ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey draft stock

Who will he gaurd at the next level? The pro game is about switching defensive assignments...That FDU game had him on the perimeter and he was taken advantage of

Zach improved his quickness this last year, but he isn't quick. ;) If he returns, I hope Matt quits doubling the post all the time. No data, but suspect that doubling the post is the first or second most costly D Purdue does. Part of Matt doubling is that it protects his 5 that he depends on for offense, but now you are in rotations and giving up easier drives and shots. I would like to see Matt let him early, especially play straight up...learn...make mistakes and grow while still winning.

You don't really want him out at the arc, but can he play straight up at 18 or so? Purdue used him to contest guards and yet recover on his man by putting him in drop coverage which sometimes was fine and other times not. The dilemma is whether Zach doesn't have to be in drop...which I don't now. I do know that if you provide space, a player can get going downhill and make it tough to contain whereas if you are close enough the speed isn't there and just a question if the offensive player can sell a foul or not....or hook Zach to get around. Whatever happens with Zach...I would love to see some different play, if possible rather than just subbing for Zach if he stays and if not...different usage of the Trey/Caleb/Berg
If Edey stays I’d decrease his minutes a bit, it would help keep him fresh and help with minute distribution with players the Boilers hopefully keep. I’d move Renn to the 4 (that’s what he prefers) and I’d have Furst back up both, Berg unfortunately is the odd man out unless he’s that good next season. 0f the 80 minutes, thinking Edey 25ish, Furst and Renn each in the 20 range, that gives an additional 15 minutes for Gillis and Berg, Gillis probably plays a little at the 3 as well. I really don’t see a role for both Newman or Morton considering Heide and Colvin are coming in, guessing a player or two leaves.

Who will he gaurd at the next level? The pro game is about switching defensive assignments...That FDU game had him on the perimeter and he was taken advantage of
That’s why a lot of NBA teams wouldn’t draft him, no matter what his offensive game looks like.

Reactions: Dryfly88
That’s why a lot of NBA teams wouldn’t draft him, no matter what his offensive game looks like.
The only guy in the NBA that u can compare him too is Gorbert...And Gorbert has much more length and quickness...But Gorbert rarely if ever scores away from the basket

The only guy in the NBA that u can compare him too is Gorbert...And Gorbert has much more length and quickness...But Gorbert rarely if ever scores away from the basket
Gobert is probably the closest comparison in terms of how Edey would be utilized in the NBA for sure, but unfortunately, Gobert is WAY more athletic than Edey...has great closing/closeout speed, and does not suffer the same issues on D that Edey does. Gobert is a beast.

Geez, tell me you guys don't watch the NBA without telling you don't watch the NBA. 3X DPOY and current signee of a $205 million supermax contract is not Edey's comp... He should be compared to Isaiah Hartenstein, Ivica Zubac and Mike Muscala, not a perennial All-Star

Geez, tell me you guys don't watch the NBA without telling you don't watch the NBA. 3X DPOY and current signee of a $205 million supermax contract is not Edey's comp... He should be compared to Isaiah Hartenstein, Ivica Zubac and Mike Muscala, not a perennial All-Star
I watch plenty of NBA games and my comparison is that of a player that never shoots more than 2 feet from the basket...Zach has never taken a 3 point shot in college and I'm not sure even a jump shot...All of those guys you mentioned have at least attempted a jump shot....And 2 of them attempt over 2 3's a game...

I think he should be allowed to shoot face up jumpers next season. Knock them down from 10-15 feet and make defenders step out to guard him. If he can do that, then there's no more excuse for GMs to pass him over.
He can not guard outside the paint, that doesn't play in NBA.

If Edey stays I’d decrease his minutes a bit, it would help keep him fresh and help with minute distribution with players the Boilers hopefully keep. I’d move Renn to the 4 (that’s what he prefers) and I’d have Furst back up both, Berg unfortunately is the odd man out unless he’s that good next season. 0f the 80 minutes, thinking Edey 25ish, Furst and Renn each in the 20 range, that gives an additional 15 minutes for Gillis and Berg, Gillis probably plays a little at the 3 as well. I really don’t see a role for both Newman or Morton considering Heide and Colvin are coming in, guessing a player or two leaves.
This is truly a great post! I would take Newman over Morton.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

Agree with all.....except one thing you don't understand, coach LOVES him some Morton! Lol

I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a first rounder. But getting drafted high enough in the 2nd round to receive a guaranteed contract seems like a very realistic goal. He was definitely trending that way before the tournament.
I think if Edey can learn to goto the left he will be less predictable and harder to guard. He could also learn how to shoot something other than hooks and dunks. He has only had 6 years of organized instruction another year will be superbly beneficial for his growth.

I think if Edey can learn to goto the left he will be less predictable and harder to guard. He could also learn how to shoot something other than hooks and dunks. He has only had 6 years of organized instruction another year will be superbly beneficial for his growth.
His dropstep to the left hand is awesome. He just doesn't do it enough

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT