ADVERTISEMENT

One of the Worst Series of Decisions I've Seen in Sometime

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
There have been a couple of head scratching in game coaching decisions throughout the season but the series of events at the end the first half takes the cake.

So we stop them near mid field with about 40 seconds left and call time out. I'm thinking okay, I'm not sure why we'd do that but it's fine.

They then punt the ball and down it at the two with thirty seconds left. Okay, they don't have any timeouts left so we take a knee and go into half time. Not only did we not take a knee we had a freshman quarterback throw a pass from his end zone into double coverage!!!!! For the life of me what was the point. Even if the pass was completed, we would have had the ball on the 20 with 20 seconds left in the half. Even Joe Tiller would have taken a knee with Drew Brees at QB.

Luckily, they missed their field goal attempt, but these types of decisions can and will cost us games in the future.

There have been a couple of head scratching in game coaching decisions throughout the season but the series of events at the end the first half takes the cake.

So we stop them near mid field with about 40 seconds left and call time out. I'm thinking okay, I'm not sure why we'd do that but it's fine.

They then punt the ball and down it at the two with thirty seconds left. Okay, they don't have any timeouts left so we take a knee and go into half time. Not only did we not take a knee we had a freshman quarterback throw a pass from his end zone into double coverage!!!!! For the life of me what was the point. Even if the pass was completed, we would have had the ball on the 20 with 20 seconds left in the half. Even Joe Tiller would have taken a knee with Drew Brees at QB.

Luckily, they missed their field goal attempt, but these types of decisions can and will cost us games in the future.
It’s gonna be fun when the team looks completely different. Although, with the schedule, a good season might be 5-7, but it will be fun to revisit a lot of the college coaches on here

It’s gonna be fun when the team looks completely different. Although, with the schedule, a good season might be 5-7, but it will be fun to revisit a lot of the college coaches on here
I'll bet if you check the archives, you'd find the same sentiments voiced by the pro-Hazzell crowd after season 1. Not saying Walters is Hazzell but nobody can accurately predict the future. If he makes a proactive move regarding OC, I'll think he's on the right path.

Reactions: Bippus33
I'll bet if you check the archives, you'd find the same sentiments voiced by the pro-Hazzell crowd after season 1. Not saying Walters is Hazzell but nobody can accurately predict the future. If he makes a proactive move regarding OC, I'll think he's on the right path.
You think Purdue is paying Harrell 2 mill for not coaching here?

You think Purdue is paying Harrell 2 mill for not coaching here?
yea, doesn't Harrell have a 2 yr contract? It was a bad play to call, nothing good can come from it, not enough time left, qb in his 1st game etc. Take a knee and get the hell off the field.

Reactions: Bippus33
yea, doesn't Harrell have a 2 yr contract? It was a bad play to call, nothing good can come from it, not enough time left, qb in his 1st game etc. Take a knee and get the hell off the field.
Harrell has two more years at about a million each. He’s not getting fired

It was as mindboggling a decision as I've every seen. I questioned the timeout in the first place. Then the punt is perfect of course, because we're Purdue. We should have lined up over center and pushed the quarterback forward and gone to halftime. But apparently it's against the rules to line up under center in this offense.

It was as mindboggling a decision as I've every seen. I questioned the timeout in the first place. Then the punt is perfect of course, because we're Purdue. We should have lined up over center and pushed the quarterback forward and gone to halftime. But apparently it's against the rules to line up under center in this offense.
Northwestern didn’t score

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT