ADVERTISEMENT

Your thoughts on Purdue's first offensive play of the game

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
So the season is just (not close enough for me) days away so I have a question for you play callers out there. After the kick is done and our offense takes the field, what do you see as our first series of plays?

Here is my take
1st play - run
2nd play - pass
3rd play - pass for TD
4th play - kick for one

Perhaps I'm bit too optimistic but I do feel, with a decent O line, we should be affective at moving the ball down the field against Iowa.

So the season is just (not close enough for me) days away so I have a question for you play callers out there. After the kick is done and our offense takes the field, what do you see as our first series of plays?

Here is my take
1st play - run
2nd play - pass
3rd play - pass for TD
4th play - kick for one

Perhaps I'm bit too optimistic but I do feel, with a decent O line, we should be affective at moving the ball down the field against Iowa.
This is not a first series, but I will call first play. Screen pass to Rondale and let him use his speed and jukes.

Reactions: boiler800

Here is my take
1st play - run
2nd play - pass
3rd play - pass for TD
4th play - kick for one

Rondale Moore on a jet sweep just to show "our most hated rival" that "he's back".

Reactions: boiler800
I would love to see Marcellus Moore showcase his blazing speed and run that kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown, also validating the new special teams coach.

Then later, on the first play from scrimage, some kind of pass for another long touchdown. Either a deep pass, or Rondale breaking several tackles to score ala OSU.

Nice wishes, I hope that they come true.

Reactions: Lifetimeboiler
All depends on who wins the toss. If Iowa has ball first, and we hold them to a punt, I could see us go play action deep ball. If we are behind after one series, We will prob quickly get the ball into Rondale's hands, a quick hitter. If we have ball first, see above. We will want to make a statement that HE is back! After that, Bell will really be a workhorse. In fact, I can see Bell leading us in receiving yards, while Rondale just impresses the heck out of us. Both need to stay healthy, obviously.

One thing that should be restated, I believe, is the absence of genuine fan noise in the stadium. A 75 yard catch and run will not have nearly the buzz in an empty stadium. The crowd had tons to do with us whipping OSU in '18. Will this affect play calling?

Reactions: Lifetimeboiler

Here is my take
1st play - run
2nd play - pass
3rd play - pass for TD
4th play - kick for one

As a coach, it depends on where we get the ball.

to Rondale - a short pass. to the side, and to allow him a chance to run with the ball.

Shotgun, four wide.

Bell, Moore, and Wright on right side.

Anderson on left split wide.

Plummer looks right to draw coverage, then throws left to Anderson who has beaten single coverage for 27 yards

I think we start out with a run or reverse, because everyone knows Purdue’s air game will be good and defenses will expect us to pass a lot. Take advantage of what they give us until they start respecting the run or leave a vulnerability in their secondary, then torch them later in the drive.

11 Personnel. Shot gun formation. Fake handoff, QB rolls right and fires to Bell for 7 yard gain.

I'll use a Joe Tiller line, "We're going to pass till we get hot, then we're going to pass some more." Do that enough and you go exploit weaknesses for the run later on.

I'll go with Rondale Moore cutting across the middle of field 10-12 yards deep and see what he can do with it one on one as he catches the ball. The 10-12 yarder could be a big gain anytime he touches the ball.

OR

A WR rub pick/route that breaks Moore open up the sideline for a TD. Go Big or Go Home! Nothing like hitting a home-run to open the game and it is rare to see.

Reactions: Purdue85
Two likely scenarios:

1: quick pass to the flat to Moore or Bell to get into a 2nd and medium/short opportunity to ensure the first drive of the year isn't a 3 and out

or

2: from the gun, an inside handoff to Doerue to try and establish a bit of a running game early on to open up the seams to the PA pass for Moore and the outside for Bell.

I'm thinking tight formation bringing in the backs/safeties and a hand off to Moore in motion for a 15 yard gain on the edge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT