ADVERTISEMENT

What does everyone think of Sheffield leaving?

KentuckyBoiler

All-American
Jul 6, 2011
Sheffield is entering the transfer portal. I am not too shocked by this move.

The question to me is will Burks leave too? To me, that would be a bigger hit to the receiving corp. I can see a bigger program opening up their NIL purse strings to try to get Burks to leave.

The question to me is will Burks leave too? To me, that would be a bigger hit to the receiving corp. I can see a bigger program opening up their NIL purse strings to try to get Burks to leave.
Before anyone else leaves, I’ll say this. They are all just guys. None of them are Jared sparks or amad Anderson but none of them are Milton Wright by damn site either

Seriously doubt someone is opening up the wallet all that much for Burks. If you're Burks it's about getting to the league after next year rather than what maybe $50-$100k more in NIL. Is there some place better for him than Purdue? Im not seeing it as its pretty obvious he's our clear #1 and we're trying to get him the ball as much as possible.

Seriously doubt someone is opening up the wallet all that much for Burks. If you're Burks it's about getting to the league after next year rather than what maybe $50-$100k more in NIL. Is there some place better for him than Purdue? Im not seeing it as its pretty obvious he's our clear #1 and we're trying to get him the ball as much as possible.
He’s just been a guy this year. There hasn’t been anything freakish about him and he can’t contest passes on the outside. Just like Sheffield and yaseen a low 60s per pff

Sheffield has been here 5 years. he supposedly already has his degree. he wants a chance to play one more year in an offense that's passing oriented. Many other players have given their all and then wanted one last year.

my biggest concern is the timing of his announcement. I have to believe he could have entered the portal on Sunday or monday or next week. it's not like he's going to receive any offers on Thanksgiving or the weekend. it's not like he's going to transfer schools before this semester is open.

To me, he could have waited 2-4 more days before announcing his decision. he could have waited until after the IU game. he could have shown some loyalty to the team and the coaching staff. Now he is becoming the headline instead of the team. Will he play Saturday? What will his teammates think? what will recruits attending the IU game think?

he's a good receiver and will probably find a good school. But I highly doubt he becomes a star at his new school. I highly doubt he will be better utilized than he was at Purdue.

Before anyone else leaves, I’ll say this. They are all just guys. None of them are Jared sparks or amad Anderson but none of them are Milton Wright by damn site either
These guys are ripe for poaching to be better utilized somewhere else.

PFF numbers only tell so much of your story when your QB and offense are unwilling or unable to get those guys the ball. Only takes 1 offer.

Reactions: Beorik
These guys are ripe for poaching to be better utilized somewhere else.

PFF numbers only tell so much of your story when your QB and offense are unwilling or unable to get those guys the ball. Only takes 1 offer.
Sheffield was a 59.5 last year. Up to a whopping 62 this year. Yaseen 53.2. Burks 51. LAST YEAR. The latter are in that oc brothers range lol. Burks went from 51 to 62.

This is one of the many reasons I got a pff subscription 3 days before the season and was like “oh shit” about my prediction.

isn’t it funny that I’m listing 3 MORE players who got better this year?

Burks up from 51 under the wizard your precious Dalai brohma to 62. Because Garrick McGee sucked but Aidan had a buddy who saved the day.

tell me. Who do you think didn’t get better? Wanna go through the whole team?

Sheffield was a 59.5 last year. Up to a whopping 62 this year. Yaseen 53.2. Burks 51. LAST YEAR. The latter are in that oc brothers range lol. Burks went from 51 to 62.

This is one of the many reasons I got a pff subscription 3 days before the season and was like “oh shit” about my prediction.

isn’t it funny that I’m listing 3 MORE players who got better this year?

Burks up from 51 under the wizard your precious Dalai brohma to 62. Because Garrick McGee sucked but Aidan had a buddy who saved the day.

tell me. Who do you think didn’t get better? Wanna go through the whole team?
Guys are going to get better ratings as they play more genius

Yeah, he seems to have reached his peak for us, whether that's coaching or his talent level. We'll be fine with or without him. If he can get another degree somewhere, good for him.
Look, last year before I knew brohm was leaving I was expecting Sheffield to take the next step without sharing the position with anthrop. He got a whopping 155 extra yards

Sheffield got massively worse from 2021 to 2022 lol

This is more of moron18 thinking everything is true just because he says it
Sheffield is a slot WR. Jones took some of the snaps there and obviously an All American is going to affect your production. Was still decent for us.

Sheffield is a slot WR. Jones took some of the snaps there and obviously an All American is going to affect your production. Was still decent for us.
Jones was on the right side the entire time stooge. Sheffield actually spent a lot of time out left. Went from 71 to playing more and going down to 59. I thought players who play more always do better

Jones was on the right side the entire time stooge. Sheffield actually spent a lot of time out left. Went from 71 to playing more and going down to 59. I thought players who play more always do better
Then he was playing out of position. Awful choice by Brohm while he was busy winning 8 games and the West!

Then he was playing out of position. Awful choice by Brohm while he was busy winning 8 games and the West!
Garrick McGee wasn’t any good. But we haven’t even gotten to the part where we might have still had Holstege, deen, etc here had it not been for Greg brohm, promises broken and a season that was on the brink behind the scenes. You should ask nat about it. The roster was hardly in love with brohm at the end.

Or have you seen massive amounts of 5th round picks skip bowl games under previous coaches and seasons?

Garrick McGee wasn’t any good. But we haven’t even gotten to the part where we might have still had Holstege, deen, etc here had it not been for Greg brohm, promises broken and a season that was on the brink behind the scenes. You should ask nat about it. The roster was hardly in love with brohm at the end.

Or have you seen massive amounts of 5th round picks skip bowl games under previous coaches and seasons?
I don’t know the behind the scenes story but in retrospect it’s clear that after winning the West Brohm was busy architecting his move. Do you want me to whine about it on the internet to a bunch of strangers?

What was the issue with Greg Brohm?

What were the promises broken?

I don’t disagree that Brohm wasn’t a players coach…what he asked for an expected of players led to wins….not making best friends. When you have a player friendly coach…you get less turnover but less discipline IMO. Just look at Hazells teams!

I want my coach to win football games. I didn’t really care how it happens in front of or behind the scenes.

Also pretty sure Jalen Graham was academically ineligible and that’s why he sat. I’ve seen other NFL Draft bound guys even in later rounds sit for bowl games. Especially if the staff that recruited them was leaving.

I don’t know the behind the scenes story but in retrospect it’s clear that after winning the West Brohm was busy architecting his move. Do you want me to whine about it on the internet to a bunch of strangers?

What was the issue with Greg Brohm?

What were the promises broken?

I don’t disagree that Brohm wasn’t a players coach…what he asked for an expected of players led to wins….not making best friends. When you have a player friendly coach…you get less turnover but less discipline IMO. Just look at Hazells teams!

I want my coach to win football games. I didn’t really care how it happens in front of or behind the scenes.
Lol so you don’t know why seniors flocked from Brohm’s and the bowl game? And those who had eligibility left before Walters was even entrenched?

Again, ask nat. He just posted yesterday. Last year was a season on the brink that was saved by the off field leadership of Branson Deen and the veteran presence of Oconnell.

Lol so you don’t know why seniors flocked from Brohm’s and the bowl game? And those who had eligibility left before Walters was even entrenched?

Again, ask nat. He just posted yesterday. Last year was a season on the brink that was saved by the off field leadership of Branson Deen and the veteran presence of Oconnell.
8 wins. On the brink! Lol

We fell off the brink in week 1 this year but if the players are all broey with the coach, who cares if they win a game?

We fell off the brink in week 1 this year but if the players are all broey with the coach, who cares if they win a game?
But yet you look at sdboiler and others who were saying with that schedule we would win 10

You think this years team wins 6 with the hat schedule?

Wisconsin fired their coach
Iowa had petras
Nebraska fired their coach
Northwestern sucked
This years team routed Minnesota and illinois
FAU and Illinois state far worse than any team we played

Most homers were insisting 10-2 would just happen. The 2007 boilers would have won 7 games man. The 09 team would have gone bowling

Guys were allegedly promised money and after they relied on said promises got 0.

I posted this post when Sheffield left and was worried about Burks leaving. Most did not seem too concerned about it at the time.

Thoughts now?

I posted this post when Sheffield left and was worried about Burks leaving. Most did not seem too concerned about it at the time.

Thoughts now?
Shef's departure didn't concern me at all. He's a grad transfer.

Burks is a bit surprising. Didnt see it coming. That being said, if Walters can go replace these smaller receivers with bigger receivers, I'm game. Hoping this is the case.

We were 4-8. We've got to get better across the board.

Reactions: WarrenCoBoiler
Shef's departure didn't concern me at all. He's a grad transfer.

Burks is a bit surprising. Didnt see it coming. That being said, if Walters can go replace these smaller receivers with bigger receivers, I'm game. Hoping this is the case.

We were 4-8. We've got to get better across the board.
Burks is a bit surprising, and it's a loss, but he's also not a number one receiver. Our receiving corps was one of the worst elements of the team. So if he can find improvements no biggie, if he can't, it's going to be pretty bad.

I remember the radio announcers stating that the receivers never gave the QB any targets and would not come back for the ball when he was scrambling because they just quit playing before the play was whistled dead. Last game, the new TE did. And not being able to watch most games, did those wide receivers whiff blocks resulting in negative gains on plays?

It would be nice to see how the new team will come together with some open practices in Spring where the fans can see for themselves how things are going and not have to allow just on official hype. I missed that as I trusted and valued the opinion of at least one person who attended such practices.

Never seen people bow down and worship a guy that went 36-34. Now granted it was better than before he came by a mile, but geez. Certainly not Tilleresqe. THAT was a coach!

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
Another receiver declared for the portal this afternoon. Me thinks there is a much bigger reason all of our receivers are leaving than our record and the NIL

If I'm a coach and a decent wr went into the portal the week before the last game of the season I would have my doubts about taking him over all the other decent wrs in the portal who finished their season with their team mates.

Thoughts now?
Burks allegedly went into his meeting and wanted more than Scourton, Jenkins and Hartwig combined. I’m glad they told him no thank you

Burks allegedly went into his meeting and wanted more than Scourton, Jenkins and Hartwig combined. I’m glad they told him no thank you
Can't teach that kind of speed. Our opponents always put their best guy on him, so that shows you what they thought.

I hate to see him go - although if the allegation is true, it is understandable.

Can't teach that kind of speed. Our opponents always put their best guy on him, so that shows you what they thought.

I hate to see him go - although if the allegation is true, it is understandable.
Burks is a good player. 2nd team all conference good.

That said, he’s not worth a hefty NIL payday nor will he get one IMO. I don’t see him as an NFL caliber WR either so I guess you can’t blame him for wanting the cash now?

Burks is a good player. 2nd team all conference good.

That said, he’s not worth a hefty NIL payday nor will he get one IMO. I don’t see him as an NFL caliber WR either so I guess you can’t blame him for wanting the cash now?
2nd team all conference. That's pretty good. I didn't realize that.

Hated to see him leave. I'm not privy to the inner workings of the NIL situation. For many it's all about making money now. Unless they get this under control, college sports are doomed.

Hated to see him leave. I'm not privy to the inner workings of the NIL situation. For many it's all about making money now. Unless they get this under control, college sports are doomed.
Interesting comment, but I don't see how college sports is doomed. Rather, it is transitioning, especially football, more so than ever into a version of pro sports.

If is about NIL money then I cannot blame him. Unfortunately the days of loyalty to a school or coach if you are playing are over. If you are not playing then certainly I cannot have a problem with a transfer.

If is about NIL money then I cannot blame him. Unfortunately the days of loyalty to a school or coach if you are playing are over. If you are not playing then certainly I cannot have a problem with a transfer.
The days of a coach being loyal to a school were long gone before NIL - although to his credit, CJB didn't jump the first time Louisville begged him to come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT