ADVERTISEMENT

Why we will lose games this season

BCfanatic2020

All-American
Jan 5, 2020
I was right, kinda.

I thought we would lose games for three key reasons, even if only during the time we were fixing the issues, as many teams have question marks that they fix by game 6 or 10 (see Purdue running the ball in the years since 2019; couldn’t get a push against nevada but got push against some teams later), but lose games 3 and 5 in the meantime.

1. WR chemistry - I didn’t think having an alpha was as important as having O’Connell in sync with three guys across the field. As you can see, Jones is the alpha and then some, but can you even tell me who looks reliable on the outside across from Jones?

I thought that it would go like this… Thompson would be Mr. reliable on the right, Sheffield would bust out and then Jones would have big play pop on the left but maybe HE would be the chemistry question.

as it stands, Jones has been a David Bell like figure so far, Sheffield has been no Anthrop (Anthrop likely would have made that catch perfect throw be damned and would not have fumbled that ball), Thompson appears to have injury issues and just doesn’t appear to be healthy enough to play, and it looks as though Milton Wright may cost us multiple games this year, because one thing that made O’Connell the player he was is that he could turn and fire passes across his body to Wright and use the whole field. Now, it looks choppy at best over there. And we are about to face a team whose fans are bragging that they have two Joey porter like corners (though that may be false bravado/the ACC version).

What needs to emerge for us not to lose games: A reliable receiver opposite Jones and either Sheffield or Tracy taking over in the slot.

2. Defensive end lacking burst to the QB. Moral takes on try hard guys aside, Clifford was comfortable against us. And penn state fans would tell you this is not one of their better lines. I was wrong in that I thought Sydnor would make his presence known and caraway would follow close behind. Sydnor has been closer to Sullivan and Jenkins in lack of burst (which could be lack of good use of hands when you’re a RS Freshman) and although caraway is more explosive it was ISU

What needs to emerge for us not to lose games: A defensive end who can make QBs uncomfortable, at least to the point of having to reposition their feet.. something a lot of QBs can’t do like O’Connell. I had the starters right. Jenkins is the best of the bunch, but not going to make good Big Ten offenses uncomfortable. How fast can a heavy dose of Caraway be ready to go. If it’s this week and it wasn’t just cause it was ISU.. we will probably win.

3. Push in the run game - it just isn’t there yet. And in the work around Craig’s injury lineup, I don’t know that I see an answer. The thing is, people think it’s doerue, but we played ISU on Saturday, and although mockobee was outstanding, I didn’t see anyone have the kind of holes that the 2018 line would routinely open for DJ Knox and Markell Jones. To my amateur eyes the interior looks fine, but the OTs don’t seem to push.

what needs to emerge for us not to lose games: I think we will still have a GOOD offense either way if we square (1) away, maybe even really good. But.. I don’t know.. Muhamane Moussa putting on the weight he will have as a RS so? Sione Finau showing that he can be a strong force at RG so that Mbow can kick out to tackle where his feet are as good as anyone but his physicality is already better than the seniors? Not sure this gets fixed until later.

Anyway, thoughts and what are yours? I didn’t include Graham being out because sanoussi kane is back in, he’s a stud and cam Allen obviously took his game 1 personally. But yes the Graham injury could cost us. WR left appears to be my big unexpected question after two games

Reactions: Wilvis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News