ADVERTISEMENT

Yanni pushes back commitment date

I'm trying really hard not to be a negative Nancy about the state of our recruiting this year, but I don't see how this is good news for us.
The state of our recruiting? Add a couple 4 star guys and we are pretty much on par with previous years.

Add in that it's a messed up year, ratings are not accurate, and visits aren't allowed, and it's August 1st. Long way to go.

I just don't buy those excuses. Every other team is dealing with those same problems that we are.
What excuses? It's a small class for Purdue, so numbers wise, they aren't far off. They always take a couple scholarships to the end for flips. Ratings? 1. They aren't completely accurate and 2. Purdue is 2 4 stars aways from being as good as last year's class.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
What excuses? It's a small class for Purdue, so numbers wise, they aren't far off. They always take a couple scholarships to the end for flips. Ratings? 1. They aren't completely accurate and 2. Purdue is 2 4 stars aways from being as good as last year's class.
What do you mean what excuses? You just made three of them:

It's a messed up year
Ratings are not as accurate
Visits are not allowed

Every team is dealing with that. It's the same for every team. But is every team experiencing a drop-off? No. We are. Our average recruit is way down, the offers from other teams of our guys are less impressive, and we have already missed on more players we really wanted than we had at this point last year.

Two four stars away? Well, we're only linked to one four star, he's the literal brother of one of our stars, who is a local product, and yet we still can't nail him down, at least not yet. If anything, the fact that he can't visit anywhere should be working in our favor, since he knows our program via his brother in a way most every other recruit would not.

What do you mean what excuses? You just made three of them:

It's a messed up year
Ratings are not as accurate
Visits are not allowed

Every team is dealing with that. It's the same for every team. But is every team experiencing a drop-off? No. We are. Our average recruit is way down, the offers from other teams of our guys are less impressive, and we have already missed on more players we really wanted than we had at this point last year.

Two four stars away? Well, we're only linked to one four star, he's the literal brother of one of our stars, who is a local product, and yet we still can't nail him down, at least not yet. If anything, the fact that he can't visit anywhere should be working in our favor, since he knows our program via his brother in a way most every other recruit would not.
Yes. Because no other 4 stars in the Brohm era have ever come unexpectedly. Markese Irving is a 4 star by some metrics. Add in Yanni, Purdue is at a 3.1 average. How is that "down" and behind everyone else?

It may end up working out in our favor in the end, but that announcement seems to me that he just got a dream offer, or he wants to head out West to California or Oregon. I really hope I am wrong.

The 2022 QB commitment is huge. We’ve already got a huge one on the board. Let’s not get too worked up over Yanni just yet.

I’m sure we will whiff on some more guys and land some others.

Reactions: FearTheTrain
People are overly thinking this like the 18 yr olds decision. I wouldn't take anything from this and would think our chances are still at the top.

Dude, walk back from the ledge. Or maybe jump, I don't know. You are a negative Nancy, just like you were in the Sales thread...
I really don't like this forum. I post on forums for all my favorite sports teams, and nowhere are dissenting opinions consistently met with such hostility as on here. Here's a guy with more than 5,000 posts, who should be the cream of the crop, blasting me. Why?

Does anyone know of any place better? (I suppose if you did, you wouldn't be here.)

You can’t have it both ways. First you say the ratings are inaccurate. Then you say if we add a couple of 4 stars, we’ll be in great shape. If the ratings are inaccurate, then so are the stars you mention! I suspect with the fewer practices and spring games and potential school and sports closures, a lot of the players with 4 stars will be closer to 3 star performance. With that said, every college is going through this same thing. Other colleges seem to be doing quite well.

it’s interesting Yanni stating to wanted to visit other campuses before making a decision. Other campuses may open the year online. Delaying a decision is never a good sign. His brother was one of our early commitments and helped recruit others to come to Purdue. Taking a wait and see approach is not helping draw other recruits to Purdue.

I really don't like this forum. I post on forums for all my favorite sports teams, and nowhere are dissenting opinions consistently met with such hostility as on here. Here's a guy with more than 5,000 posts, who should be the cream of the crop, blasting me. Why?

Does anyone know of any place better? (I suppose if you did, you wouldn't be here.)

Your posts are full of emotion around something you have no control. You're acting as if Brohm's recruiting has tanked with no facts to support it. If you're going to make posts like that, expect to hear what you're hearing. If you want to reasonably discuss your concerns, do it the right way...

Definitely doesn't look good but no need to hit the panic button just yet. He's a young kid who probably wants to explore all of his options including a visit out West.

You can’t have it both ways. First you say the ratings are inaccurate. Then you say if we add a couple of 4 stars, we’ll be in great shape. If the ratings are inaccurate, then so are the stars you mention! I suspect with the fewer practices and spring games and potential school and sports closures, a lot of the players with 4 stars will be closer to 3 star performance. With that said, every college is going through this same thing. Other colleges seem to be doing quite well.

it’s interesting Yanni stating to wanted to visit other campuses before making a decision. Other campuses may open the year online. Delaying a decision is never a good sign. His brother was one of our early commitments and helped recruit others to come to Purdue. Taking a wait and see approach is not helping draw other recruits to Purdue.

Maybe Yanni wants to go somewhere where he can be his own person and not have to live up to his brother's performance? Maybe he just wants to cover his bases by actually visiting campuses? Only Yanni knows that. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. He's either coming here or he's not. Brohm has shown he can recruit well, and he continues to do that. When he starts winning more games with the better talent he's recruited, more and more talent will want to play at Purdue.

To me, winning is the key. Winning creates better recruiting. And better recruiting creates more winning. If we do not improve our winning after having some of our greatest recruiting classes, then our future recruiting will also decline.

To me academics are not really a consideration for an elite athlete. Michigan’s and UW’s academic programs are just as good as any school in the country.

And also to me boring low scoring wins are more important than high scoring losses. Boring wins are what get you into Bowl games and players noticed.

what concerns me most is not our current rating(14th in Big 10) or our lack of recruits(9). What concerns me is that on most teams, the biggest and best recruiters are the players themselves. On the best teams, usually there is one player who commits early. And then he goes out and recruits others. Look at Howard University. They received a commitment from one of the top 5 players in the nation in basketball. And now other elite basketball players are considering Howard.

In KG’s class, he committed early and you could see he went out recruiting his friends from all star games etc to play for Purdue. I’m not seeing that this year. I thought we had a friend of Sales committed to Purdue. Obviously he Couldn’t convince Sales to join him. Yanni has strong ties to Purdue but still wants take a wait and see approach. Unlike other major programs where players recruit other players, I’m just not seeing it this year at Purdue.

I don’t blame Brohm and his coaches. Recruiting is a tough business. But it becomes a lot easier when a 4/5 star player commits early and helps to “unofficially “ recruit his Elite friends!

One of our greatest basketball recruiting classes was the three amigos. It made it easy they were all friends. It would be nice if Purdue football could have classmates and friends recruit other classmates.

Reactions: DAG10
Maybe with everything going on he didn't feel like committing yet. We're in a pandemic, lots more important things to worry about than a kid pushing back his decision. Purdue in my opinion still seems to be in decent shape.

Just beat Nebraska and start the season 1-0 and I think things will start taking care of themselves.

Reactions: Inspector100
He's a young man with a lot in front of him. I don't blame him to take his time and be sure. Hope he still comes to Purdue, but whatever he decides, it's his life to be sure it is his best decision.

He did not want to commit at this time because Purdue Has already missed on some recruits he does not want to pour salt on the wound . Time to move on he is not coming to Purdue.

He did not want to commit at this time because Purdue Has already missed on some recruits he does not want to pour salt on the wound . Time to move on he is not coming to Purdue.
Thinking out loud here. Purdue missed on Sales. Who else has it missed on that they sat well with?

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Thinking out loud here. Purdue missed on Sales. Who else has it missed on that they sat well with?

Sales has been IU's for quite some time. That was no secret. Did the Purdue staff want him? No doubt. They were hoping to change his mind, but they knew where he stood. It's hard to call that a "miss".

I'm amused at the exercise of attempting to get inside a 17 year old's head (Yanni's). That's not a negative comment directed toward Yanni. Not at all. If anything it's mildly "negative" toward some of the comments in this thread.

The past 4-5 months have been incredibly "weird" for everyone; working from home, limited social interaction (this is HUGE, unreported problem), people losing jobs, inability to travel, inability to just live our daily lives ... now we're going to analyze why a kid puts off a life-altering decision, and conclude WITH CONFIDENCE why he did it.

I wish the kid the best, regardless where he ends up. It's his future. It's not worth anyone fretting over it.

Reactions: Inspector100
Your posts are full of emotion around something you have no control. You're acting as if Brohm's recruiting has tanked with no facts to support it. If you're going to make posts like that, expect to hear what you're hearing. If you want to reasonably discuss your concerns, do it the right way...
This is ridiculous.

Posting "full of emotion around something you have no control?" Is that not what being a fan of a sports team is all about? I mean, fan is literally shorthand for "fanatic."

No facts to support it? I've posted several facts in support, in this, the Sales thread, and other threads. I have been registered since 2004, and my first posts since starting again were a bunch of facts about guys we could potentially go after for the offensive line, doing entirely my own research, and forming my own opinion about who the guy should be that we go after. Lo and behold we actually sign the guy. (Greg Long--he still has huge question marks, but was the only viable option by the time we got him).

Then I posted about where a bunch of recently departed Boilers were going to--more facts--and somebody else went absolutely bonkers over that too. So, post facts and people don't like it. Post emotion and people don't like it. And yet they don't have the courage to express their true objection. It just gets old. The environment here just sucks. It's not like any other board I visit.

Reactions: wakeman2626
This is ridiculous.

Posting "full of emotion around something you have no control?" Is that not what being a fan of a sports team is all about? I mean, fan is literally shorthand for "fanatic."

No facts to support it? I've posted several facts in support, in this, the Sales thread, and other threads. I have been registered since 2004, and my first posts since starting again were a bunch of facts about guys we could potentially go after for the offensive line, doing entirely my own research, and forming my own opinion about who the guy should be that we go after. Lo and behold we actually sign the guy. (Greg Long--he still has huge question marks, but was the only viable option by the time we got him).

Then I posted about where a bunch of recently departed Boilers were going to--more facts--and somebody else went absolutely bonkers over that too. So, post facts and people don't like it. Post emotion and people don't like it. And yet they don't have the courage to express their true objection. It just gets old. The environment here just sucks. It's not like any other board I visit.
So let me ask you this. Since this year's class is so much worse in your eyes, if they add a couple 4 star guys, how is it worse than last year's class?

. It just gets old. The environment here just sucks. It's not like any other board I visit.
You dont have to post here.

With regard to the remainder. It is August. We are 4 months from signing day. Pissing and moaning about commits (or lack thereof) at this point is utterly ridiculous.

You dont have to post here.

With regard to the remainder. It is August. We are 4 months from signing day. Pissing and moaning about commits (or lack thereof) at this point is utterly ridiculous.
Should we tell him that most of Brohms 4 star commits have come after August 1st?

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
tenor.gif

Wow.

A truly "elite" OL, and he gets REDSHIRTED?

NOBODY does that.

Kirby Smart, Head Coach... Matt Luke, Assistant Head Coach - Offensive Line... what a bunch of clueless dolts.

He redshirted behind a LT that went 8th overall in the following draft and a RT who... was a true freshman and just went 4th overall in this draft. He would have started as a true freshman at Purdue without a doubt, but that's not really the argument I suppose.

He redshirted behind a LT that went 8th overall in the following draft and a RT who... was a true freshman and just went 4th overall in this draft. He would have started as a true freshman at Purdue without a doubt, but that's not really the argument I suppose.

You don't have to suppose.

If you've been around here much at all you've seen some of the really silly arguments about redshirting OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT