ADVERTISEMENT

You guys need to hire a young energetic up and coming coach...

Mroad

All-American
Feb 3, 2005
How about the coach at Toledo or Western Michigan? I like the energy level of the guy at WMU....and he is recruiting very well in the MAC. Either that or you need Drew Brees to retire from the NFL soon and come back to Purdue...I bet he would be a great coach.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
How about the coach at Toledo or Western Michigan? I like the energy level of the guy at WMU....and he is recruiting very well in the MAC. Either that or you need Drew Brees to retire from the NFL soon and come back to Purdue...I bet he would be a great coach.
Fleck would be a good fit.

Our AD would hate him...so he won't get hired.

Purdue needs a good coach. Age and energy level don't matter. Hazell is young and energetic. He also happens to be a stooge.

I would laugh my ass off if Purdue hired another MAC flavor-of-the-month.

PJ Fleck = Tim Brewster
agree about Fleck but Campbell is the real deal or give Mike Norvell a shot.

images

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Brewster talked a good game but never recruited. Fleck could sell ice to an Eskimo.

We need that level of recruiting here to ever be good again.

I don't know about that. I recall looking at a Minnesota recruiting class under Brewster and being stunned at the way it looked on paper. There were an awful lot of stars there. I believe it was the class with Marqueis Gray. Seemed to me that he recruited well but was just not a great head coach.

Reactions: Hawk Supreme
I am not even concerned about stars. Just bring in some winners. All the guys we put in the NFL, very few were blue chippers. Kerrigan, Colvin, Ninkovich, Brees, Light. 2 and 3 star guys. Just bring in guys who have won (winners) and are willing to work. I want a guy with some innovation as a coach. A guy who knows how to make more with less.

I am not even concerned about stars. Just bring in some winners. All the guys we put in the NFL, very few were blue chippers. Kerrigan, Colvin, Ninkovich, Brees, Light. 2 and 3 star guys. Just bring in guys who have won (winners) and are willing to work. I want a guy with some innovation as a coach. A guy who knows how to make more with less.

You're kinda cherry picking.

First off, there's a difference between 2 stars and blue chippers (we've never gotten one - except maybe Kyle Williams?). Guys like Bernard Pollard, Stanford Keglar, Anthony Spencer, Cliff Avril, Ricardo Allen....were 3 star guys, but had offers from programs like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. Those are very solid recruits.

Most of our recruits now don't have Big Ten offers, even the 3 star guys. There's a big difference between a "low end" and "high end" 3 star recruit.

A lot of our NFL guys were pretty solid recruits. Yes, there were some that were not, but that happens everywhere. #1 Clemson has a WR who was a walk-on that starts as a redshirt freshmen. I don't think they're going to change their recruiting strategy to focus on walk-ons because they had a success with one though.

Brewster talked a good game but never recruited. Fleck could sell ice to an Eskimo.

We need that level of recruiting here to ever be good again.

Iowa has sucked at recruiting for 20 years, yet consistently has excellent football teams and puts a bunch of guys in the NFL.

Why?

Iowa has sucked at recruiting for 20 years, yet consistently has excellent football teams and puts a bunch of guys in the NFL.

Why?

Depends on your definition of sucked. Purdue's classes have been worse than yours.

You're kinda cherry picking.

First off, there's a difference between 2 stars and blue chippers (we've never gotten one - except maybe Kyle Williams?). Guys like Bernard Pollard, Stanford Keglar, Anthony Spencer, Cliff Avril, Ricardo Allen....were 3 star guys, but had offers from programs like Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Clemson, etc. Those are very solid recruits.

Most of our recruits now don't have Big Ten offers, even the 3 star guys. There's a big difference between a "low end" and "high end" 3 star recruit.

A lot of our NFL guys were pretty solid recruits. Yes, there were some that were not, but that happens everywhere. #1 Clemson has a WR who was a walk-on that starts as a redshirt freshmen. I don't think they're going to change their recruiting strategy to focus on walk-ons because they had a success with one though.
What other offers did Kwann Short, Ryan Kerrigan, Mike Neal, have? (thinking recently) All Indiana kids, none I remembered as a hotly contested battle. All are now playing in the league. It was not much if anything- Having a guy choose Purdue over Illinois or Indiana is not like having a kid choose us over Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc.

What other offers did Kwann Short, Ryan Kerrigan, Mike Neal, have? (thinking recently) All Indiana kids, none I remembered as a hotly contested battle. All are now playing in the league. It was not much if anything- Having a guy choose Purdue over Illinois or Indiana is not like having a kid choose us over Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc.

Kerrigan: http://sports.yahoo.com/lsu/football/recruiting/player-Ryan-Kerrigan-47994

Short: http://sports.yahoo.com/uga/football/recruiting/player-Kawann-Short-65579

Neal: http://sports.yahoo.com/ucf/football/recruiting/player-Michael-Neal-29923

I think this proves the poster who mentioned they all had high-major offers or interest. Short was looking at Michigan, Michigan State, and Indiana as well. That's a good list of suitors. Kerrigan would probably be the best fit in what you described as being overlooked...but he did get interest from Ohio State and Michigan.

Like I said, MOST of our NFL guys were pretty solid recruits. Not all. I understand what you're saying, but the players I mentioned had offers from solid programs - not just Indiana/Illinois. Ricardo Allen, for example, had offers from Arkansas, Clemson, Illinois, Louisville, Michigan, Ole Miss, UNC, South Carolina and West Virginia.

He was a 3 star recruit. Obviously you can also find 3 star recruits that have an offer from Purdue and Indiana, with the rest being lower-tier conference teams.

Hence my point of not all 3 stars are created equal. If you look at many of our 3 stars currently, most did not have very many P-5 offers (and typically lower-end programs), if any. So the difference between a recruit like that and a Ricardo Allen is pretty big.

We don't need to recruit blue chippers, we need to recruit solid caliber players. Not just someone who wants to work hard.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101

Why?
Excellent teams?? I have to say Iowa is playing way above their talent level this year. Iowa ceiling is a New Years day bowl and will NEVER make the CFB playoffs!!

Depends on your definition of sucked. Purdue's classes have been worse than yours.

I doubt significantly.

Iowa routinely ranks in the 40-50s in the Rivals rankings (this year's class is noticeably higher), and has regularly been 10-12 overall in the B1G.

Excellent teams?? I have to say Iowa is playing way above their talent level this year. Iowa ceiling is a New Years day bowl and will NEVER make the CFB playoffs!!

Without looking it up, I'm willing to bet anything that Iowa has more final AP Top 10 rankings in the last 20 years than Notre Dame does.

Edit: I lied. I looked it up, and I'm right. See you clowns in the Fiesta Bowl.

Without looking it up, I'm willing to bet anything that Iowa has more final AP Top 10 rankings in the last 20 years than Notre Dame does.

Any who cares about the Hillbilly Junior college in Iowa?? NO ONE and how many National championships??

ND would so dominate your team! Zero athletes on the field! You are beating up on horrible teams! USC would beat you guys by 21 and they are down this year!

I'm sure 95% of your players would rather play at ND and get a Real Degree so they don't get stuck living in Iowa the rest of their lives!!

I'm sure 95% of your players would rather play at ND and get a Real Degree so they don't get stuck living in Iowa the rest of their lives!!

In Iowa's defense, they do have plenty of more successful NFL players over the last 10-15 years. All I have to do is say Dallas Clark and everyone knows who that is and he is likely a HOF'er. Does ND have a shoe-in HOF'er in the last 10-15 years from their football program?

In Iowa's defense, they do have plenty of more successful NFL players over the last 10-15 years. All I have to do is say Dallas Clark and everyone knows who that is and he is likely a HOF'er. Does ND have a shoe-in HOF'er in the last 10-15 years from their football program?
Jerome Bettis and Tim Brown and 95% of ALL College players get real jobs!! Why don't you look at Graduation rates with Real degrees. A ND degree has way more clout than an Iowa Degree! Iowa has several players in the NFL and Ferentz is a great coach and he is in a comfort zone because there is NO pressure to win!! Get to a bowl game and you're God at Iowa!! You're in denial if you think that most of Iowa players would rather play at Iowa versus ND? More prestige, more exposure-nationwide TV every week and an Ivy Like degree!! NO BRAINER

Jerome Bettis and Tim Brown and 95% of ALL College players get real jobs!! Why don't you look at Graduation rates with Real degrees. A ND degree has way more clout than an Iowa Degree! Iowa has several players in the NFL and Ferentz is a great coach and he is in a comfort zone because there is NO pressure to win!! Get to a bowl game and you're God at Iowa!! You're in denial if you think that most of Iowa players would rather play at Iowa versus ND? More prestige, more exposure-nationwide TV every week and an Ivy Like degree!! NO BRAINER
A degree from Iowa has more value than no degree at all. I bet you know exactly what I'm talking about, right?

We've been much worse.

Look, you just need to quit now. Iowa only has a handful of guys starting or playing significant minutes on either side of the ball that had any Power 5 offers other than the one from us. Tons of walk-ons and guys with MAC offers only all over the 2 deeps. I can't remember the last time we got a TD or a turnover from anyone with more than a single P5 offer.

It's all about coaching and player development. Recruiting is the single most overrated aspect of modern day college football.

Any who cares about the Hillbilly Junior college in Iowa?? NO ONE and how many National championships??

The same number as you in the last 25 years, loser, and 1 less than you in the last 40.

Nebraska and Minnesota used to be really good at football, too. It's cute to see fans like you that constantly live in the past.

Notre Dame should not be 4th right now, either. I think Iowa would beat ND on a neutral field and with a month to prepare.

Notre Dame should not be 4th right now, either. I think Iowa would beat ND on a neutral field and with a month to prepare.
It depends how many staff members Coach Kelly can kill, how many more he can berate on the sideline, how many assaults he can look the other way on, and how many QBs he can get to transfer.

Dallas Clark will not be a HOFer. Dude had one "elite" season, and a 3 year span of being a very good player. If he's a HOFer, then Sterling Sharpe should get in twice.

I'd reach out to Matt Patricia... DC with the Patriots - 35 year old with a degree in Aeronautical Engineering and has been with the Patriots for 5 years. Reminds me of Matt Light

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT