ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin @ Purdue - Statistical Analysis and Machine Learning Prediction

_slabach

All-American
Nov 6, 2018
Indianapolis
As many know, I run a College Football analytics site called PerfectFall. On the site I use a model I created to measure every teams on-field performance and gives them an Overall, Offensive, and Defensive 's-values'. It also measures team talent, offensive tendencies, and strength of schedule/opponent. *Offensive tendencies is used to rate a team appropriately. A run heavy team shouldn't be penalized as much for having a poor passing game, but if they then have a poor rushing game, it should punish them more. And vice versa.
New this year, I'm using data created by my site to train a few machine learning models which can then predict future results (this feature is normally only available to Patreon members, but I'll post just the Purdue prediction here in this column each week).

Things like these rely on data, data, and more data. That means 2 things. For ratings, I do factor in preseason values for the first 4 weeks, but my entire models intention is to rate how teams are performing right now, this season and not overly rely on the past, so rankings early in the season may look somewhat weird for the first 3-4 weeks. And second, even more so on the reliance on data, I dont expect predictions to be any sort of reliable until at least week 5. So while I will post the prediction, if you use it to bet, it's your money, not mine #ThisIsNotFinancialAdvice

Statistical Analysis...
Read this post :) https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/a-statistical-look-at-wisconsin.217138/
@amarcott kills these posts. Not much more to add here. On paper, these are statistically 2 pretty similar teams. The difference mostly just that Purdue's offense has been on the lower side of mediocre, while Wisconsin's offense has been on the upper side of just really bad.

Purdue:
xCP19Yj.png

Wiscy:
dva70yl.png

Machine learning prediction:
I missed last week, but TLDR: the model didnt like us at all. Had an 8-32 Iowa win predicted. Understandable, but thats why we play the game and dont just go off predictions :) Here we have a prediction eerily similar to that of the Minnesota game. Let's hope this one is more accurate!

pcINqEK.png

Last section I'll include is our scheduled opponents, where they currently sit in the ratings, and the predicted outcomes vs actual results:
WeekOpponentCurrent Ranking (Movement)Predicted Outcome (Spread)Actual Outcome (Spread)
1Oregon State50 (down 15)N/A
2UConn130 (still last lol no movement)43-3 Purdue (-40)49-0 (-49)
3Notre Dame19 (down 13)27 - 45 Notre Dame (+18)13-27 (+14)
4Illinois101 (down 7)32-15 (-17)13-9 (-4)
5Minnesota53 (up 19)29-14 (-15)13-20 (+7)
6Iowa22 (up 11)8-32 (+24)24-7 (-17)
7Wisconsin47 (down 5)28-13 (-15)TBD
8Nebraska52 (up 2)TBDTBD
9Michigan Sate5 (up 2)TBDTBD
10Ohio State7 (up 14)TBDTBD
11Northwestern82 (up 1)TBDTBD
12Indiana71 (up 6)TBDTBD
**remember, these movement numbers are since I posted before 2 games ago, which 3 full games have happened since then.

Again, expect rankings and predictions to improve as the season goes as with ANY mathematical rating model, not just my own :) Though pretty happy in general with how they are looking right now! Let me know what y'all think!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News