ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Simpson

College Basketball

True Freshman
Sep 20, 2010
Does anyone know what happened? He is a 5'11" and 165 lb PG from Lima Senior Central. He was all set to announce his college choice today but cancelled his presser. It’s unclear whether it was going to be Purdue or Xavier. But those were the top choices, it seems.

Does anyone know what happened? He is a 5'11" and 165 lb PG from Lima Senior Central. He was all set to announce his college choice today but cancelled his presser. It’s unclear whether it was going to be Purdue or Xavier. But those were the top choices, it seems.

I heard (on this board) that he postponed his announcement.

My best guess is he was set to choose Xavier but after Swanigan committed to Purdue he decided to give it some more thought

My best guess is he was set to choose Xavier but after Swanigan committed to Purdue he decided to give it some more thought
Maybe his handler told him to wait. tic.

247 sports seems to think it is down to either Xavier or ISU. As much as it would be nice to see some dominoes fall, this appears to be a long shot.
Not that anything is certain in the recruiting game......

supposedly Hoiberg is toying w/ the idea of bolting for the NBA, so recruits might be watching that.

Not just toying. It's very possible he ends up with the Bulls. Thibs is out and Freddie has said the NBA is his dream. Still think it's Xavier to Xavier.

I think you're right. Xavier seems to lead for him, but if we can get him on campus with his dad, I think it would be very hard to pass us up. We are not just another B1G team now, WE ARE THE BOILERMAKERS! We come loaded with future NBAers, we have AJH, ISAAC, VINCE an of course---BIGGIE! This team is destined for the final four. We are now in the unique position of having a team whose talent can stand up to any team, anywhere. How does he turn that down.

Reactions: gkmorris
Simpson never even visited Purdue as I recall from GBI reports so I doubt we are a player here. Now if he visits soon that may change. Supposedly he delayed to take more time this summer before making the decision.

Reactions: boiler800
Simpson never even visited Purdue as I recall from GBI reports so I doubt we are a player here. Now if he visits soon that may change. Supposedly he delayed to take more time this summer before making the decision.
He was supposed to have postponed until June per his dad.

A bit OT, but it's interesting to see that the so-called blue bloods haven't offered Tech's CJ Walker like his dad was led to believe when he decommitted. If Purdue was still interested, they would arguably be his best offer.

He no longer has an offer from Purdue. I think Painter will land a better fit for us
When it came out that Walker was RJ's cousin (and that Purdue did not have a high enough "sauce level" in his mind), I believe Painter made the right choice with this guy. We will get a better player and someone with a much better attitude.

Painter and his staff are working both Simpson and Cumberland hard. Cumberland is starting to get the attention of programs like Michigan State and Michigan. It would be great to get both Simpson and Cumberland on-board soon. Also, Painter wants/needs another big man.

Michigan already has a 5 star SG committed in 2016 so Cumberland is still very much in play. Simpson would be a perfect fit for purdue and delaying his commitment is good for Purdue, not for Xavier the school.

Michigan already has a 5 star SG committed in 2016 so Cumberland is still very much in play. Simpson would be a perfect fit for purdue and delaying his commitment is good for Purdue, not for Xavier the school.
This. Being the son of a coach, Simpson is the kind of player Painter seems to love. They come in with better habits and instruction, it seems. We could use another scorer, and Cumberland seems to fit the bill there. I am really curious about who we get for another big man. A part of me likes the idea of Benson, but he doesn't seem all that keen on Purdue. Maybe Painter isn't all that keen on him? Not sure why, but Brunk doesn't excite me all that much, based on what video I've seen.

When it came out that Walker was RJ's cousin (and that Purdue did not have a high enough "sauce level" in his mind), I believe Painter made the right choice with this guy. We will get a better player and someone with a much better attitude.

RJ was all sause and no meat. That won't get you much on the court. Neither will "being a coach on the floor" when you are all about getting only your points, and hunting your shot. Sory , but the kid used to infuriate me when he would not pass to the open man. My wife: "He can't hear you. Stop yelling at him!"

As for Walker, the offers from Cincy (remember them?) and Butler are nothing to sneeze at, if they are still in play. ESPN is nortorious for being out of date. If he wants to "be the coach on the floor" then more power to him. Having that attitude is a good way to collect spinters at those schools.

Frankly, I don't see either of them being a big loss for Purdue.

RJ was all sause and no meat. That won't get you much on the court. Neither will "being a coach on the floor" when you are all about getting only your points, and hunting your shot. Sory , but the kid used to infuriate me when he would not pass to the open man. My wife: "He can't hear you. Stop yelling at him!"

As for Walker, the offers from Cincy (remember them?) and Butler are nothing to sneeze at, if they are still in play. ESPN is nortorious for being out of date. If he wants to "be the coach on the floor" then more power to him. Having that attitude is a good way to collect spinters at those schools.

Frankly, I don't see either of them being a big loss for Purdue.
Pitt is hard after Walker too.

This. Being the son of a coach, Simpson is the kind of player Painter seems to love. They come in with better habits and instruction, it seems. We could use another scorer, and Cumberland seems to fit the bill there. I am really curious about who we get for another big man. A part of me likes the idea of Benson, but he doesn't seem all that keen on Purdue. Maybe Painter isn't all that keen on him? Not sure why, but Brunk doesn't excite me all that much, based on what video I've seen.

I don't follow individual recruits very closely, but Brunk has to have something to like. He has offers from Illinois, IU, Iowa, Michigan State and Xavier. Is he just a late bloomer? His recruiting ranking status (3 stars) doesn't really equate with his offers.

Rankings are nice to have, they generate chat, but when it comes down to it, they're not important. When I watch Brunks' videos, I see a big guy who doesn't get pushed around inside and who has a knack for coming up with the rebounds. He is a center in the mold of a Purdue/Painter center. I think before his recruitment is over, that his number of stars will go up. He would be a great get.

I believe that Brunk is "young" for his class. I think a lot of his recruitment is based on potential. He has grown several inches in the past couple of years. He grew so much, so fast that he struggled with coordination, strength, conditioning, etc. He works hard and is a good kid from a good family. I grew up on the southside and remember his dad as a very good player. His dad played at a small college, I believe Hanover. They are being very deliberate about his decisions. Brunk is a Purdue type kid. I don't see him at MSU. Pretty sure IU will not be his destination though that won't be said publicly. Norhtwestern, Xavier, Butler and Purdue would be the types of schools I would think would fit him best. Don't know him or the family personally, but get some info from time to time from old friends on that side of town. Have no real idea which way he is leaning, if at all.

Last time I checked with a friend Brunk really liked Cincy. Trying to find out if he still
feels that way.

Rankings are nice to have, they generate chat, but when it comes down to it, they're not important. When I watch Brunks' videos, I see a big guy who doesn't get pushed around inside and who has a knack for coming up with the rebounds. He is a center in the mold of a Purdue/Painter center. I think before his recruitment is over, that his number of stars will go up. He would be a great get.

Let's be clear. Are rankings perfect measures of a player? Absolutely not.

Are they not important? Absolutely not.

This is what some people have been saying of our football recruiting classes over the past several years. That rankings don't matter. They do matter...to an extent. It's no coincidence that the football recruiting classes have been at the bottom of the Big Ten and that we've finished at the bottom of the Big Ten with those recruits. However, is it exact science? Certainly not. Shifting back to basketball, IU's gotten the most 5 star recruits over the last several years in the Big Ten and have nothing to show for it.

There's a number of factors that go into success for a program. People like to take 1 and run with it. But it's just not how it works. Recruiting is one factor. And rankings are a part of that factor. You'll have some 3 stars develop into great players - like a Kaminsky. You'll have some 5 stars be duds. But for the most part, the chance of a player turning out successful is relatively along those star ratings. Is it worth arguing about whether a recruit ranked 40th is significantly better than a recruit ranked 70? Probably not.

And a lot of a recruit's success has to do with how they fit into a program and team. A guy like Ronnie Johnson was a talented kid, but didn't mesh with the basketball system or the team dynamic. A guy like Dakota Mathias may not be the most talented, but he has great understanding of the game which leads to success and him able to make up for some of the areas he may not have as great of raw talent.

Let's be clear. Are rankings perfect measures of a player? Absolutely not.

Are they not important? Absolutely not.

This is what some people have been saying of our football recruiting classes over the past several years. That rankings don't matter. They do matter...to an extent. It's no coincidence that the football recruiting classes have been at the bottom of the Big Ten and that we've finished at the bottom of the Big Ten with those recruits. However, is it exact science? Certainly not. Shifting back to basketball, IU's gotten the most 5 star recruits over the last several years in the Big Ten and have nothing to show for it.

There's a number of factors that go into success for a program. People like to take 1 and run with it. But it's just not how it works. Recruiting is one factor. And rankings are a part of that factor. You'll have some 3 stars develop into great players - like a Kaminsky. You'll have some 5 stars be duds. But for the most part, the chance of a player turning out successful is relatively along those star ratings. Is it worth arguing about whether a recruit ranked 40th is significantly better than a recruit ranked 70? Probably not.

And a lot of a recruit's success has to do with how they fit into a program and team. A guy like Ronnie Johnson was a talented kid, but didn't mesh with the basketball system or the team dynamic. A guy like Dakota Mathias may not be the most talented, but he has great understanding of the game which leads to success and him able to make up for some of the areas he may not have as great of raw talent.
Well said.

He no longer has an offer from Purdue. I think Painter will land a better fit for us

Oh, I understand the above comments. I just thought it was interesting that he was looking for those "big time" offers, but his offers have all come from schools that likely won't be as good as Purdue. His dad had been told that if CJ was still available, big time offers would be pouring in.

I'm glad Painter moved on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT