ADVERTISEMENT

Whats the story with Rick Mount again?

The solution seems simple to me. Have Matt Painter call Rick and say that he believes WE can win it all if HE comes out and does a two day shooting camp. We have players who need to increase their 3 pt FG % and others who need to increase their FT % and we are willing to pay YOU $5,000 for your expertise.

My understanding that one of the reasons is that he didn't think his son got a fair shot by Gene.

That's about what I thought it was. I'm certinally no expert, but, possibly Rick's son wasn't quite the player Rick was, & may have been a little over rated by others. Maybe Gene saw this, made the moves he thought would be best for Purdue basketball, & that didn't exactly sit well with some members of the Mount family. Let's let all that go away, start a new beginning, & bring the Mount family back into the Purdue fold, once & for all. Besides, I really want a few of those Rick Mount bobbleheads! I've got Larry Legend, Peyton, Luck, but without Rick Mount on my shelf, it just isn't the same. Come back Rick, we all miss you & yours.

It's either Rick comes back, or I start looking for the Billy Keller bobblehead I saw on ebay last Christmas. Nothing against Billy, he was great, but the thing was made of bubble gum, bailing wire & 50's lego logs, & still cost 5 easy payments of $29.95, limited time only/gettem' while you can!" offer. Rick, don't make me take out a second mortgage on the kids & south 40.

Last edited:
My understanding that one of the reasons is that he didn't think his son got a fair shot by Gene.
If I remember right that was part of it. Richie was okay but nothing outstanding. I also heard that Rick wanted Gene to bring him in to help out with the teams and their shooting but Gene wasn't real excited about the idea. I heard Rick was pissed about it.

A friend of mine's son went to one of Mount's camps years ago and the kid said he was the meanest guy he had ever met. Even to this day the kid (now an adult) still brings it up.

The solution seems simple to me. Have Matt Painter call Rick and say that he believes WE can win it all if HE comes out and does a two day shooting camp. We have players who need to increase their 3 pt FG % and others who need to increase their FT % and we are willing to pay YOU $5,000 for your expertise.

I can't picture CMP doing that but that would be pretty cool if he tried, although I think paying him might be a violation of NCAA rules. I hope Rick doesn't hold a grudge against Painter for getting more PT than Richie was during their sophomore seasons (before Richie transferred at the end of the Fall Semester).

Rick was at a Purdue Basketball camp back in roughly 87-88 can't remember. He had 5 racks went thru the first 4 with nothing but net...oddly enough he missed on the 5 rack and turned looked at a staff member who was over weight. Rick called him every cuss word in the book. That is what I got out of that and not the fact he was still a great shooter. BTW played ES in 21, coached by Weber in league play and by Lavin in all-star that's what a truly remember.

Plenty of mega-talented people have personality flaws stemming from vanity or perceived entitlement or whatever, and it sounds like Mount is one of them. If he is generally a jerk when it comes to Purdue, then it's probably best to just honor what he did back in the day.

I wish we could reconcile the differences but Rick seems like a thought guy to get along with.
He's pissed at Purdue
He's pissed at Lebanon High School Athletics
He's pissed at Slick Leonard and the Pacers.

Kinda seems like just a bitter guy.

I can't picture CMP doing that but that would be pretty cool if he tried, although I think paying him might be a violation of NCAA rules. I hope Rick doesn't hold a grudge against Painter for getting more PT than Richie was during their sophomore seasons (before Richie transferred at the end of the Fall Semester).
I cannot image why Rick would be. Painter and Richie were roommates their freshman year at Harrison Hall. From what I understand, they used to hang out all the time together that year and were pretty good friends. They would sneak in after hours a lot that first semester into the girls side of McCutcheon Hall, because they were "dating" a couple of girls that were also roommates (who were friends of my friends at the time). I believe one or both got caught after a month or so, and they stopped coming around McCutcheon after that.

I cannot image why Rick would be. Painter and Richie were roommates their freshman year at Harrison Hall. From what I understand, they used to hang out all the time together that year and were pretty good friends. They would sneak in after hours a lot that first semester into the girls side of McCutcheon Hall, because they were "dating" a couple of girls that were also roommates (who were friends of my friends at the time). I believe one or both got caught after a month or so, and they stopped coming around McCutcheon after that.
Painter lived in Owen Hall with a team manager his freshman year.

Early in the Keady-era, Gene offered Mount a staff spot IF he finished up degree requirements. Mount wasn't interested.

Later, Keady brings in his kid. Kid doesn't make the splash he and his dad felt he should. Kid moves on to VCU iirc.

Keady and Purdue did plenty for Mount and his kid.

Some guys (Mount, RMK) just are NEVER going to be happy. Always feel slighted in their own mind.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Maybe he has stayed away because he's been afraid Keady and Painter would want him to play some defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT