ADVERTISEMENT

What was Painter thinking?

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
With about 6 mins left, I think we were up like, 25 or something, and Painter brings Edey back in the game? I was like WTF are you doing! I was at the Barn when Hummel blew out his knee so I'm a little sensitive to bad juju in that place.
No reason to take that kind of risk in a blowout and Minny have a less then zero % chance of coming back.

I agree with BoilerDaddy. I suspected it was going to be just for a few minutes (came in around 7, left, went out about 3:30 left) and solely for the purpose to not let minny get any semblance of momentum. I definitely understand OP’s sentiment. We all have PTSD from the barn and we all held our breath in the last minute of the first half when Newman and Edey went down.

With about 6 mins left, I think we were up like, 25 or something, and Painter brings Edey back in the game? I was like WTF are you doing! I was at the Barn when Hummel blew out his knee so I'm a little sensitive to bad juju in that place.
No reason to take that kind of risk in a blowout and Minny have a less then zero % chance of coming back.
Agree, MP is a cotton headed ninny muggins.

At the end of the game Edey stumbled out of bounds, I said to the wife why is he out there still? Matt is coach of the year, however, there’s no reason to have Edey out there that late.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I thought the same thing— in fact I was yelling at Painter through the TV. I thought he played Edey way too many minutes overall for a game that was such a blowout.

On the other hand, as I said in the other thread, we basically didn’t score at all when our starters were out.

I agree with BoilerDaddy. I suspected it was going to be just for a few minutes (came in around 7, left, went out about 3:30 left) and solely for the purpose to not let minny get any semblance of momentum. I definitely understand OP’s sentiment. We all have PTSD from the barn and we all held our breath in the last minute of the first half when Newman and Edey went down.
I mean, Minnesota showed no signs at all of any sort of offensive competence.

Putting Edey back out there seemed really unnecessary.

The only possible thing I can think of was that either Edey may have requested to come back in or Painter sent him out there in order to maintain his double-double streak (which still didn't happen).

I thought it was unnecessary as well. Until Gillis went down no walk ons were in. This team has no depth if someone goes down. Hope we play it a little safer the rest of the year. Don't want to have a guy go down and then have to burn Heide's shirt so late in the season.

"This is REALLY gonna make bonefish1 super butthurt."

"This is REALLY gonna make bonefish1 super butthurt."
It's just a risk that provides zero return. Sure, Edey could break his ankle stepping off the curb tomorrow, but it's not necessary to put him on the floor in a lop sided blowout.

All of life is a risk. He could hurt his knee walking down the stairs on campus. You don't let the fear of those things keep you from operating how you normally do. Painter has any number of reasons for doing what he did...

The way I see it, Painter didn’t want Minnesota to get on a run and you just need to accept a certain amount of injury risk. Even practice comes with risk.
Understood, but I would prefer that he wait and see if they make run down to say, 9 points, and then put Zach in (or maybe not even then). Better to gear everything toward being healthy and ready for March Maddening.

Reactions: depthcharge623
I think it was a matter of CMP not wanting TKR to play the final 10 minutes straight. He's winded and slow after 3. So really it was to give Renn a break more than anything. He was only in for a few more possessions.

Understood, but I would prefer that he wait and see if they make run down to say, 9 points, and then put Zach in (or maybe not even then). Better to gear everything toward being healthy and ready for March Maddening.
You never want to get down to single digits from that kind of lead. That's a lot of momentum you have to then stop and you can easily find yourself getting burnt by a now hot team.

You never want to get down to single digits from that kind of lead. That's a lot of momentum you have to then stop and you can easily find yourself getting burnt by a now hot team.
Dealing with such a hypothetical could turn out to be a good experience for March.

Did he score on his last segment ? Can't remember...
Anyway 32 @MSU and 12 @Minny keep his avg. Ppg....standing, maybe ???

Zach Edey did not score the entire second half.....all twelve points (on six made F's) were in the first half. I agree with those thinking Matt Painter just wanted some semblance of order restored before pulling all the starters.....the bench was really struggling, IMO.

Reactions: Boiler8285
"Why are we recruiting a sub 6 foot guard from Westfield that isn't ranked high and has only offers from Montana?....what is painter thinking?!?!"
And if Painter recruits another sub 6 footer with no P5 offers, I’ll voice the same opinion. And if I’m wrong, great. If I’m not, I can say “told ya so”

And if Painter recruits another sub 6 footer with no P5 offers, I’ll voice the same opinion. And if I’m wrong, great. If I’m not, I can say “told ya so”
That's why your bball knowledge is so limited....you only repeat what others tell you...leave the bball analytics to those of us that know a thing or two about the game....just so you don't embarrass yourself again...

I saw it as a teaching moment for those on the floor. Either play the way we practice or I bring back those who do.

That's why your bball knowledge is so limited....you only repeat what others tell you...leave the bball analytics to those of us that know a thing or two about the game....just so you don't embarrass yourself again...

While that initial opinion above was dumb, and funny way you posted it...lol. Still, people are wrong on here alot, me included.....but sorry, this post just reads as arrogance.

Shots fired!

At what point do you look at results and just think to yourself "Maybe Coach Painter knows what he's doing."?

Reactions: BoilerAndy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT