ADVERTISEMENT

2017, 2018 & 2019 All-Big Ten 1st Team Offense - high school recruiting rankings

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
Trying to keep sanity, I thought it would be fun to compile the list for observation and comment of the 247 composite high school recruiting ranking. Thoughts?

2019 First Team Offense All-Big Ten

QB - .9998 Justin Fields (Ohio State)
RB - .9791 JK Dobbins (Ohio State)
RB - .8854 Jonathan Taylor (Wisconsin)
WR - .8914 Rashod Bateman (Minnesota)
WR - .8643 Tyler Johnson (Minnesota)
C - .8405 Tyler Biadasz (Wisconsin)
G - .9799 Ben Bredeson (Michigan)
G - .8135 Jonah Jackson (Ohio State)
T - .8911 Tristan Wirfs (Iowa)
T - .8402 Jon Runyan Jr. (Michigan)
TE - .8027 Brycen Hopkins (Purdue)

2018 First Team Offense All-Big Ten

QB - .9561 Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State)
RB - .8715 Karan Higdon (Michigan)
WR - .9123 Rondale Moore (Purdue)
WR - .9389 Parris Campbell (Ohio State)
C - .8405 Tyler Biadasz (Wisconsin)
G - .8328 Michael Deiter (Wisconsin)
G - .8144 Beau Benzschawel (Wisconsin)
T - .8402 Jon Runyan Jr. (Michigan)
T - .9533 Isaiah Prince (Ohio State)
TE - .8665 Noah Fant (Iowa)

2017 First Team Offense All-Big Ten

QB - .9380 JT Barrett (Ohio State)
RB - .9459 Saquon Barkley (Penn State)
WR - .8421 Simmie Cobbs Jr (Indiana)
WR - .8872 DJ Moore (Maryland)
C - .9165 Billy Price (Ohio State)
G - .9411 Michael Jordan (Ohio State)
G - .8144 Beau Benzschawel (Wisconsin)
T - .9708 Jamarco Jones (Ohio State)
T - .8328 Michael Deiter (Wisconsin)
TE - .8209 Troy Fumagalli (Wisconsin)

In summary, positions with recruiting rankings => ~.9000, aka 4 star recruits
QB - (3/3)
RB - (2/6)
WR - (2/6)
C - (1/3)
G - (2/6)
T - (2/6)
TE - (0/3)
Overall (12/31)

Last edited:
5/15 offensive linemen fell in that category and were some of the lower rated players. Gives some hope for the linemen Brohm has recruited. I actually think he has brought in some good talent. They are just young and need to develop. Another thing that sticks out is Brycen Hopkins is the lowest ranked player of all three years and is arguably the best TE in the B1G

5/15 offensive linemen fell in that category and were some of the lower rated players. Gives some hope for the linemen Brohm has recruited. I actually think he has brought in some good talent. They are just young and need to develop. Another thing that sticks out is Brycen Hopkins is the lowest ranked player of all three years and is arguably the best TE in the B1G
Weird. Ive been told by Wole that only 4 star linemen can hold up.

Really interesting topic!

I'm not surprised that the 1st team skill position players tend to be at the 4* level and not surprised that the linemen trend lower, probably because there are fewer 4 & 5* linemen each year. You're generally recruiting frame and "good" weight.

I'm very surprised that the TE rankings don't seem to mean as much because I consider it to be more of a skill position than line position these days.

I'd be interested to see this compared to what's been recruited into the B1G. Like, were there a bunch of 4* linemen and TEs that got jumped by lower ranked kids?

I'm not surprised that the 1st team skill position players tend to be at the 4* level and not surprised that the linemen trend lower, probably because there are fewer 4 & 5* linemen each year. You're generally recruiting frame and "good" weight.

I'm very surprised that the TE rankings don't seem to mean as much because I consider it to be more of a skill position than line position these days.

I'd be interested to see this compared to what's been recruited into the B1G. Like, were there a bunch of 4* linemen and TEs that got jumped by lower ranked kids?
Just a theory... but maybe some TEs come in as undersized athletes, like Hopkins and Dustin Keller for example, then develop over 4 or 5 years?

Reactions: Purdue85
Just a theory... but maybe some TEs come in as undersized athletes, like Hopkins and Dustin Keller for example, then develop over 4 or 5 years?

That's about as good a theory as there is. I'd have to go through the ol' memory banks (or at least the internet), but I'd be willing to hazard a guess that there were a lot more NFL TEs that were all-state HS receivers (e.g., Keller) that had a good frame and could put on weight vs. kids pegged at TE from jump street.

I used 247 2019 composite scores and team rosters for these numbers. Offensive lineman who are 4 stars.

Wisconsin 4, Penn St 8, Ohio St 8,
Nebraska 4, Minnesota 2, Michigan 10,
Michigan St 1, Maryland 5, Iowa 4, Illinois 2

Total of 48 - 4 star lineman on BIG10 2019 rosters. Adjusting for Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St only playing 5, the total goes down to 37.

14 teams x 5 starters per team = 70 starters

Worst case 37/70 positions “should be” occupied by 4 star lineman or 52%. The 1st team all BIG10 3 year average = 33%.

Surprising finds: 1) Penn St doesn’t have a 1st team nominee but has the second most 4 star lineman and 2) the overall ratio seems lower than it should be.

Last edited:
Redshirt players accounted for 3 of 5 first team offensive lineman in 2019 and ALL 5 in 2018.

In my search I also found an article that stated Wirfs was the first freshman tackle that Ferentz did not redshirt in 21 years!

I used 247 2019 composite scores and team rosters for these numbers. Offensive lineman who are 4 stars.

Wisconsin 4, Penn St 8, Ohio St 8,
Nebraska 4, Minnesota 2, Michigan 10,
Michigan St 1, Maryland 5, Iowa 4, Illinois 2

Total of 48 - 4 star lineman on BIG10 2019 rosters. Adjusting for Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St only playing 5, the total goes down to 37.

14 teams x 5 starters per team = 70 starters

Worst case 37/70 positions “should be” occupied by 4 star lineman or 52%. The 1st team all BIG10 3 year average = 33%.

Surprising finds: 1) Penn St doesn’t have a 1st team nominee but has the second most 4 star lineman and 2) the overall ratio seems lower than it should be.

Now this is the kind of stat-driven discussion that makes quarantining worth it!

I'd like to contribute that I think we should weigh the number of 4* linemen a little bit. Generally, even a 4* is probably not equipped to be a day-1 4-year starter. So, I'll assume that most 4* are either 2 or 3 year starters at most schools outside of the Big 3.

So, if we say:
-3 year starters, then we should have 27.75/70. or 39.6%
-2.5 year starters, then we should have 23.125/70. or 33%
-2 year starters, then we should have 18.5/70. or 26.4%

If most 4 stars end up averaging to be 2.5 year starters, then it half way pans out. If most are 3 year starters, then it's certainly an under-represented group.

I'm still of the mindset that outside of some freak athlete at an OL position, I'd rather recruit lean kids with the right frame & athleticism and assume S&C can bulk them up after a couple of years. I think we're seeing that more and more with retired NFL OL (like Joe Thomas & Jeff Saturday) where they retire, stop working to keep their weight up, and they end up shedding tons of weight.

I'm still of the mindset that outside of some freak athlete at an OL position, I'd rather recruit lean kids with the right frame & athleticism and assume S&C can bulk them up after a couple of years. I think we're seeing that more and more with retired NFL OL (like Joe Thomas & Jeff Saturday) where they retire, stop working to keep their weight up, and they end up shedding tons of weight.
Hardwick lost a ton of weight too.

Problem with the lean athletic kids, they cant always gain mass. We have a couple that are struggling.

Reactions: Purdue85
And the dilemma is, our offense arguably favors (requires?) mobile linemen.
It was, although i wander if he will modify his offense to allow for more power running. He is recruiting some big backs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT