ADVERTISEMENT

WR question

A little bit of cart before horse going on here by Wole. Allen played all over the field in HS but will be a CB at Purdue to all accounts. And he's happy with that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brohm use him in some trick plays though. But Wole is looking to move Rice and Anderson to DB in order to move Allen to QB? When we don't need another body at QB? Especially if Eli somehow gets a 6th year.

I think this thread has shown that Brohm clearly likes the luxury of having plenty of skill position players right now. Hopefully that translates to the next couple years of focusing more on other positions but we will see.

we had a lot of success with that in the Tiller years. There were others, but some of the more notable were Ralph Turner and Stu Scheigert @ safety.
Stu was always recruited to play safety. Just happened to play QB in high school.

Turner youre right. Also Keith Smith was a notable switch from QB. Iowa has done it for years.

Reactions: LLaswell
I guess I'm not a huge fan of recruiting athletes and then trying to retrain them to a different position once they arrive. a 3/4 * QB or WR does not always translate into a 3* DB. I believe if you wanted a 3* db, you should recruit one. I've seen many high school athletes play multiple positions. And brohm has recruited many. What is Allen's best position? What is Rice's best position? I don't know. Could Allen be a better QB than Sipe or Plummer? Could Rice become a starting DB ?

it made sense for Sparks to convert from QB to WR. I was never sold on Henry changing from QB to DB. At the time, our overall team talent wasn't very high. Along the same vein, the question was asked could Alstott convert to a different position than QB. The conclusion was no, and he transferred to another school.

I'm aware it's the nature of the current game for players to transfer - now more than ever. The #1 overall QB recruit last year has decided to leave Georgia. Hunter left Clemson. Jeff George left Purdue. It happens. if a player is not happy with their current situation, they look for a better one. it's the same with real people and real jobs. I left teaching to join the military.

I'm reminded of MLB baseball drafting. You draft a SS because they are the best athlete and then try to find a position for him. The brewers have a long history of drafting great hitters and then trying to find a position for them. Ryan Braun was drafted as third baseman. Both Robin Yount and Paul Molitor were drafted as shortstops. Rollie Fingers, Eckersley and Mariano Rivera started out their careers as starting pitchers. Biggio converted from being a catcher to being a second baseman. Their shifting of positions seemed to work out ok. it doesn't always work out, but in many cases it does.

I guess the same can be true with football players. Paul Horning was a QB, punter and kicker at Notre Dame. He became a RB in the NFL.

Brohm sure seems to be stockpiling a lot of WRs. I'm confident the cream will rise to the top. As others have said, I'm confident next year he'll concentrate on different positions. if the 2020 class has another six 4/5* WRs at the expense of other areas, I will be concerned.

bigs, if you're looking for something that "always" works, you'll never find it.

I noted the HS QBs who have had some really good production elsewhere. Stu Schweigert and Ralph Turner. Also, while not a QB, Gilbert Gardner was a HS WR, but came to Purdue, became a FR All American at LB, and went on to play LB in the NFL. (Schweigert had a pretty good NFL career as a Safety.)

No, it doesn't "always" work, but that's not a very realistic expectation.

You mentioned baseball. Baseball is a hitter's game. If they can hit, get them on the field. Pete Rose is arguably the greatest hitter to play the game. He played 2B, OF, 3B and 1B because they needed his bat in the lineup. Every team deals with that. That's baseball. You do the same thing with football: Get the players on the field!

I guess I'm not a huge fan of recruiting athletes and then trying to retrain them to a different position once they arrive. a 3/4 * QB or WR does not always translate into a 3* DB. I believe if you wanted a 3* db, you should recruit one. I've seen many high school athletes play multiple positions. And brohm has recruited many. What is Allen's best position? What is Rice's best position? I don't know. Could Allen be a better QB than Sipe or Plummer? Could Rice become a starting DB ?

it made sense for Sparks to convert from QB to WR. I was never sold on Henry changing from QB to DB. At the time, our overall team talent wasn't very high. Along the same vein, the question was asked could Alstott convert to a different position than QB. The conclusion was no, and he transferred to another school.

I'm aware it's the nature of the current game for players to transfer - now more than ever. The #1 overall QB recruit last year has decided to leave Georgia. Hunter left Clemson. Jeff George left Purdue. It happens. if a player is not happy with their current situation, they look for a better one. it's the same with real people and real jobs. I left teaching to join the military.

I'm reminded of MLB baseball drafting. You draft a SS because they are the best athlete and then try to find a position for him. The brewers have a long history of drafting great hitters and then trying to find a position for them. Ryan Braun was drafted as third baseman. Both Robin Yount and Paul Molitor were drafted as shortstops. Rollie Fingers, Eckersley and Mariano Rivera started out their careers as starting pitchers. Biggio converted from being a catcher to being a second baseman. Their shifting of positions seemed to work out ok. it doesn't always work out, but in many cases it does.

I guess the same can be true with football players. Paul Horning was a QB, punter and kicker at Notre Dame. He became a RB in the NFL.

Brohm sure seems to be stockpiling a lot of WRs. I'm confident the cream will rise to the top. As others have said, I'm confident next year he'll concentrate on different positions. if the 2020 class has another six 4/5* WRs at the expense of other areas, I will be concerned.
In high school, very often the best athlete plays QB because they want their best player to touch the ball every time. This is true for Allen and was true for Sparks, Bilal Marshal, Robert Gregory, Desmond Tardy (Indiana Mr. Football at QB for Warren Central), and a host of others.

Reactions: Purdue85
In high school, very often the best athlete plays QB because they want their best player to touch the ball every time. This is true for Allen and was true for Sparks, Bilal Marshal, Robert Gregory, Desmond Tardy (Indiana Mr. Football at QB for Warren Central), and a host of others.

I believe the 2018 Indiana Mr. Football is a QB, headed to ND. Any wagers on whether or not he ever sees the field at ND behind center?

Catlett,Shuman,Anthrop,Horvath,Burgess,B Theineman,Pittman,Fuller and Franklin were all non-starters that were featured rountinely all year on special teams

What kind of a future do Sparks, Hamilton, Franklin, Anthrop, Catlett , Bonner, James, and Ellison actually have ?

A college degree from an elite institution?

Let's also not forget that injuries happen. I hope it doesn't happen, but if one or two starters (or top backups) go down, we are suddenly digging into the "three deeps" on our roster.

Wide receivers are usually (obviously) fast and often the first guys down on punt and KR coverage. If you're a junior without serious NFL prospects, do you transfer to a lesser academic institution and leave the friends you've made for three or four years for the chance to start for a team that isn't as good or exciting as your current one? Or do you suck it up and play where you can

I'm not saying I want Allen to play QB. i' m just asking the question, how good is he compared to the QB we actually recruited to play the position. His stats and game film at QB are awesome.

I know it's been said 1,000 times that Rice was promised and recruited to play WR. but you never know what the future may hold. Given a choice of Allen, Rice, or Anderson, which athlete would be the best CB ? Is Rice a better Cb than Allen? Could he be?
I know what position each player was originally recruited to play. I'm just curious as to how good they are at their secondary positions? I'm just wondering, how good of a QB is Allen? And how good of a DB are Rice and Anderson?

I'm not saying I want Allen to play QB. i' m just asking the question, how good is he compared to the QB we actually recruited to play the position. His stats and game film at QB are awesome.

I know it's been said 1,000 times that Rice was promised and recruited to play WR. but you never know what the future may hold. Given a choice of Allen, Rice, or Anderson, which athlete would be the best CB ? Is Rice a better Cb than Allen? Could he be?
I know what position each player was originally recruited to play. I'm just curious as to how good they are at their secondary positions? I'm just wondering, how good of a QB is Allen? And how good of a DB are Rice and Anderson?

Allen is about 3 inches shorter than you would want from a pure pocket passer. He is athletic and was able to make some nice passes, but Paul is a much better QB prospect in Brohm’s system. Not to mention, Allen is a very good DB, and has the potential to be all Big at that position. Considering Purdue’s depth at CB, even mentioning switching him over is in the running for bad take of the year. Especially when you add in that Allen would be more of a dual threat QB than pure passer. So stop it. Get some help. Though I honestly think you can’t help yourself. I am surprised you didn’t mention switching GK to punting or kicking the ball. Save us a scholarship that way or something.

Purdue has three really talented guys in Sipe, Plummer, and Piferi. All three have the talent to have very successful careers at QB. Sipe is the smallest at 6’4.

And coach Brohm if you are reading this, please don’t switch Allen to QB out of spite. The bord would be insufferable with Wole patting himself on the back. Wole likes to ignore the 10000 times he is wrong and jump up and down whenever he gets something right on the rare occasion that happens.

Allen is about 3 inches shorter than you would want from a pure pocket passer. He is athletic and was able to make some nice passes, but Paul is a much better QB prospect in Brohm’s system. Not to mention, Allen is a very good DB, and has the potential to be all Big at that position. Considering Purdue’s depth at CB, even mentioning switching him over is in the running for bad take of the year. Especially when you add in that Allen would be more of a dual threat QB than pure passer. So stop it. Get some help. Though I honestly think you can’t help yourself. I am surprised you didn’t mention switching GK to punting or kicking the ball. Save us a scholarship that way or something.

Purdue has three really talented guys in Sipe, Plummer, and Piferi. All three have the talent to have very successful careers at QB. Sipe is the smallest at 6’4.

And coach Brohm if you are reading this, please don’t switch Allen to QB out of spite. The bord would be insufferable with Wole patting himself on the back. Wole likes to ignore the 10000 times he is wrong and jump up and down whenever he gets something right on the rare occasion that happens.

I've posted less than 6,000 posts. All I did was ask the question. Allen IS taller than Drew Brees. A few of the posters here were very excited about his accomplishments as a QB .

When I'm wrong, unlike some I actually do admit it. and when I'm right, yes I LOVE to rub your nose in it for doubting and bad mouthing me.

Wolegib likes to stir debate. Jared Sparks was a great QB in HS and so was Jalen Graham in Detroit this year. Neither has the arm strength to play P5-B1G football in this day and age. As I have always maintained, the best all around athletes in HS are usually the player the coach lines up under center. Year after year, Tiller targeted QB's in recruiting classes for their athleticism, leadership and intelligence. Doesn't mean all are destined to play the position in college, though?

Reactions: indy35
Last year we got Bonner early, if Brohm knew he would have Moore, Taylor, and Anderson do you think he would have taken Bonner?
This year Wright and hopefully Bell are our last two commits - how do you NOT take one of them?
It will surely push some WRs to leave with Franklin already all but gone. There are a few others that may not make it all the way through such as Hamilton and Catlett.
Right now it seems like there are 4 2020 WRs that could commit soon.
We have a pretty balanced class and it looks like we will have close to 85 contributing scholarship players later. There is a difference between 85 3+ star players on your roster vs. 80 players comprised mostly of 2 and low 3 stars. I am not as worried about the positional breakdown even if we do have 15 scholarship WRs going into 2020.

I've posted less than 6,000 posts. All I did was ask the question. Allen IS taller than Drew Brees. A few of the posters here were very excited about his accomplishments as a QB .

When I'm wrong, unlike some I actually do admit it. and when I'm right, yes I LOVE to rub your nose in it for doubting and bad mouthing me.

Just curious, but do you expect all 5’8 players to play WR like Moore? Just because one person can do it, doesn’t mean they all can.

You listed one of the greatest/most accurate quarterbacks to ever play the game and compared him to somebody slated to play DB. You have any idea how stupid that sounds? Yes, Allen is a fantastic high school QB. An excellent leader and a threat to score whenever the ball is in his hands. If he were 6’5 he probably would have gotten offers to play QB on potential. He was offered as a DB because his potential as a DB is highest at that position. GK can kick, it doesn’t mean he would be recruited as a kicker or a punter over DE.

You may have only posted less than 6,000 times, but some of them were packed full of wrongness. It was also a comment made as an exaggeration and in jest, but I guarantee you have been wrong at least that many times in your life time. You have notched almost half of that in just this forum. There is nothing wrong with being wrong, you are just insufferable with some of your idiotic takes and if you are even close to being correct the whole world needs to know about it.

Wolegib likes to stir debate. Jared Sparks was a great QB in HS and so was Jalen Graham in Detroit this year. Neither has the arm strength to play P5-B1G football in this day and age. As I have always maintained, the best all around athletes in HS are usually the player the coach lines up under center. Year after year, Tiller targeted QB's in recruiting classes for their athleticism, leadership and intelligence. Doesn't mean all are destined to play the position in college, though?
There’s nothing to debate. Allen was brought in the play cb. Conjuring an argument for him at qb is a waste of bandwidth

Reactions: 1ndyBoiler
Just curious, but do you expect all 5’8 players to play WR like Moore? Just because one person can do it, doesn’t mean they all can.

You listed one of the greatest/most accurate quarterbacks to ever play the game and compared him to somebody slated to play DB. You have any idea how stupid that sounds? Yes, Allen is a fantastic high school QB. An excellent leader and a threat to score whenever the ball is in his hands. If he were 6’5 he probably would have gotten offers to play QB on potential. He was offered as a DB because his potential as a DB is highest at that position. GK can kick, it doesn’t mean he would be recruited as a kicker or a punter over DE.

You may have only posted less than 6,000 times, but some of them were packed full of wrongness. It was also a comment made as an exaggeration and in jest, but I guarantee you have been wrong at least that many times in your life time. You have notched almost half of that in just this forum. There is nothing wrong with being wrong, you are just insufferable with some of your idiotic takes and if you are even close to being correct the whole world needs to know about it.

You have a tendency to over exaggerate. I hope your reports on recruits are not as exaggerated as your criticisms of me.

I listed one QB because I knew you had heard of him. I could have easily listed 100 more examples. You are the guy who was dissing Allen as a QB primarily because of his height, not me. Not all great QBs are 6'5 !

As for short WRs who were successful, do the names Antonio Brown, Randall Cobb or Steven Smith ring a bell???? Barry Sanders was a generous 5'8. No, I don't expect all 5'8 receivers to be as good as Moore. It's rather obvious the 6' and over receivers weren't as good as Moore either making his height a non issue.

There’s nothing to debate. Allen was brought in the play cb. Conjuring an argument for him at qb is a waste of bandwidth

I asked a simple question, and you're getting all bent out of shape. Allen seemed to have a very nice year at QB. I simply asked if he was as good of a QB as the one we recruited to play the position.

and since both Anderson and Rice played DB, I asked the simple question, of Allen, Anderson and Rice, which one was the best db in high school.

I can't believe how defensive and argumentative some of you are becoming about me suggesting players may end up playing different positions. Last year, I suggested that Taylor because of his height and frame, if he red shirted and added about 20 pounds, could potentially be a receiving oriented TE. I couldn't believe the amount of criticism thrown at me for making that suggestion. I also suggested Alstott play RB, because he would never see any snaps for Purdue at QB. the only reason I suggested that was because I liked Alstott and was trying to think of another position he could play to keep him interested in staying on the team.

they were simply just suggestions / ideas for discussion. Does everything have to be cut and dry with you people? Are you not open to new ideas or creativity? i' m sorry I'm not an engineer, but I thought engineers liked to be creative and brainstorm and welcomed new ideas. you guys sound like a bunch of Sears accountants where everything must be in place and either gold or black. and if somebody suggests something different, you prefer to discredit the messenger.

Thomas Edison, Ben Franklin, Orville Redenbacher and the guys at 3M made a lot of mistakes. The post It Note was actually a mistake. 3M was actually trying to make a glue and it wasn't strong enough. I'm very proud of the mistakes I've made. I truly hope I make some more.

I asked a simple question, and you're getting all bent out of shape. Allen seemed to have a very nice year at QB. I simply asked if he was as good of a QB as the one we recruited to play the position.

and since both Anderson and Rice played DB, I asked the simple question, of Allen, Anderson and Rice, which one was the best db in high school.

I can't believe how defensive and argumentative some of you are becoming about me suggesting players may end up playing different positions. Last year, I suggested that Taylor because of his height and frame, if he red shirted and added about 20 pounds, could potentially be a receiving oriented TE. I couldn't believe the amount of criticism thrown at me for making that suggestion. I also suggested Alstott play RB, because he would never see any snaps for Purdue at QB. the only reason I suggested that was because I liked Alstott and was trying to think of another position he could play to keep him interested in staying on the team.

they were simply just suggestions / ideas for discussion. Does everything have to be cut and dry with you people? Are you not open to new ideas or creativity? i' m sorry I'm not an engineer, but I thought engineers liked to be creative and brainstorm and welcomed new ideas. you guys sound like a bunch of Sears accountants where everything must be in place and either gold or black. and if somebody suggests something different, you prefer to discredit the messenger.

Thomas Edison, Ben Franklin, Orville Redenbacher and the guys at 3M made a lot of mistakes. The post It Note was actually a mistake. 3M was actually trying to make a glue and it wasn't strong enough. I'm very proud of the mistakes I've made. I truly hope I make some more.

Too long; didn’t read. You ask a question multiple times and have been told no. Yet you continue to defend an asinine position

Too long; didn’t read. You ask a question multiple times and have been told no. Yet you continue to defend an asinine position

Too bad for you! your post was too short. I'm sorry, a one word reply is not a sufficient answer. Saying the guy is too short was not a decent answer either.

I never made any position. I asked a question. My question was how does he compare ? No is not a proper answer.

and then stick joins the conversation to inform me I've been wrong in the past. thank you Captain obvious!

For a guy who provides so many player evaluations, I would think Stick could provide an objective answer about Allen's QB abilities. And surely he should know of Allen, Rice and Anderson which one was the better db in high school.

or how about Allen verses Graham. Who was the better high school QB ? it's not a yes/no answer. It's a subjective question and calls for an opinion. and boom, it's possible if you answer it, someone in the future could post aha you were wrong. So nobody ever sticks their neck out to provide an opinion. I asked 3 point moore 5 times on the basketball board to post an opinion, and he refused. he'd rather cut me and mine down than provide his own opinion. I find that very sad that very few people here are willing to speculate or share their own opinions. I would think it would get very boring just repeating tweets and articles you find elsewhere on the internet.

1. Matt Light (TE turned OT)
2. Dustin Keller (WR turned TE)
3. Uche Nwarneri (DL turned OL)
4. Kyle Smith (former WB turned safety who played QB for a series in the Cap One Bowl when Orton dislocated his thumb)
5. Mike Rose (baseball player turned MLB)
6. A QB who turned out to be a LB esrly in Tiller years but can’t remember his name
7. Ray Williams (WR to CB middle of senior year...should have moved two years prior)

There are 7 instances off the top of my head at 5:30am from Purdue alone...happens all the time

4. Kyle Smith (former WB turned safety who played QB for a series in the Cap One Bowl when Orton dislocated his thumb)
6. A QB who turned out to be a LB esrly in Tiller years but can’t remember his name
7. Ray Williams (WR to CB middle of senior year...should have moved two years prior)

There are 7 instances off the top of my head at 5:30am from Purdue alone...happens all the time

Wole won’t be able to read this with his head buried in the sand. Appreciate your effort though.

#6 is John reeves. Played in the nfl

8 Gilbert gardner

Keith Smith QB-WR
Des Tardy-QB-WR
Jeff Panfil QB-TE
Jeff Lindsey QB-TE
Justin Sinz QB-TE
Sean Robinson QB-LB
Justin Siller QB-WR
Rob Henry QB-DB

Wole has argued recently that PU recruits too many under utilized or inferior QB's.
This list reflects only the last 10-12 yrs of converted QB's that contributed to team success at another position.

Ryan Grigson - TE to OL
Ryan Grigson... Purdue player to Colts killer.

A lot of guys play QB in high school, and can be very successful at it, because they are hands down the most athletic guy on the field. It doesn't mean the arm power, accuracy, decision making, etc., will transfer to a big time program.

Back to the original topic of WR's... it will be interesting to see who transfers or switches positions after seeing the writing on the wall. Always hate to see it happen, but it's inevitable as talent gets better and deeper.

Keith Smith QB-WR
Des Tardy-QB-WR
Jeff Panfil QB-TE
Jeff Lindsey QB-TE
Justin Sinz QB-TE
Sean Robinson QB-LB
Justin Siller QB-WR
Rob Henry QB-DB

Wole has argued recently that PU recruits too many under utilized or inferior QB's.
This list reflects only the last 10-12 yrs of converted QB's that contributed to team success at another position.
Wasnt Mike Rhinehart a high school QB too?

Who was the ILB a few years back that started out at running back? Was a pretty good lLB too.

Kugler went from TE to C (good one too)
Dennis Kelly went from TE to LT (pro)
Kevin Pamphile went from DT to OL (pro)
Brent Grover went from LB to DT

I don't see the big deal about a few switching positions. Some kids play whatever position needed in High School and would be really good at a number of positions, plus some High School coaches aren't the best and don't always have players in the right place. Let the College coaches make the decision , I am sure they are aware of the players skills and how they can help the team best.

Ryan Grigson... Purdue player to Colts killer.

A lot of guys play QB in high school, and can be very successful at it, because they are hands down the most athletic guy on the field. It doesn't mean the arm power, accuracy, decision making, etc., will transfer to a big time program.

Back to the original topic of WR's... it will be interesting to see who transfers or switches positions after seeing the writing on the wall. Always hate to see it happen, but it's inevitable as talent gets better and deeper.
yea, I knew him when he was there. Used to come over to a buddies of mine from time to time. I used to play catch with him out in the yard (not bragging in any way, but I had a strong arm and he wanted someone that could put some zip on the ball) needless to say, when I would fire one in there, he almost never caught it. I remember thinking to myself that dude is never going to play TE. Anyway, I left town for work and never thought about him again until he got the job with the Colts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT