ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson sees Purdue career close; NCAA notes (link)

I did a quick Google search for Purdue WBB recruits. IIRC I landed at the Rivals site that had some rankings for the out-years.

I don't really trust the rankings in WBB and I think they are much less accurate than the rankings for MBB. A good player in one region may be mediocer in another, more competative region. Also, I think most women players do not get the number of chances to be seen that the boys do, hence a smaller sample size to draw rankings from. (It's my theory, and I am sticking to it... right now).

I certainly think that a Rivals #9 ranking in the position for a 2018 kid is widely inaccurate and highly likely to change. I don't put much stock in it, but we do have a verbal from Traylor who has that ranking right now.

Just where on Rivals do you find anything about WBB recruiting or recruit rankings??

Sorry for the misleading information Des. I found ratings and rankings on ESPN, not Rivals. I did not pay close enough attention to what I was looking at. My bad. If you look up each class-year, it will give you information on each kid. The 2018 kid is as follows:
Kayana Traylor, PG

espnu-hg100wl_28x10.png

• POS RANK PG #7
  • HT 5-9
  • HS Martinsville H.S. (IN)-

I have just reviewed ESPN's Hoopgurlz WBB recruiting rankings from 2017-2019 and not not find a single Pirdue recruit mentioned. Don't know what ESPN recruiting rankings you have found, but the only one ESPN lists under women's basketball is my source.

Yep, just coaching. Auremia could win with just about any players. If he had Purdue's roster tho he might have lost one or two.

Yep, just coaching. Auremia could win with just about any players. If he had Purdue's roster tho he might have lost one or two.

The difference is he won when he had our roster or worse and after eleven years he never saw another roster like ours!

Reactions: mathboy
I have just reviewed ESPN's Hoopgurlz WBB recruiting rankings from 2017-2019 and not not find a single Pirdue recruit mentioned. Don't know what ESPN recruiting rankings you have found, but the only one ESPN lists under women's basketball is my source.
Click on the girl's name in my last post and it will take you to the specific page that lists her as the #7 PG prospect for 2018. She is still very young and grades out at 90, which says that right now, she is a 3-star guard. We are two years away from her class entering college, so there is plenty of time for her to develop.

There is also plenty of time for Purdue to recruit good players in those classes, so I don't think looking at the recruits for 2017 & 2018 is a measure of recruiting failure or success. Most of the top 60 are uncommitted at this time.

The area of concern is how few of the top 100/top 60/top 25 kids in these classes are from the midwest. Typically, we have done best with recruiting and retaining kids from Indiana and nearby states. When we have to reach out to Georgia, Florida, and the west. Much harder to recruit these kids, and much harder to keep them in the program.

Last edited:
Click on the girl's name in my last post and it will take you to the specific page that lists her as the #7 PG prospect for 2018. She is still very young and grades out at 90, which says that right now, she is a 3-star guard. We are two years away from her class entering college, so there is plenty of time for her to develop.

There is also plenty of time for Purdue to recruit good players in those classes, so I don't think looking at the recruits for 2017 & 2018 is a measure of recruiting failure or success. Most of the top 60 are uncommitted at this time.

The area of concern is how few of the top 100/top 60/top 25 kids in these classes are from the midwest. Typically, we have done best with recruiting and retaining kids from Indiana and nearby states. When we have to reach out to Georgia, Florida, and the west. Much harder to recruit these kids, and much harder to keep them in the program.

Three of our WBB All Americans are from Ohio, Michigan and Texas! Holmes, Lovelace and Wright. Out of state products Cooper, Figgs, Lawless, Roland, Wisdom-Hylton, Mingo, Bays, Valek, Ostarello, Houser, Wilson all were special talents

Three of our WBB All Americans are from Ohio, Michigan and Texas! Holmes, Lovelace and Wright. Out of state products Cooper, Figgs, Lawless, Roland, Wisdom-Hylton, Mingo, Bays, Valek, Ostarello, Houser, Wilson all were special talents
Indeed! I would list the NC team as the top of the group, and most of them were Indiana kids. Figgs was from Kentucky, which according to many southern Indiana folks, is actually an extention of Indiana (or maybe it is that southern Indiana is an extention of Kentucky, I forget which!).

I think White, Douglas, Joseph, and Komara were all Indiana kids. I will bet if you matched the best players at Purdue to the states they came from, most would be home state kids. I don't want to do it because I really do have to fill some job responsibilities today - you know that nagging crap that pays the bills! :cool:

Indeed! I would list the NC team as the top of the group, and most of them were Indiana kids. Figgs was from Kentucky, which according to many southern Indiana folks, is actually an extention of Indiana (or maybe it is that southern Indiana is an extention of Kentucky, I forget which!).

I think White, Douglas, Joseph, and Komara were all Indiana kids. I will bet if you matched the best players at Purdue to the states they came from, most would be home state kids. I don't want to do it because I really do have to fill some job responsibilities today - you know that nagging crap that pays the bills! :cool:

Starting center and PG from Kentucky and starting PF from Va. Two starters from Indiana on NC team

Runners up had center from Kentucky, forwards from Texas and Inidiana and guards from Indiana and Texas (Komara stepped in for last two games after Valek injury).

My point! Only two starters on NC team and second place team were from Indiana and the rest were out of state.

Runners up had center from Kentucky, forwards from Texas and Inidiana and guards from Indiana and Texas (Komara stepped in for last two games after Valek injury).

My point! Only two starters on NC team and second place team were from Indiana and the rest were out of state.
I give! you are correct. This will teach me to look up things before I post. I just don't follow the women's team close enough to make statements off the top of my head.

Thanks Des.

Last edited:
Reactions: destewart
The Curry mess cost us two front line A-A kids and another that was on the cusp. Two of those kids went to Xavier and had them in the Top Ten in the country for at least two years. While this was happening, we began losing and that is the biggest reason for the downturn in recruiting I think. It is not foolish to think that those two players would have not have kept us in the Top Ten which would certainly have given us a better shot at top players. There were a lot of other factors, but it is impossible to believe, along with the Merryweather scandal, that this short time in our history did not have a major impact. But it is over, over, over now and we have to go forward with what we have and that has all been laid out here. Lamenting the glory days if foolish, tho it is fine to always want better. Not many teams are in the upper echelon consistently any more.

Unless I'm mistaken, they never won anything significant at Xavier. They dominated their mid-major conference but never got to a Final Four.

No, bu they did not have the overall talent that Purdue had to go with those bigs. And Xavier was in the Top Ten for two years, I think finishing 6th once. Not bad.

No, bu they did not have the overall talent that Purdue had to go with those bigs. And Xavier was in the Top Ten for two years, I think finishing 6th once. Not bad.

Well that's what they get for going to Xavier. Not alot of help and not much of a legacy. They certainly helped their coach elevate quickly through the ranks though. I'm sure he's very appreciative of their efforts.

Unless I'm mistaken, they never won anything significant at Xavier. They dominated their mid-major conference but never got to a Final Four.

Xavier came about as close as you can to a Final Four. It was an unfortunate way that Dee Dee Jernigan's career ended.

Link: Fast forward to end

She had been through a lot personally, as I recall, and wouldn't wish that difficult an ending for many.

Xavier came about as close as you can to a Final Four. It was an unfortunate way that Dee Dee Jernigan's career ended.

Link: Fast forward to end

She had been through a lot personally, as I recall, and wouldn't wish that difficult an ending for many.

That was a pretty heartbreaking ending for Xavier and the three gals whom had pledged their allegiance to Purdue. Two of them sat behind our bench numerous times for several years.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT