ADVERTISEMENT

Where do the draft eligible players from Purdue end up going?

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Do you see the five realistic players eligible for the draft landing some where prior to the end of the draft or do you see them as free agents?

Ryan Russell
Gabe Holmes
Justin Sinz
Raheem Mostert
Akeem Hunt

My Opinion: Mostert seemed to really impress during his pro day and a team may be willing to take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th round who want to develop a RB with skills as a return man. Russell may find a late 6th round or 7th round pick as well given his blend of athleticism and skills but the up and down throughout his career hurt his chances of being a mid-round pick. Holmes and Sinz are looking like Free Agents which is surprising for Holmes given his size and athleticism (he was offered by Miami and FSU out of high school), but could never seem to put every thing together.

As funny as this sounds, I think Hunt gets drafted in the mid to late 5th round or 6th round and could be a good pick up for Chip Kelly and the Eagles as a good option as a third RB and a KR.

Do you see the five realistic players eligible for the draft landing some where prior to the end of the draft or do you see them as free agents?

Ryan Russell
Gabe Holmes
Justin Sinz
Raheem Mostert
Akeem Hunt

My Opinion: Mostert seemed to really impress during his pro day and a team may be willing to take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th round who want to develop a RB with skills as a return man. Russell may find a late 6th round or 7th round pick as well given his blend of athleticism and skills but the up and down throughout his career hurt his chances of being a mid-round pick. Holmes and Sinz are looking like Free Agents which is surprising for Holmes given his size and athleticism (he was offered by Miami and FSU out of high school), but could never seem to put every thing together.

As funny as this sounds, I think Hunt gets drafted in the mid to late 5th round or 6th round and could be a good pick up for Chip Kelly and the Eagles as a good option as a third RB and a KR.
I have no idea where they will end up,but hopefully at least one gets drafted,so it will will be 18 consecutive years with Purdue having at least one guy taken in the NFL draft.

where would Hunt and Mostert project? I have a hard time seeing either as more than a return guy. I do think Holmes and Sinz have pro potential, but doubt they get drafted.

i can't see Holmes getting drafted, he had terrible hands and always went down easily when he actually hung on to the ball

He did, but so many of his balls were covered heavily. I'd be interested to know if he is that bad at creating seperation or if, as I suspect, out TE's were covered heavily as the obvious safety route for the qb since the safties were stacking the box so hard.

Dont get me wrong, Holmes should have performed better, but I didnt exactly see coaches putting him in a good spot out there.

Im sure coaches were saying he was prime for a breakout year for the last three years for a reason.

Russell is projected 4th round on NFL.com, but I don't see that happening. I'd guess in late 5 or 6 round area. I think Mostert has a decent chance at 7th round and actually hanging around the league a few years purely for special teams. Is there a reason he never returned punts? That would have helped him.
As for Holmes, we all waited 5 years for him to become a star but just never could so it would be generous if he makes first cuts.
Sinz is interesting because as a UFA he could make a team IF he got the perfect situation. A team that wants a smart guy who can find seams (against good teams he was consistently wide open in the middle).
I really liked Hunt his entire career but just don't see him getting much of a chance. He could be a good fit for the CFL like Sheets was.

Hoping they all make rosters though.

Russell is projected 4th round on NFL.com, but I don't see that happening. I'd guess in late 5 or 6 round area. I think Mostert has a decent chance at 7th round and actually hanging around the league a few years purely for special teams. Is there a reason he never returned punts? That would have helped him.
As for Holmes, we all waited 5 years for him to become a star but just never could so it would be generous if he makes first cuts.
Sinz is interesting because as a UFA he could make a team IF he got the perfect situation. A team that wants a smart guy who can find seams (against good teams he was consistently wide open in the middle).
I really liked Hunt his entire career but just don't see him getting much of a chance. He could be a good fit for the CFL like Sheets was.

Hoping they all make rosters though.

Sheets is good enough for the NFL and probably was looking at the starting job in Oakland before he tore his ACL. If he has rehabbed well enough and gets healthy, he will find a job somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT