"...Braden Smith has 256 this season.

Oddly enough Kolek also has 236.

Thought it was near the tech center palm??? You are correct and I can’t think of the high tech area in California

Gonzaga is located in Spokane.

Silicon Valley in California is essentially South of San Francisco to San Jose - Palo Alto (Stanford), Menlo Park, Redwood City, Mountain View, and a few other communities.

Reactions: tjreese
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT