ADVERTISEMENT

wrote to MBOB2 yesterday

PaBoiler78

All-American
Jan 18, 2002
I asked him about the osu game and that the team will probably be in all black w/ gold chrome and the idea of having a Blackout game w/ black pom poms and shirts given out. He said the team will pick out the uni option and the idea of a Blackout is part of the discussion. He also said if agreed upon it will be passed on by e mail and social media. So far this AD is doing a really good job and always replies to my emails.

They need to do this big. ABC prime time and I think we have a good showing and keep it close until the end with a shot to win.

I asked him about the osu game and that the team will probably be in all black w/ gold chrome and the idea of having a Blackout game w/ black pom poms and shirts given out. He said the team will pick out the uni option and the idea of a Blackout is part of the discussion. He also said if agreed upon it will be passed on by e mail and social media. So far this AD is doing a really good job and always replies to my emails.

If Purdue is doing a blackout game, would you prefer the black helmets to the chrome? Make the uni's all black, black helmets (with the train tracks) and have the P be chrome.

If Purdue is doing a blackout game, would you prefer the black helmets to the chrome? Make the uni's all black, black helmets (with the train tracks) and have the P be chrome.
I can only imagine how sweet recruiting will be with an upset victory on black out night. CJB will have to put a couple of receivers on track scholarships.

Just curious, how often do you email him?

While I like the concept in theory a blackout game against OSU wouldn’t work because of all the scarlet shirts in the crowd - in fact it would make them standout even more.

So, you're proposing a scarlet out?
I’m just being realistic. There’s a reason why they charge more for this game than any other and it’s not because there’s a huge surge of Boilermaker support. I wouldn’t be surprised to see anywhere from 20-30% of the crowd wearing scarlet.

I absolutely would like to see our standard night game uniforms. There will be plenty of emotion in the stadium to push our team. But you need 90%+ of the crowd for the home team - and the away team fans all isolated in one small corner - to really make a blackout work.

Last edited:
Just curious, how often do you email him?
I've emailed twice and have gotten a personal response both times.

Once was about the south end zone concepts and an idea I had....which I think was actually taken in to serious consideration. He was pretty open, about 2 months prior to the news release, of what their plans were and the timetable/road to take. My idea was about updating the training table and having the athletes dining hall move to the south end zone along with a potential HOF area for Purdue athletics that could be accessible any time throughout the year. His response was that it was a good idea but they need to ensure it is economical and they put their money to where it has the largest benefit....although he said the HOF idea may be one he looks in to at another time.

I’m just being realistic. There’s a reason why they charge more for this game than any other and it’s not because there’s a huge surge of Boilermaker support. I wouldn’t be surprised to see anywhere from 20-30% of the crowd wearing scarlet.

I absolutely would like to see our standard night game uniforms. There will be plenty of emotion in the stadium to push our team. But you need 90%+ of the crowd for the home team - and the away team fans all isolated in one small corner - to really make a blackout work.
that's part of the problem, can't even sellout a 62,000 seat venue of our own fans, psu has no problem, Iowa has no problem doing their gold black alternating fan sections.

I've emailed twice and have gotten a personal response both times.

Once was about the south end zone concepts and an idea I had....which I think was actually taken in to serious consideration. He was pretty open, about 2 months prior to the news release, of what their plans were and the timetable/road to take. My idea was about updating the training table and having the athletes dining hall move to the south end zone along with a potential HOF area for Purdue athletics that could be accessible any time throughout the year. His response was that it was a good idea but they need to ensure it is economical and they put their money to where it has the largest benefit....although he said the HOF idea may be one he looks in to at another time.
I like the HOF idea. Hopefully they consider that at some point. Having done some work with Scholar Engineering Corp over the years, I doubt a change in the training table local is made anytime soon. The "All American Dining Room" is less than 2 years old and the redesign in Cary Quad won numerous awards. Scholar did the architectural design and its supposed to be one of the best in the country.

My idea was about updating the training table and having the athletes dining hall move to the south end zone along with a potential HOF area for Purdue athletics that could be accessible any time throughout the year. His response was that it was a good idea but they need to ensure it is economical and they put their money to where it has the largest benefit....although he said the HOF idea may be one he looks in to at another time.

I also am enthusiastic about the HOF idea. However, has the renovated football complex done their version of the HOF already? I haven't made it into the new football complex, but can you see the Old Oaken Bucket there?

Seems like Mackey has a lot of the items that would be really cool for a HOF already in Mackey.

I think a center piece of the HOF should be a giant screen where you can watch famous plays. Like Brees to Morales. Or Hummel's block on Wisconsin. Or Big Dog dunking.

I also am enthusiastic about the HOF idea. However, has the renovated football complex done their version of the HOF already? I haven't made it into the new football complex, but can you see the Old Oaken Bucket there?

Seems like Mackey has a lot of the items that would be really cool for a HOF already in Mackey.

I think a center piece of the HOF should be a giant screen where you can watch famous plays. Like Brees to Morales. Or Hummel's block on Wisconsin. Or Big Dog dunking.
My idea was an all sports encompassing HOF located in what is the parking lot just outside of the south endzone that is roughly 25 feet below the stadium. It would, in essence, be the first level of the new complex and would house memorabilia and other pieces of Purdue athletics throughout the school's history. Also close proximity to Mackey so people going to games there can access.

Would be an awesome piece to the puzzle to show off our history. Would also give Orlando (Bruno) a place to show off pieces of his collection in a more noticeable venue and really give him the credit he deserves for being a Boiler backer.

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler2288
that's part of the problem, can't even sellout a 62,000 seat venue of our own fans, psu has no problem, Iowa has no problem doing their gold black alternating fan sections.
At least in part, the success that Iowa and PSU have is little competition from other sporting events.

Edit ... look at the success that Nebraska has at selling out their losing season.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
At least in part, the success that Iowa and PSU have is little competition from other sporting events.
Exactly. Purdue sits almost halfway between Chicago and Indy, two major sporting markets with Chicago sporting NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLS. Indy has NFL and NBA but also one of the most viable minor league hockey and soccer teams in the country. Not to mention Purdue tends to play third fiddle to the nationally established ND along with IU having the state's branding built in to it's name.

That "problem" is slowly being fixed. Finish strong this season, "up the ante" to Brohm with another contract extension (and buyout, assuming it's earned), and the butts will continue to fill the seats.

I'm giving serious consideration to season tickets for 2019. This program is going to be solid.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog

Edit ... look at the success that Nebraska has at selling out their losing season.

This is a huge reason Nebraska and Iowa sell out. There’s literally nothing else to do anywhere in the area except watching corn grow.

Reactions: NVboiler
That "problem" is slowly being fixed. Finish strong this season, "up the ante" to Brohm with another contract extension (and buyout, assuming it's earned), and the butts will continue to fill the seats.

I'm giving serious consideration to season tickets for 2019. This program is going to be solid.
I have been in Texas for a while and I maybe came back to campus for 1 game in the entire Hazell era. If I lived in or near WL I would have gone to more games, but I just couldn't justify spending all the time and money to come back with the state of the program what it was. Fast forward to last year.

With Purdue hiring the new AD and Coach they proved that they are making a total commitment to rebuilding the football program. I saw that Purdue was serious about putting the football program back on the map and now I am putting in the time, money, and effort to come all the way up from Texas for games. I wanted to come back for some games last year, but I had some serious family obligations that prevented me from making any of the games. This year I have been up for NW game and I have tix for the Wisky game. I too am considering season tickets for next year.

My point is if the fans know the effort to win is there they will come. The more success we have the more fans will come back. The game atmosphere at the NW game was fantastic. It felt like the Tiller era again. I loved coming up for that game even though we lost. This program is going in the right direction and even though we will still loose some games now and then, we are going to get better and better under this coaching staff. Our future is bright.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT